[Competition] $50 for a website logo

Question

Okay all, it's competition time again.

I've seen some fantastic work come out from designers over here at Neowin, so I've decided to place a competition in to your hands.

At the moment, the prize is $50. Could go up depending on the quality of entries, but it will certainly not be below this mark. Closing date at the moment will be Friday May 26th, with a winner announced on Monday 1st June - so you've got PLENTY of time to get involved on this.

Okay, so what's the logo for?

I am currently in the throws of creating a new social networking site aimed at the Gay/Lesbian community. The name of the site will be "Gay Nexus", and will include things such as friends lists, profiles, live chat, etc. Basically, a "MySpace" aimed at the gay/lesbian community.

There are no real size requirements of the logo, but it should probably be in a vector format as it will need to easily scale up and down in size. I'd also like to easily be able to change colours of the logo so that it will integrate well with colour schemes that the user can choose - a bit like on Neowin forums whereby the logo turns silver, black, etc, depending on which theme you choose.

As a secondary part to this (and it is not essential to win the competition), the trading name of the company running the site will be "Flamescape". It'd be nice to have a logo for that as well, however don't feel obliged to do that as well - the logo for the site is the main priority.

So, basically, that's it! I hope you guys can come up with some great work, and I look forward to working with you!

Any questions at all, feel free to ask in this thread.

I like the ideas, and agree that the 2nd one is the better of the lot. I must admit, I'm not overly keen on either of the fonts used though.

This is just an idea maybe you'll like it. It's a professional looking CMYK flavored logo. Many color schemes available and if you like it I'll tune it up a little bit for a final version.

nexus0ho.png

EDIT: And while we're at it here's a Flamescape logo:

flamescape4zy.png

Edited by theantidote

kinetix63 Just wondering how you're going to make this site, as I have an idea like it but it's a for teenagers by teenagers ^.^ and I was wondering if you're using a script or if you're coding it yourself.

my attempt:

nexus7em.png

can change colors with .psd file just changing the gradient.

examples:

nexusblack3uq.png

nexusblue2dv.png

nexuscolor5rr.png

u can use all kinds of gradients.

Edited by leoj15

Hi Guys!

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply to all of this - I've been away for the easter weekend and only just got back!

Okay, so I'll go through and provide feedback on all of those who have posted so far - thank you everyone, there's some great work here!

MrEggsalad: Unfortunately, the design looks a little too unprofessional for what I'm after.

ZiGGA: Yours is my favourite logo so far. It's very sharp, very professional, and I love the tag-line. The little "character" you made of the X is superb as well. My ONLY concern with it is that it looks a little like Gay.com's logo (go to gay.com and look at the favicon).

theantidote: Probably a little simplistic for my liking.

Pox: I really like yours too! I like the style of the text (i.e. the whole gradient thing going on there) but the logo kind of makes it appear to be a male oriented site - which it won't be.

SamIAm: I like all of yours a lot as well. Although I really want to try and stear away from using gender symbols in the gaynexus logo if at all possible. That's one of the reasons that I really like ZiGGA's. I'd love to have some kind of symbol that you can look at and instantly recognise as being the logo for the gaynexus site.

Moshin Naqi: I don't know why, but it just looks a little bit religious....

leoj15: I really like yours too! The final one looks best, but again I want to stear away from using gender symbols.

X@vier: Probably too large for what I am looking for.

I hope all of this can be of some use, and gets the creative juices flowing, and some revisions to the logo's we've had submitted so far.

If you've got any questions at all, please feel free to leave a message in this thread or drop me a PM

In some sense it is similar to Gay.com just because it's a figure, but that logo is shaped completely different and I don't think you'd get any grief if you were to use mine, only from some strange gay person who loves Gay.com or something. I could do a bit of editing on it or I've also got this other idea which would be nice if I can just get it right (Working on it) But for now I had this idea for a header. Let me know what you think.

Two here, one with the colours I used on the first page and a revised version with a pink to represent the female gender and blue to represent the male gender.

post-59176-1145308738_thumb.jpg

post-59176-1145309101_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZiGGA