Nintendo DS? Fun?

I had a weird dream last night that I purchased a Nintendo DS and then after i bought it the sells clerk said that there weren't any games available for it yet. It was weird.

Anyway, so now I'm curious about what everyone thinks about the Nintendo DS? All I have right now is computer games. I really like computer games, and end up spending a lot of my free time playing them. Problem is, I get sick of being hunched at the computer all the time. I'm thinking something like the nintendo ds would be fun.

I looked at the PSP, but it is so damn expensive. The graphics look nice, and the screen is huge, but I'm not sure if I want to be that hard core about portable playing.

If I do get one, I'll be getting Mario Kart DS and the new Metriod that just came out. How is the multiplayer with both of those? I have DSL and a wireless router at my house, but my pings aren't always the best. At best I get about 180ms in Quake 4 and Half Life 2.

For <$200, it looks like it could be fun.

-shad

Yeah i find it fun, great especially if you travel occasionally. Metroid isnt out here yet (UK) but i'm waiting for it, i have Mario Kart and the wi-fi service works perfectly for me, always smooth although it can take a while to find players and you do get the odd laggy player but its fine really.

I have pretty much every gaming system, but right now I am playing a lot on my DS. I can't wait for the DS Lite to be released in the US (thinkin about importing one). DS has a lot of fun games. Metroid Hunters is good, I am also playing Tetris DS, Monkey Ball, Meteos, Sonic Rush, Mario Kart, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Mario 64. I got plenty others, but the DS is a great little handheld. The two screens is a novelty, and all of the games would be just as much fun on only one screen, and I would prefer one screen, but hey, whatcha gunna do.

It's amazing from what I've been playing so far. The games are truly innovative and a lot of fun. I'm currently playing Metroid Prime Hunters on it, and all i have to say is this has redefined (or the first true FPS) a FPS on a handheld console, the experience is just amazing. Moreover with DS WiFi,it's just amazing..a lot of times i just sit there and think about how i'm actually getting online and playing real people on a tiny handheld console, it's an awesome experience, Nintendo have executed this, so far, exceptionally well.

If you only want to play sports, racing games, and possibly first person shooter games, go for the PSP. However, if you want to go for everything else, then get the DS :)

Well its pretty simple if you want a 250 block that has no great games go for the psp

but if you want to have a handheld blast go with the DS and get games like MArio Kart Metroid and Tetris

Although if you wait till may you can get the ds lite and the new mario game

ohh and i thought i should mention that i own both the ds and psp

The DS is just totally awesome. It's all I play. For me, this is the 2nd golden age of gaming. I'm serious. I haven't had this much fun playing games since the SNES. There are just so many good games for the DS. Check out the top 5 DS games thread for some ideas of good games and what makes them good: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=449348

Well its pretty simple if you want a 250 block that has no great games go for the psp

but if you want to have a handheld blast go with the DS and get games like MArio Kart Metroid and Tetris

Although if you wait till may you can get the ds lite and the new mario game

ohh and i thought i should mention that i own both the ds and psp

The PSP has it's share of good games like GTA, Syphon Filter, Daxter, Pursuit Force, and Lumnies.

The PSP has it's share of good games like GTA, Syphon Filter, Daxter, Pursuit Force, and Lumnies.

Yea. We could have said the same about the PSP about a year ago, but it's gotten some pretty nice games lately. Too bad it's a bit too pricy still.

The DS is great. Pretty fun overall. It has great games (Advance Wars is the best IMO).

And about the PSP, the same. Its pretty fun, has great games and the multimedia capabilities make it even better.

Hmm...maybe I'll wait until this DS Lite comes out. Any ideas on price difference between current Nintendo DS and this upcomming DS Lite?

Is the screen larger on one compared to the other?

I have pretty much every gaming system, but right now I am playing a lot on my DS. I can't wait for the DS Lite to be released in the US (thinkin about importing one). DS has a lot of fun games. Metroid Hunters is good, I am also playing Tetris DS, Monkey Ball, Meteos, Sonic Rush, Mario Kart, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Mario 64. I got plenty others, but the DS is a great little handheld. The two screens is a novelty, and all of the games would be just as much fun on only one screen, and I would prefer one screen, but hey, whatcha gunna do.

Metroid Prime Hunters wouldn't work with only one screen as the touch screen. Also with the octopus ink item in Mario Kart it's quite helpful to have the map on the bottom screen.

If you only want to play sports, racing games, and possibly first person shooter games, go for the PSP. However, if you want to go for everything else, then get the DS :)

Hell no, DS for FPS. Right now each only has a couple but the quality of the FPS games is squarely in the DS' corner right now. It's not even debatable.

Hell no, DS for FPS. Right now each only has a couple but the quality of the FPS games is squarely in the DS' corner right now. It's not even debatable.

Hmm. I think the DS only has one quality FPS game (Metroid Prime Hunters). The only decent one before that was Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. I heard King Kong was terrible.

The thing about the DS is that 99% of the people that have it, absolutley love it. If you look at the posts of the people that have it, most of them are very affectionate towards it. You don't see that with the PSP.

Right now each only has a couple but the quality of the FPS games is squarely in the DS' corner right now. It's not even debatable.

Socom anybody?

Syphon Filter anybody?

Thats a very ignorant statement to make, and the two seem more or less even, with the psp getting more props.

PSP

game title genre score posted

From Russia With Love Shooter 7.1 4/04/2006

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror Shooter 9.3 3/10/2006

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo Shooter 8.3 11/07/2005

Coded Arms Shooter 7.0 7/08/2005

DS

game title genre score posted

Metroid Prime: Hunters Shooter 9.0 3/21/2006

Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball Max'd Shooter 4.0 2/08/2006

Space Invaders Revolution Shooter 5.0 8/30/2005

Nanostray Shooter 8.0 7/19/2005

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent Shooter 6.5 6/13/2005

PS: the PSP couldnt hold my attention, even with the "free" games I was given.

Hmm. I think the DS only has one quality FPS game (Metroid Prime Hunters). The only decent one before that was Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. I heard King Kong was terrible.

And the PSP has.....

1 first person shooter (Coded Arms) :whistle:

and its quality is debateable (syphon filter, Socom, and From Russia with Love, Nanostray, and Space invaders are all non-fps games)

As for my DS, ever since last summer the great games have just been coming. So far I have, Mario 64, Meteos, Kirby:Canvus Curse (great game, I have beat 3 times through), Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Madden 2006 (meh...), Mario Kart DS and now Metroid Prime: Hunters.

Those games all rock (except for one which shall remain nameless *cough football cough*) and have all gotten at least 20 hrs. of game time from me. If you wanna play the same ole uninspired junk that you play on your ps2/xbox then go with a psp, don't go with a ds because you will be dissapointed by the graphics. But if you are looking for a new experience, something refreshing that doesn't play like everyother game then try the DS, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Waait for the DS Lite, and as soon as you can pre-order one, do so, cause they'll probably sold out in days, just look at Japan. As far as the games, all I can say is that the DS is really hurting my pockets, not because it's expensive, but because there are soooo many great games coming out, that I just gotta catch 'em all (pardon the pun). Mario Kart, metroid, Tetris (my whole family loves it), and the new mario coming soon are just a few of the games that make the system great and unique. And if you play Nintendogs or Elektroplankton, you'll understand why Nintendo chose this direction with the system, in that it offers gameplay that is fun and simply can't be offered in any other console/handheld/PDA out there.

EDIT:

The thing about the DS is that 99% of the people that have it, absolutley love it. If you look at the posts of the people that have it, most of them are very affectionate towards it. You don't see that with the PSP.

Nice observation, that is very true

And to who mentioned that 1 screen would be better, I''ll just say that I don't see how I'll get used to the next Mario Kart on the Revolution, I've just gotten spoiled by the map on the lower screen on the DS, it's a great, great adition to the game.

I had a weird dream last night that I purchased a Nintendo DS and then after i bought it the sells clerk said that there weren't any games available for it yet. It was weird.

Anyway, so now I'm curious about what everyone thinks about the Nintendo DS? All I have right now is computer games. I really like computer games, and end up spending a lot of my free time playing them. Problem is, I get sick of being hunched at the computer all the time. I'm thinking something like the nintendo ds would be fun.

I looked at the PSP, but it is so damn expensive. The graphics look nice, and the screen is huge, but I'm not sure if I want to be that hard core about portable playing.

If I do get one, I'll be getting Mario Kart DS and the new Metriod that just came out. How is the multiplayer with both of those? I have DSL and a wireless router at my house, but my pings aren't always the best. At best I get about 180ms in Quake 4 and Half Life 2.

For <$200, it looks like it could be fun.

-shad

It better be fun, my DS Lite is gonna get here any day now. I already picked up Mario Kart and Metroid at work (go employee discount!), so I'll post if it just sucks badly, which it won't, but, you know, whatever.

Socom anybody?

Syphon Filter anybody?

Thats a very ignorant statement to make, and the two seem more or less even, with the psp getting more props.

Both of those are third person shooters. And the controls while well-done for what the PSP has are a little wonky with one stick and some face buttons (don't take this as an insult, it really isn't because those developers did an amazing job with what they had, but Metroid is just so perfectly fluid)

I think I've made up my mind and will get a DS Lite when it comes out. Although I'm tempted to go out and buy a DS right now, if there won't be a big price difference between the DS Lite that coming out and the current DS then I'll just wait.

Thanks for the input guys!