[Auto] Compressor Problem?

So I'm driving home tonight and I notice some shudders... next thing I know I've got an odd smell occurring... so I pull over... open the hood and a ton of smoke flies out. As it clears I can see some remaining smoke by the compressor. It smelled like burnt rubber and had an electrical smell along with it. It's not a timing chain issue (thank god... I just had that fixed).

My dad come out with another car and started mine up again... drove it home and it acted like normal. Didn't try turning the air or defroster on... I'll do that tomorrow when I work up the courage... but I'm guessing its a compressor issue.

Do those symptoms... smoke... rubber burning/electrical smell sound like a compressor going???

Edit: My defroster was on right before it happened.

Edited by shockz

No idea what a defroster is over there. :p

Anyway, the electrical burning smell plus the rubber leads me to belive somethings gone horribly wrong with the electrics, could possibly be the electric clutch which will engage the compressor.

I'm not sure though but thats my best bet.

No idea what a defroster is over there:p:p

Anyway, the electrical burning smell plus the rubber leads me to belive somethings gone horribly wrong with the electrics, could possibly be the electric clutch which will engage the compressor.

The heated windscreen?

No idea what a defroster is over there:p:p

hmm... its also known as a defogger. Its the thing that clears your windows when they fog up.

Tried turning the a/c on... man. Horrible sounds and smells. Checked (in the day light)... a pulley for the compressor screwed up. The compressor is probably messed up too.

I'd get that checked asap as the drive for the compressor comes off of either the fanbelt or cambelt iirc, and it could stuff up even more than that.

Sounds like the compressor is royally shagged though. Expect $$$.