• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How many have Switched to Mac since OSX

azazel-    0
Originally posted by VaxoP

im off to sleep kids, have a lab tomorrow morning.

superfula: theres always the discrepancy of the 8th year, did someone upgrade that year yet or not. but whatever, use 9 years if you like, same result.

if you want to spend 4x more on a mac whose performace (as proved with numerous benchmarks) is worse than a pc, then more power to you. if you want to purchase a system whos security and stabiliy is the same as *nix on a pc, more power to you. if you want to purchase a mac which has 1000x less software available for it, whos market is 10% or less of computers so you cant relate to the majority, use the majoritys apps, more power to you. if you want to buy a mac simply because of its purdy colors or that pc reminds you of microsoft, more power to you. if you are content with buying a brand new machine and throwing out your old stuff every 4 years, more power to you. its your money, its your choice, its your IQ.

whatever.

im off to sleep.

I'll get a lot more selling an ibook used than you will that generic GeForce card once it's obsolete in 4 months...oh, wait...that card already is obsolete. Same way with your processor...memory, motherboard...good luck.

Sleep well. Hope the Clue Fairy visits you tonite.

Jafo    0

Here are my points about apple/mac

The ticket price (could own two pc's for the price of one mac.)

Software.... sure you can do graphics.

Gamming...waiting for patches and ports the lifespan of you computer while the PC world games like mad is fun isn't it?

The lies....apple has too lie too sell there product.

"No blue screen of death!!" No **** Einstein your not on the x-86 platform.

Instead you will be blessed with the fatal freeze where it requires the plug being yeanked from the wall.

I could go on and on like over priced ram where they say "no you can't use windows ram in a mac bull etc. etc.

I was an avid macintosh apple user. Unless you know the command to reboot an apple48k then dont argue with me:)

Mac-fixit.com (not exactly flawless and easy too use.)

Also, whats with easy too use? Do people who use there computer frequently and for other than mp3s and a fake fishtank care about ease of use?

Macs are pretty, they do great icons and the artist types love them. But they are no better, no faster, no dummer etc. A mac will not get you a girlfriend.

My biggest point is ticket price... yow. For what?

VaxoP    0

superfula: theres always the discrepancy of the 8th year, did someone upgrade that year yet or not. but whatever, use 9 years if you like, same result.

if you want to spend 4x more on a mac whose performace (as proved with numerous benchmarks) is worse than a pc, then more power to you. if you want to purchase a system whos security and stabiliy is the same as *nix on a pc, more power to you. if you want to purchase a mac which has 1000x less software available for it, whos market is 10% or less of computers so you cant relate to the majority, use the majoritys apps, more power to you. if you want to buy a mac simply because of its purdy colors or that pc reminds you of microsoft, more power to you. if you are content with buying a brand new machine and throwing out your old stuff every 4 years, more power to you. its your money, its your choice, its your IQ.

whatever.

im off to sleep.

ps: azazel i just caught your point before heading off. do you think that somehow, that chip from pricewatch is not the same as the one intel is selling (maybe the store bought it, smashed it up purposely so they could sell it for less), do you think that geforce is different from nvidias card because of the same reason, do you think that motherboard is any different from the original manufacturers because the store may have "degraded its performance" by removing a transistor, then you need help. its the same thing.

Chad    0

if you want to spend 4x more on a mac whose performace (as proved with numerous benchmarks) is worse than a pc, then more power to you.

You still don't get it. How is that possible.

if you want to purchase a system whos security and stabiliy is the same as *nix on a pc, more power to you. if you want to purchase a mac which has 1000x less software available for it, whos market is 10% or less of computers so you cant relate to the majority, use the majoritys apps, more power to you.

1000x less apps? Where did you get that? Or is that just another number you go out of thin air... I know the majority is pc. I used pcs for 20 years. I know what I'm talking about.

if you want to buy a mac simply because of its purdy colors or that pc reminds you of microsoft, more power to you. if you are content with buying a brand new machine and throwing out your old stuff every 4 years, more power to you. its your money, its your choice, its your IQ.

So what's your excuse?

azazel-    0
Originally posted by Jafo

Here are my points about apple/mac

The ticket price (could own two pc's for the price of one mac.)

Software.... sure you can do graphics.

Gamming...waiting for patches and ports the lifespan of you computer while the PC world games like mad is fun isn't it?

The lies....apple has too lie too sell there product.

"No blue screen of death!!" No **** Einstein your not on the x-86 platform.

Instead you will be blessed with the fatal freeze where it requires the plug being yeanked from the wall.

I could go on and on like over priced ram where they say "no you can't use windows ram in a mac bull etc. etc.

I was an avid macintosh apple user. Unless you know the command to reboot an apple48k then dont argue with me:)

Mac-fixit.com (not exactly flawless and easy too use.)

Also, whats with easy too use? Do people who use there computer frequently and for other than mp3s and a fake fishtank care about ease of use?

Macs are pretty, they do great icons and the artist types love them. But they are no better, no faster, no dummer etc. A mac will not get you a girlfriend.

My biggest point is ticket price... yow. For what?

I'm already married, so that's not an issue... ;)

azazel-    0

whatever.

im off to sleep.

ps: azazel i just caught your point before heading off. do you think that somehow, that chip from pricewatch is not the same as the one intel is selling (maybe the store bought it, smashed it up purposely so they could sell it for less), do you think that geforce is different from nvidias card because of the same reason, do you think that motherboard is any different from the original manufacturers because the store may have "degraded its performance" by removing a transistor, then you need help. its the same thing.

It's amazing, how you can completely, absolutely and totally miss a point when I all but came to your house and drew you a freakin' crayon picture. I give up. You can't teach a rock to sing...

Just curious...at that lab tomorrow, will you be getting apple sauce after you figure out the puzzle, or banana chips?

RomeoXP1.0.8.6.    0

THIS THREAD IS THE LAMEST THREAD ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH

superfula IS A BIG DELUSIONAL IDIOT , INSULTING OTHERS IS JUST WRONG. HA HA

I know just look at me. But no one appreciates your comments super big dum ess fula, are inappropriate as well. Just go take your medication and sit in a quiet room, and shut the ell up.

azazel-    0
Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

I know just look at me. But no one appreciates your comments super big dum ess fula, are inappropriate as well. Just go take your medication and sit in a quiet room, and shut the ell up.

This is a joke, right? Someone tell me this guy is just being sarcastic...

Chad    0
Originally posted by RomeoXP1.0.8.6.

Where did I insult anyone? Go ahead, show me. Kinda makes one wonder how you can make statement like that, then insult me. Geez

sOma    0
Originally posted by azazel-

PEOPLE DOING PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS IN A GRAPHICS SHOP ARE NOT GOING TO BE USING SOME PIECE OF SH!T HOME-BUILT CRAP FROM PRICEWATCH. THEY ARE GOING TO PURCHASE PRE-BUILT SYSTEMS! YOU KNOW, LIKE FROM DELL, OR GATEWAY, OR APPLE. THEY WANT TECH SUPPORT, HARWARE AND SOFTWARE WARRANTIES, SYSTEM PACKAGES AND SOFTWARE BUNDLES. DO YOU NOT GRASP THIS CONCEPT? IS THIS TOO DIFFICULT FOR YOU? YOU ARE MAKING A COMPARISON BETWEEN A HIGH-END PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATION SYSTEM AND SOME PILE OF CRAP YOU GOT OFF FSCKING PRICEWATCH. YES, THEY ARE THE SAME COMPONENTS. I UNDERSTAND THAT. BUT IT IS AN UNFAIR COMPARISON BECAUSE ANYONE WITH THE MONEY AND REASON TO PURCHASE A DUAL G4 POWERMAC, LET ALONE SEVERAL OF THEM, WILL NOT WASTE THEIR TIME BUILDING THE SYSTEM THEMSELF. TRY TO FIND ONE MAC USER ON HERE THAT HAS A DUAL G4 1.25 GHZ POWERMAC SITTING IN THEIR LIVING ROOM.

I have to disagree with you... Pricewatch is a quality website, in my opinion. It lists great deals on hardware, and it's where most of my PC parts come from. Just because I don't have tech support, etc, doesn't mean my PC is a piece of sh*t... I have enough knowledge to be my own tech support. As for warranties... I have warranties on the hardware I've bought... and at the same time, I take care of my hardware... and if something like a fire happens, or a flood, etc... there's always insurance.

I know you're talking about shops and companies, but you pretty much just insulted lots of home users who have custom built PCs... home PC users would argue that companies like Gateway put proprietary cheap crap in their computers... A brand-name computer is not better than a self-built computer... (when it comes to PCs) I mean... who wants to use a dell or gateway motherboard over an abit or other high quality brand motherboard? I wonder if they're even upgradeable?

I'm quite happy with my custom built computer. I know there's no sucky hardware in it because I put it together after having chosen the hardware myself. I have no plans on buying a brand-name computer unless it's a laptop, or unless it's a mac.

Wickedkitten    12

damn a thread bashing macs and i get in right at the end of it, damn.

i was going to say something but I'm laughing too hard at the minute.

azazel-    0
Originally posted by sOma

I have to disagree with you... Pricewatch is a quality website, in my opinion. It lists great deals on hardware, and it's where most of my PC parts come from. Just because I don't have tech support, etc, doesn't mean my PC is a piece of sh*t... I have enough knowledge to be my own tech support. As for warranties... I have warranties on the hardware I've bought... and at the same time, I take care of my hardware... and if something like a fire happens, or a flood, etc... there's always insurance.

I know you're talking about shops and companies, but you pretty much just insulted lots of home users who have custom built PCs... home PC users would argue that companies like Gateway put proprietary cheap crap in their computers... A brand-name computer is not better than a self-built computer... (when it comes to PCs) I mean... who wants to use a dell or gateway motherboard over an abit or other high quality brand motherboard? I wonder if they're even upgradeable?

I'm quite happy with my custom built computer. I know there's no sucky hardware in it because I put it together after having chosen the hardware myself. I have no plans on buying a brand-name computer unless it's a laptop, or unless it's a mac.

PEOPLE DOING PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS IN A GRAPHICS SHOP ARE NOT GOING TO BE USING SOME PIECE OF SH!T HOME-BUILT CRAP FROM PRICEWATCH.

Theres a difference between shelling out a couple of grand for top-of-the-line hardware to build a system (including from pricewatch), and buying bargain bin cheap crap, like Vaxo seems to be advocating. Yeah, I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of sites from Pricewatch as well. Not all of it is crap. But if you read what he said about the hardware he got from there...well...sounds like stuff I'd have collecting dust in the closet.

The point I was trying to make is that there are different types of people buying different types of systems than what he seemed to realize. While his main concern seems to be how high his fps in ut2k3 can get, other peoples jobs depend on their systems. If you were doing final edits on an article thats the main spread in Rolling Stone...you think there would be a home-built beige box on your desk at work, or are you gonna have a pre-built graphics workstation (with someone to sue if the system goes down and your work is lost). See my point?

I got a bit harsh because his ignorance was ****ing me off. Didn't mean to offend anyone, but hopefully you get what I was trying to say.

Gator    0
Originally posted by Wickedkitten

damn a thread bashing macs and i get in right at the end of it, damn.

i was going to say something but I'm laughing too hard at the minute.

Ewwww, watch out PeeCee kiddies, Wickedkitten will take you to school.

(I went to bed laughing at this thread.).

sOma    0
Originally posted by azazel-

Theres a difference between shelling out a couple of grand for top-of-the-line hardware to build a system (including from pricewatch), and buying bargain bin cheap crap, like Vaxo seems to be advocating. Yeah, I've bought quite a bit of stuff off of sites from Pricewatch as well. Not all of it is crap. But if you read what he said about the hardware he got from there...well...sounds like stuff I'd have collecting dust in the closet.

The point I was trying to make is that there are different types of people buying different types of systems than what he seemed to realize. While his main concern seems to be how high his fps in ut2k3 can get, other peoples jobs depend on their systems. If you were doing final edits on an article thats the main spread in Rolling Stone...you think there would be a home-built beige box on your desk at work, or are you gonna have a pre-built graphics workstation (with someone to sue if the system goes down and your work is lost). See my point?

I got a bit harsh because his ignorance was ****ing me off. Didn't mean to offend anyone, but hopefully you get what I was trying to say.

I understand.

While we're on the topic of PC hardware, (and since we're already off the topic of this thread :p) I have been considering upgrading. Currently I have a 1.4ghz Athlon Thunderbird with a Gigabyte 7DXR Motherboard... I'm thinking of getting an athlon XP 2000, but I'd also like to get a new motherboard that supports 2100 DDR Ram, and preferably one that has RAID on it... anyone have any suggestions on stable, reliable motherboards?

Wickedkitten    12
Originally posted by sOma

I understand.

While we're on the topic of PC hardware, (and since we're already off the topic of this thread :p) I have been considering upgrading. Currently I have a 1.4ghz Athlon Thunderbird with a Gigabyte 7DXR Motherboard... I'm thinking of getting an athlon XP 2000, but I'd also like to get a new motherboard that supports 2100 DDR Ram, and preferably one that has RAID on it... anyone have any suggestions on stable, reliable motherboards?

thats the same setup that is on the pc here, and it already DOES support 2100 ddr ram and raid lol. Unless you are seriously just wanting a new mobo

sOma    0
Originally posted by Wickedkitten

thats the same setup that is on the pc here, and it already DOES support 2100 ddr ram and raid lol. Unless you are seriously just wanting a new mobo

Yeah... I just want a new motherboard... I mean, I like this motherboard, but It'd be nice to have a more modern one... :)

Septimus    9

Just my 2 cents but, I don't know of any reason why you would need to switch to a MAC.

They are not better. Period.

I have been, and still am, a Mac user for 10 years, and still use them in work everyday for video editing, rich media authoring etc. I also use PC's for exactly the same thing (Real/Windows Media/MPEG4,codecs under NDA on the PC), but QuickTime production is easier on the Mac and we have to support QT.

There isn't anything you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC, they aren't more stable than an XP/*nix OS running on a decent quality PC (professional build or home/custom).

It all comes down to personal preference. If you like Mac's, then cool. [rant]But it annoys the crap out of me when people have to dictate that they are so much better.[/rant]

KingChris    0

I don't have or intend to buy a mac but...

I used to build my own PCs etc but it costs more, in time and effort.

Now I only buy from Dell

My PC is a work tool if something breaks I want it fixed asap (or better still it should not break)

If I have to waste a few days calling the tech suport company of a hard disk or a mobo then wait for an RMA then send the thing back etc etc it could be a week before a new one arrives.

Dell like apple create products that work properly as they should from the box, they are simply better quality as they are tested to work as one piece.

Apple hardware is more expensive but you get what you pay for, 100% working,

icuhackn    1

I have a little of each. FreeBSD, Linux, Windows and yes Mac OS X. Just broadening the horizons.

neo1980    0

I started this thread to see who owns a mac now and who doesnt, not who likes a mac and who doesnt. but dont close this thread yet

Dazzla    5

Question: How many have Switched to Mac since OSX

Answer: OMFG!!!11 MaCs are crap why do U want that piece of ****, lolololol PROOF PC>MAC!!!11

This type of thread ****es me off, answer the question, or don't read the damn thread. If I deleted all the off topic posts there would only be a few replies.

And vaxoXP my friend, "PROOF PC>MAC" is not proof at all, it's proof it beat it in a benchmark. Shame you don't see past the stats.

Thread closed