Windows

not being nasty but it's been out for a while and has been posted here before :)

Tip: Use search :)

Will users of the older Beta 2 be able to auto-update to this new build? I know Beta 2 automatically uses Microsoft Update to download new spyware definitions.

... I used to have problems with the auto update feature in the previous release... you know what I'm talking about, when it tells you new signatures are available and it keeps telling you the same over and over again. Is it still a problem now? Or it's not Defender's fault?

Well those who love the tray icon will be glad to know there is now an option to show the tray icon at all times. Also, quick scan seems faster. I'm not sure how long it took to scan before, but it only took a little over a minute now.

Where can I get the signature files to manually update it? I'm behind a WSUS and they dont have the updates on that server.

I haven't seen any way to download the definitions manually. Ask your sys-admin if he can update the WSUS.

... I used to have problems with the auto update feature in the previous release... you know what I'm talking about, when it tells you new signatures are available and it keeps telling you the same over and over again. Is it still a problem now? Or it's not Defender's fault?

You either don't have the service enabled or you don't have the check box in the options enabled. I always disable the auto protection so before I figured that out it would keep telling me to update over and over again.

What is this version number?

I did just install Defender yesterday

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1347.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1303.0

Definition Version: 1.14.1395.2

Is that the newest?

"Version: 1347

Date Published: 4/12/2006"

What is this version number?

I did just install Defender yesterday

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1347.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1303.0

Definition Version: 1.14.1395.2

Is that the newest?

Did you even look? it's right here in this same thread! :shiftyninja:

I haven't seen any way to download the definitions manually. Ask your sys-admin if he can update the WSUS.

Heh, I am the admin and there is no way I'm going to get approval for this so I can play with it on my test machine. Oh well.