Ubisoft on Revolution on Gameinformer

coverforstory.jpg

After months of waiting, Game Informer Magazine is proud to present the world exclusive first look at a game for the Nintendo Revolution.

But not just any game. Red Steel comes from the Ubisoft Paris team, which is comprised of industry veterans who worked on franchises like Prince of Persia, Far Cry Instincts, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell.

What kind of game is it? What is it about?

You’ll have to wait till the magazine hits the streets to find out. We answer these simple questions and many more in our eleven-page hands-on report. Look out for massive screenshots side by side with pictures of gamers actually demonstrating what you'll do with the Revolution remote.

In addition, we have an in-depth interview with Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications George Harrison, in which we poke and prod him about Nintendo’s upcoming console.

Well, some scans are already in the wild (I think it's not allowed to link them on Neowin, though?). FPS. Looks nice. Graphics seem to be not bad at all. Hard to tell from low-res scans though (looks no worse than Xbox360 or PS3), but they are supposed to be realtime, in-game shots. Interesting use of the Revmote (you can rotate the Revmote to hold the gun sideways, gangsta/ roomsweeper style)... :)

BTW, this game seems to be the Revolution-exclusive gun & swordplay game by Ubisoft, formerly codenamed 'Katana'. Joystiq has the scans.

Edited by LaNcom

More screens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmoco/

More news from GoNintendo:

*UPDATE* Here is some text from the article found by Psykus

. Comes from DIGG?typed up fast bSpencerocksb>?expect typos.[/center?at their best , video games are about immersion . players shouldnt feel like they are observing the action onscreen, they should be figuratively transported into a different world.d.< your avitar?s life should become your life , and its adventures should be your adventure. the controller in a player?s hands should transcend its role as a mere interface device; it should become the weapon that you see onscreen .most games try to push immersion with better graphics, more intense action , or overwhelming sound. but one upcoming console is doing something different , trying a new way to make that controller in your hand become something more. that console is the nintendo revolution.uti with the unveiling of the revolution?s motion based controller, most gamers envisioned the kaleidoscope of unique ideas that nintendo would use it for. but while the gaming public was preoccupied with demos of cooking and fishing games, one developer asked itself the question of how the revolution could be used to take a familiar genre to the next level.this company wanted to figure out how to use its unique controller not to develop an entirely new type of game, but to elevate an already-popular style. that company is ubisoft, and the answer to its self-imposed challenge is the revolution launch title known as red steel.d

it is highly unusual for a company like nintendo to allow the axclusive first look at one of its consoles through a 3rd party game like red steel.but as it turns out , nintendo has been closely involved in the development of this game, and has great confidence that it is a perfect way to introduce the world to revolution . developed by ubisoft paris , one of the publishers oldest and most experienced teams , red steel is a mixture of old and new: a fps that that uses the revolutions controller for aiming - and much more. while nintendo obviously has several games in development for the revolution launch , the company simply doesnt make games like red steel , so letting a respected publisher like ubisoft introduce the revolution through an easy -to - understand game type allows both companies to demonstrate what they do best ..?best ..?UPDATE #2UPDATE #2 - Prince NineOne1 is a team member of Ubisoft that has been known to post on IGN?s forums. His job status has been 100% confirmed by IGN. Having said that, Prince NineOne1 has commented on the screeshots of Red Steel, trying to squash rumors that these are artwork, or renders. Click the thumb below to check it out.

As i said before. because of easy development, the games on SDTV will look as good as on hdtv because you need lesser fillrate for sdtv.

Wow! Just wow, thats amazing maybe the games will be so immersive that we won't know what "graphical splender" we're missing. I think so really. I can't wait for revoultion although I REALLY hope it comes before Sept(when I go back to uni) because I know this damned thing is going to eat my life.

As i said before. because of easy development, the games on SDTV will look as good as on hdtv because you need lesser fillrate for sdtv.

I wish they did though. I'm hoping at least progressive scan 480p is standard. 480i doesn't look too well on HDTVs.

what i see:

1) clearly the graphics are inferior to the PS3 and 360. you can easily notice the lack of polygons in some area. although i must add that there seems to be a high amount of shaders in the screenshots - which is always nice to alleviate the low polygon count.

2) <fanboy> OMG!!!! a VIOLENT game on a Nintendo console!!1!11!!!ONE!!! </fanboy> that is GREAT! :) good to know that Nintendo is pushing the release of this "kiddy" console with a teen game. that oughta shut up the fanboys

3) the gameplay seems to be nice. the whole controller = gun thing :) i wanna see how this plays :D

I think EDTV progressive scan is already confirmed. Which means either 480p or maybe even 576p (Pal Progressive). Pal Progressive is not completely unlikely, as Nintendo already suggested to use Pal Plus as standard output for Gamecube development (higher resolution compared to NTSC, with the same frame rate).

Pal Plus is up to 720x576, 60Hz, interlaced

Pal Progressive is 720x576, 60Hz, progressive

Blog says you can use swordplay as well and if you throw the revmote while you hold the stick wired to the revmote, you can see the guy on the screen throw a hand grenade on the floor

"Apparently you can also jump over and take cover behind objects by moving the rev?s remote towards a upturned table or a wall, and reload by pulling the remote back. Split-screen and online multiplayer planned!"

Oh man this'll be sweet. Free online as well.

Very nice! I hope more Revolution games look this good.

Blog says you can use swordplay as well and if you throw the revmote while you hold the stick wired to the revmote, you can see the guy on the screen throw a hand grenade on the floor

Ugh, you throw the remote? That doesn't sound like the best idea, even with it wired to the other control.

You only make a throw movement... ;) According to the article, you can also roll grenades across the floor (below tables and such).

I think that these pictures look awesome, but your statement completely ignores the hdtv part, and what does the easy development part have to do with anything?

On sdtv they will look great. But on hdtv? Not so great. I would like to know how nintendo will be handling aspect ratios. I would actually like a 16:9 mode for my hdtv, but that would basically be stretching the resolution by 4x, and we all know how that looks.

I think that these pictures look awesome, but your statement completely ignores the hdtv part, and what does the easy development part have to do with anything?

On sdtv they will look great. But on hdtv? Not so great. I would like to know how nintendo will be handling aspect ratios. I would actually like a 16:9 mode for my hdtv, but that would basically be stretching the resolution by 4x, and we all know how that looks.

My Gamecube scaled to 480p very nicely on my HDTV, I'm sure the Revolution will do the same.

' date='Apr 8 2006, 02:29' post='587394540']

My Gamecube scaled to 480p very nicely on my HDTV, I'm sure the Revolution will do the same.

Do you think there will be an "adjusted" 16:9 mode? I really dont want to have a square anymore :/