17GB Partition Gone but There :-S

Righty then...one is foocked off to say the least (that wasn't swearing, just a figure of speech).

Firstly - I was using my Secondary Drive.

Now, I used PowerQuests Partition Magic 7 as I always do to create a partition to store my files while I was gonna' format/reinstall o/s.

Now, it froze on 58%, and I had to reboot, and when I did my partition was yellow with "PqRP" in the middle...after 3 hours of work I was able to regain the partition back again. Now here's the problem, One directory in my root of my HD is there but unopenable, and there is 17Gb of data/information/files in there. I used data recovery methods to search for deleted files...but the thing is, they're not deleted - they're just unreadable and I think they're all corrupt (over 1,500 mp3s / over 5Gb of vids) and work.

These aren't il-legal as I backed up my CD's...is there any way of sorting this out..? I really need to recover those files.

Thanks in advance :rambo:

To be frank, I would kiss those files good bye....

Something like Ontrack Disk Recovery might be able to do it, but if its an NTFS parition you need to buy the pro version which will run you $299 or something silly like that if I remember correctly.

You can always send it to a data recovery center :-)....

If you have 2 drives, I would put my os on the first one, and all my static files on the 2nd. So you can wipe the OS clean for a fresh install and dont have to worry about partitions and moving around gigs of mp3s or whatever that takes up a lot of time...

Kibler

same thing happened to me, it was on XP and I booted to the recovery console ran chkdsk /p then started in Safe Mode with Networking to dump them on another PC... couldn't boot in normal mode after that, and even the Recovery console didn't ask for the admin pass since it couldn't evidently detect a windows install lol

Man. Last week I got so ****ed with a win98 20 gig partition, I just fdisked the whole thing. Don't care what I lost. It wasn't that important. Now it is running smooth. Especially after I showed that hard drive my 10 pound hammer.! :D

Hey thanks guys,

That's what I thought, I was just hoping that there's a way to sort this out, I spent over 4 hours last night downloading and downloading (and did I mention...downloading). Lucky I have a cable modem, I downloaded between 300-500Mb of files last night, I recovering (mentally) slowly, and that'll teach me to back up my data.

Just when I installed my new CD-RW and was ready to finish backing up :dead: