• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Home server

Question

creamer    0

Okay, basically at the end of the year/start of next year im looking at starting up an online shop and i am looking at hosting the shop (and eventually a few other of my sites) on my own server.

So i just have a few questions really. If anyone could help itd be greatly appreciated.

The plan is to maintain the site, basically via the internet using eCommerce software (most likely eCommerce itself or Trix.Neo's Shop-Trix), since i will not be really home due to me entering the RAAF; the original plan was to get a friend to write a CGI site for it, but thats pretty much out the window atm. Along with the website(s) i want to run an exchange server.

Since ive never built a server before (ive done some Administration courses before at TAFE), especially a web server, im not exactly sure about the specs i need for it. Basically i have been getting a list together of current hardware that i want to use (although that will most likely become obsolete by the time i start this venture) and can be upgraded if need be. A rough list is as follows:

- Tyan Thunder S2895UA2NRF: This motherboard supports two processors, so there is room for expandability if need be. But there is a few other boards from Tyan that support 4 processors, would it be overkill for a webserver to have this amount of processors, considering i might not draw too much traffic for a while?

- AMD Dual-Core Opteron 175 Processor: Basically the Tyan mobo above supports up to Opteron 200 processors, so this is my choice for the CPU. Dual Core running at 2.2Ghz, and i have the option of adding an additional CPU if need be.

- Corsair 2048MB TWINX-3200C2PRO (400Mhz) DDR RAM - CL2: To begin with i think i will only purchase one twinx pack, unless, of course, you think more RAM is a good idea for the time being?

- Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM Serial ATA-II w. 16MB Cache - RAID -or- Seagate Barracuda 7200.9, 300GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-300 HDD - 16MB (or even the 500GB model): I will purchase two of either of the hard drives (please recommend the best out of the two or a better alternative), and run them probably on RAID 0.

- Sapphire Radeon X300SE 128MB, TV/DVI, PCI-Ex16, Lite Retail Pack: Now i dont know whether the mobo has onboard video, and if it does then this obviously wont really be needed, but if not then i chose this card mainly due to it being the cheapest PCI-E card available to me. Bit of overkill for a server, but oh well.

- Pioneer DL DVD-RW: Ill back up any data on this.

Monitor, Mouse, KB arent really much of a big deal (hopefully i didnt miss anything) but i will be getting an Antec Server case, but im not quite sure how much power i should get for such a system.

I was thinking of building two servers instead of one, however. Would this be ideal, budget permitting, or again is it bit of an overkill for soemthing that may not see too much traffic to begin with?

Im going to be running Windows 2k3 64bit ed. with apache.

Sorry about the long topic, but these are some questions i had (and i may have others later on). Just one last thing, though. I have been looking around at ISPs in Australia and i was going to go with the ISP i use for ADSL currently and get a seperate line installed and get a business DSL plan (2048/2048). However, i may be able to obtain more bandwidth from another provider, Soul, but im suspecting it will be costly. So would a 2048 be adequate to run a server on, or should i opt for higher speeds? Obviously i know more upload would help my site.

Anyway, thats it for the moment. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Creamer

10 answers to this question

garethevans1986    8

Tell you the truth how much is it going to cost compared to your having your own server to acctually hosting it?

Im sure you could probably host it for less than 10% of the total cost of acctually buying and building your own.

Thats just my oppinion.

ChocIST

lunamonkey    118

That server is way overkill for a web server in terms of hardware.

They ran perfectly good webservers on windows 2000 5 years ago remember. Why the huge filespace? What are you hosting a bank or something?

creamer    0

Never really had the best experiences with webhosts. Its going to cost a significant amount more if i do it myself, but its something ive wanted to do for a bit and it will tie in with my near-future business plans.

edit: The huge hard drive space, as noted above, will fit in with my future plans. other than that i dont really need that much space to begin with but i may as well buy a big one straight up instead of buying a smaller one only to have to upgrade it later.

RDPaul    2

Well, what ever you do, that motherboard and processor are not compatible, Motherboard is a Socket 940, and the CPU is a socket 939....

creamer    0

ah, so it is. thanks for pointing that out. there are no 940 cpu's out yet are there? might have to go for another alternative.

edit:

Drops into existing AMD Opteron processor 940-pin sockets and AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core processor 939-pin sockets that are compatible with 90nm single-core processor architectures
. Am i reading that wrong, or does that say that i can use that 939 socket CPU in the 940 mobo?

betasp    56

So you are getting massive storage, but you are backing up to DVD. You are getting massive storage to run RAID 0. I certainly would not host with you. Honestly, for most of what you are doing, you could probably run a old PIII, but that is my opinion...

This is a server. You need to go RAID 1 or RAID 5 for redundancy. You need to look at something that will handle backing up the much stuff, and something that can go offsite. For cheap, I would backup to external disc so they can be move offsite.

creamer    0

So you are getting massive storage, but you are backing up to DVD. You are getting massive storage to run RAID 0. I certainly would not host with you. Honestly, for most of what you are doing, you could probably run a old PIII, but that is my opinion...

This is a server. You need to go RAID 1 or RAID 5 for redundancy. You need to look at something that will handle backing up the much stuff, and something that can go offsite. For cheap, I would backup to external disc so they can be move offsite.

Thanks, RAID 1 it is and ill add an external hdd to the list.

FYI this isnt a hosting venture, just a server to run several business and informational sites and a few other bits and pieces here and there. I might lower the specs a fair bit and use money from that to invest in stock level and the likes.

Regarding the bandwidth question though, would a 2048 (around 256kbs) upstream speed be alright for starting out, or should i look at getting a faster speed to begin with? Any recommendations?

derikt    0

Thanks, RAID 1 it is and ill add an external hdd to the list.

FYI this isnt a hosting venture, just a server to run several business and informational sites and a few other bits and pieces here and there. I might lower the specs a fair bit and use money from that to invest in stock level and the likes.

Regarding the bandwidth question though, would a 2048 (around 256kbs) upstream speed be alright for starting out, or should i look at getting a faster speed to begin with? Any recommendations?

That depends on how much traffic you expect and what type of content you are hosting. Thats a pretty quick upload and probably pretty expensive. If its just a few sites that should be plenty.

creamer    0

Thanks for the input everyone. i appreciate it

Sub    2

Also, why build such a bad ass Windows 64 server and run apache? Why not run IIS? If you want to run apache, your better off running it under Linux (free btw)