Ubisoft on Revolution on Gameinformer

isn't the revolution only as powerful as the orginal xbox? not to be a troll, but are the pics just moc-ups considering the system will not even be able to do HD. Just a prettier Duck Hunt

isn't the revolution only as powerful as the orginal xbox? not to be a troll, but are the pics just moc-ups considering the system will not even be able to do HD. Just a prettier Duck Hunt

More like twice the power of the original Xbox.

It's also a FPS, so it's more like a 'prettier' Wolfenstein. Duck Hunt is a lightgun game.

And couldn't Top Spin 2 just be called a prettier Pong? Oblivion a prettier Ultima? GRAW a prettier... Ghost Recon?

Oh, that's right. All those games still control in basically the same way they always have. Whereas Red Steel controls in a totally new way while being a 'prettier' Wolfenstein.

You can't compare clockspeeds between different architectures.

I know you weren't trying to troll, but here's something that has been bugging me for a while...

Why does everyone think that because the Revolution won't be outputting at a HD resolution, it won't be able to produce great graphics?

HD is only a screen resolution. It has nothing to do with polygon counts, bump mapping, anti-aliasing, pixel shaders, etc. High Definition does not mean that the game will look fantastic. Yes, it will produce a crystal clear image, but that's about it. It is possible to have a system that is capable of producing fantastic graphics but only outputting in a SD resolution. The opposite is also true. It is possible to have a system that produces very poor graphics (ie. low polygon models, low resolution textures, etc) but also be able to output in HD.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest...

The 733 powerpc in the rev will be about as fast as a 1.5ghz p4 processor. I saw a macworld article that compared an apple g4 with a 733 power pc processor to a p41.5ghz machine. The apple won in most of the tests.

It's not that easy. The PPC with VMX (aka Altivec) units is much faster when it comes to floating point processing, but slower for integer processing. But we don't even know if Broadway will have VMX units - Gekko had none. But I'm also quite sure that the Revo will be much faster than the old Xbox - I mean, the Cube was about as fast already. Also, remember that the Revo will 'save' more than 70% processing power compared to the Xbox360 or PS3 due to the lack of HD and the integrated media DSP.

I know you weren't trying to troll, but here's something that has been bugging me for a while...

Why does everyone think that because the Revolution won't be outputting at a HD resolution, it won't be able to produce great graphics?

HD is only a screen resolution. It has nothing to do with polygon counts, bump mapping, anti-aliasing, pixel shaders, etc. High Definition does not mean that the game will look fantastic. Yes, it will produce a crystal clear image, but that's about it. It is possible to have a system that is capable of producing fantastic graphics but only outputting in a SD resolution. The opposite is also true. It is possible to have a system that produces very poor graphics (ie. low polygon models, low resolution textures, etc) but also be able to output in HD.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest...

Ummm. Run oblivion at 640 x 480. Then run it at 1280 x 760. Its not only a crystal clear image that you will be seeing at the higher resolution buddy. Its more of everything. More detail. More vibrance.

HD textures look great in hd. SD textures look great in sd, but are 'interpolated' for hd.

It might produce great graphics, but people are upset that it wont take advantage of hd.

Ummm. Run oblivion at 640 x 480. Then run it at 1280 x 760. Its not only a crystal clear image that you will be seeing at the higher resolution buddy. Its more of everything. More detail. More vibrance.

HD textures look great in hd. SD textures look great in sd, but are 'interpolated' for hd.

It might produce great graphics, but people are upset that it wont take advantage of hd.

There is no interpolation. Textures are textures, and they are applied the same way no matter what resolution a graphics chip is running at internally.

Now, a 480p image displayed on an HDTV with a native res of 720p will be interpolated. But it's not the console doing the interpolation, and it's not just the textures, the entire image is interpolated/upsampled.

I don't get what all the fuss is about HD anyway. I mean, how many people really have an HDTV besides tech geeks at this point? I personally don't know a single person that has it or plans to get it anytime in the near future. Sure, they'll probably get one for thier next TV, but how often do you buy a new TV? Every 10-15 years?

americans have a much bigger take up of hd tvs but here in australia it is not very big.. most people aren't considering buying one for some time. i think the only reason why i might like to have HD is that i will probably hook my rev up to a computer monitor.. so would be nice to have a bigger resolution. but i honestly don't care.. as i have said many times.. i love the old NES games :)

I don't get what all the fuss is about HD anyway. I mean, how many people really have an HDTV besides tech geeks at this point? I personally don't know a single person that has it or plans to get it anytime in the near future. Sure, they'll probably get one for thier next TV, but how often do you buy a new TV? Every 10-15 years?

Hell, I'm a tech geek (I luuuurve my gadgets), and even I don't have an HDTV. Then again, that's because they cost ?800 and it doesn't even have HDMI, just 720p component (unless I seemed to miss it). Even then, that's still pretty poor. You either get 1080p HDTV with HDMI/DVI ports or stick with an SDTV.

Right now, unless I go out of town and spend well over 2 grand (probably 3-4), I won't get a TV like that, even then, I won't get a TV with any more then 1 HDMI connection. That's SO not future proof. Meh.

Holy crap, I can't wait to get a splitscreen deathmatch going with this on video. Everyone will look like idiots pointing and shooting - it'll be hilarious.

Holy crap, I can't wait to get a splitscreen deathmatch going with this on video. Everyone will look like idiots pointing and shooting - it'll be hilarious.

or smash bros

Of all my friends I only know one person that doesn't have an HDTV. They aren't tech geeks, they just all ended up replacing their TVs in the past few years and so they bought HDTV's since they keep their TV's for awhile.

I don't have an HDTV, or know anyone that does. I play games on my 15" tv and I'm fine.

(Last time I said this, someone asked me if I was from Compton ... o_o)

Of all my friends I only know one person that doesn't have an HDTV. They aren't tech geeks, they just all ended up replacing their TVs in the past few years and so they bought HDTV's since they keep their TV's for awhile.

Of all my friends, I'm the only one I know that has an HDTV. We don't even use the HD in it though.

If I ever buy a 360 to play Oblivion, sure, it'll look nice on our 52 inch DLP. But I'd still rather buy a gamecube and 150$ worth of games than a 360. I miss my gamecube, shame I had to sell it. I'll getanother shortly though. Only 40$, games are often 5-15.