[UK] First Car

Hey all,

Right, I'm taking my theory test on Tuesday and if I pass, which I am hoping and praying I do, I will seriously be looking to buy my first car so I can practise in it before I take my actual practical driving test. I think that by doing this, along with my actual driving lessons will allow me to improve and I will also be able to drive more and get more experience.

Now, I'm learning in a VW Lupo and it is so easy to drive, I was thinking about this for my first car. I basically will want something that is easy enough to drive, reliable and will just get me from A-to-B. Now, of course the insurance must be fairly reasonable. I just wondered, is there any cars in particular that you guys would recommend for a first-time driver?

That said, I do want a nice first car - I will probably have about ?2,500 to spend.

Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Lee

Edit:>

Passed my theory, so come on guys some suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking either VW Polo/Lupo, or a Ford Ka.

Edited by Devoto.

Definately get a Ferrari then.

Hah, seriously... have you considered saving your money for a while? Do you absolutely need to buy a car right now? If not then I'd wait and get something a little nice when you can afford it. Go around and drive a bunch of different cars. I'd say for you, anything in the compact car range including the Honda Civic or maybe an older Jetta if you like dubbin'.

you want a vauxhall omega 2.5 auto cdx

i got that for my first car, its a great drive! real easy control..

one its a auot so he isnt going to get driving practise gears are the main thing they look for in control and he wont get insured in his own name with a 2.5 litre engine if he was to go under his own name or even with his parents name its still a push

Is that ?2,500 including insurance? If so alot of the newer cars come with a years free insurance. ?2500 should get you quite far depending on how old you are.

Is that ?2,500 including insurance? If so alot of the newer cars come with a years free insurance. ?2500 should get you quite far depending on how old you are.

Well, it would be ?2500 for the car - I think my Parents would pay my insurance, or at least go half.

I'm 19, and I'm in a well paid job - I don't really spend that much so I have a fair bit already saved up that I could spend on a car however I don't want to go overboard.

A cheap, reliable yet fairly trendy car would suit me down to the grou:) :)

Then you'll presumably want something fairly new. I'd look at the newer ford focus' maybe? Or the fiat punto or maybe the fiat cinquecento. Not sure on what style of car you're looking for. I'm assuming a small hatchback. They're all fairly cheap depending on how new you go. You may want to look at the mondeo's, they're bigger. Or a corsa or saxo or peugot 106 type thing? Although if you're in a corsa or saxo or anything like that and you're young you'll get all the boyracers revving at you at the traffic lights.

I'm also learning in a Lupo - I hate the damn thing.

I don't like the gear box, the clutch, the engine, the interior, basically everything about the car I hate.

It's basically made me hate every VW and I don't really know why. Perhaps some day I'll test a nice Golf and it'll turn my opinion around. :)

But, from what I know, Polos are nice cars (mate has one, drives like a nutter, handles very well), and Focuses are aswell.

Mum has a Corsa, ('03), nice and roomy, engine has a bit of poke, but I've never driven it so I can't really give a verdict on how it drives.

I drive a Volkswagen Polo 1.2L and its absolutely fantastic. VW's are so solidly built and reliable - its a German car, can't go wrong. I'd advise to spend the ?2500 on one. If not, then go for a Seat Ibiza since basically the entire thing is made of Volkswagen parts. The engine is even Volkswagen built.

For insurance, use http://www.quinn-direct.co.uk.

EDIT: Take a look at this: For ?2250 its a damn bargain - 1.4L, not too many miles on the clock. Nishi>. You arn't gonna get much better than that.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-Seat-Ibiza-1-4-...1QQcmdZViewItem

And a VW:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-VOLKSWAGEN-POLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Max

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I am definately thinking about a VW, probably a Polo which is what I'm learning in at the moment.

My instructor also mentioned Seat's so I'll be checking them out as well as a Ford Ka, which my Dad suggested because the insurance isn't too bad on them and I'd be able to get a very nice model.

I'd go with a little corsa.

Good points about a corsa...

-Cheap to run

-Cheap to buy

-Cheap parts so if anything breaks it won't cost you an arm and a leg

-very cheap insurance

-A nice drive and for a little car it is quite quick

-Easy to park :)

Now to sound like a fanboy... i drive a little 1.0 Corsa and it has an eco-tech engine which lowers fuel emissions which brings the insurance down even more. As a first car i think it is a brilliant buy.

I'd go with a little corsa.

Good points about a corsa...

-Cheap to run

-Cheap to buy

-Cheap parts so if anything breaks it won't cost you an arm and a leg

-very cheap insurance

-A nice drive and for a little car it is quite quick

-Easy to park :)

Now to sound like a fanboy... i drive a little 1.0 Corsa and it has an eco-tech engine which lowers fuel emissions which brings the insurance down even more. As a first car i think it is a brilliant buy.

Hmm, yeah I see what you mean but everyone my age (18,19) has a Corsa!

hmm, since this is about cars that arent sold in the US, i guess i dont have much to say... other than the fact that American cars that are sold in the US are pretty cheap

Hmm, yeah I see what you mean but everyone my age (18,19) has a Corsa!

Are you looking to buy a car for the car or are you looking to buy a car for the image (within reason)?

VWs are very solid cars. but, if you dont take care of them, they will crap out on you in the future (like all cars)

you should also check out the VW forums (forums.vwvortex.com although they are a bit tough there)

Get a fiesta, they are fords equivalent to vauxhall corsa. Good car cheap parts, insurance is quite low. I would recommend a Fiesta if you don't want a corsa.

For ?2500 you should be able to get a fairly decent one.

Peugeot 106 Quiksilver 1.4i Litre. Looks nice, drives pretty fast, and not too expensive on insurance either.

Edit:

Passed my theory, so come on guys some suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking either VW Polo/Lupo, or a Ford Ka.

Hmm ford KA, got one of those its nice enough drive but they have a tiny boot and they are only a 4 seater (although you can put 1 or both the back seats down to get extra boot space)

Quite nippy around town, bit sluggish at accellerating on the motorway but not that bad.

Also its a bugger if you need to get at anything to work on it (although i don't know much about cars and i imagine most small cars are probly the same).

Edited by dragon2611

I second a Ford KA. It was my first car, I passed my test about a mont after my 17th birthday, and during that time had my dad take me around picking my sister up etc - it's really good practice i think personally to be able to drive under supervision while your prep'ing for your test. As for the KA's image... well... there are quite a few KA's modded up around here (Lancashire). Just make sure you get colour coded bumpers and if possible the standard spoiler ;). A couple month's after I passed my test I put ?900 worth of ICE in it haha:)) sounds good in small cars. Now after 2 years (turned 19 2 days ago) I just bought a Peugeot 306 XSi 2ltr!:DD. KA is an insurance group 2 by the way, probably looking around ?900 to insure it.

Oh and check out www.kaklub.co.uk

...not that i'm a boy racer or anythin:D:D

Citreon Saxo.

This is the least safe car ive ever driven.

Very low powered engine means you wotn get out of the way of any danger in time.

Drum brakes mean you wont stop any time soon after hitting the anchors.

The chasis / steering rack and transmition might as well all be made from paper.

its a cheap car, and it feels it.

avoid IMO, too many boy racer kids are getting these things and they are dangerous sheds ,and they arent even remotley fast even in comparison to other cars of the same engine size.