Networking Question

I have two computers connected to a netgear router, one with ethernet and the other wirelessly.

How can i make it so that i can send files from one computer to the other through the network/router?

or do i need a server to do that sort of thing?

thanks

You need to perform three operations.

Firstly you need a working network. As you said you have a router, we can assume that it's dishing out Internet access to both PC's OK, therefore the network addressing is automatic. If not, you need to look into setting that up.

Secondly - and we're assuming you're systems are both running Win32 here - , both PC's (ideally) need to be in the same Workgroup. This is setup in the System control panel applet under 2000/XP/2003, or Network applet under 9x/NT4.

Lastly, you need to enable file sharing. There is a quick run down of that in the first section of the how-to here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0006.asp.

If you are using linux to Windows you need to look into Samba shares, I imagine that would apply to Mac > Windows too, though I'm not the person to advise you over Mac.

Then all you do to access the shares is either use My Network Places / Network Neighbourhood or type the UNC path as outlined in the link above (The article is for WinCE, but the process is the same).