Homebrew Gameboy Advance SP

So my friend sold me her gameboy advance SP for $40 yesterday. I didn't want it for the games, I wanted it for the fat full color display and the control pad. I price out small electronic equipment all the time, and $40 for such a nice screen is a steal.....if i can figure out how to interface with it.

So I'm working on a project with my roommate for a design contest and I'm wanting to use the gameboy advance as my control console for the system (which consists of a bunch of microcontrollers and PID controllers). Ideally I'd like to write some software for the gameboy advance that will read the sensors that are hooked up to my microcontrollers and provide some parameter adjustments via the comm-link port on the SP.

However, to get started I'm going to need one of them "flash cartridges" so I can start playing with writing software for the unit. I can't find any retailers within the US and I'm nervous about buying them from overseas. Not to mention there are a couple dozen different kinds of flash cartridge systems out there. I'd like not to spend too much on it, as we are trying to keep the cost low as part of the requirements for the design contest.

If you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Again: i'm only interested in hacking the gameboy sp for my own application...i could really careless about playing games on it. I do know that these flash cartridges are associated with game piracy and that is not what I am interested in. If this thread gets closed will you please PM or email me if you have any info?

Thanks!

-Shad

Edit: oops..i meant for this to be in the Nintendo Gaming section....... sry.

Edited by Shadrack