TV replacement

My rca 27 inch flat screen broke down and i want to buy a new TV. But then i saw this and wonder if this would be good for everyday cable tv viewing or if its better to get a 42 inch DLP big screen tv. I dont know a lot about tv's so some one help me find a good replacement for under $1500-1600.

and also,

DLP vs projection vs plasma, vs lcd which one would give me the best picture and last longer for much budget

Edited by Ultomato

For the price range you're looking at, you will be looking towards a projection set. I would recommend giving the Toshiba 42HM66 a look. It's a new DLP set from Toshiba and it seems to have a good picture and great looking exterior design elements. However, if you shrink the screen size to something like 26 - 32", I would recommend looking at the new Samsung LCD LNS series.

If you buy that LCD from costco, you shouldn't expect anything in terms of quality. I can't stand when people only look at the numbers and judge a set.

when you talk of quality, do u mean picture quality or the actual build quality? because if its the build quality i can always return it to a costco store

Both, but mainly picture quality. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same cheap 1080p garbage panel that Westinghouse used last year.

So i guess my best bet is the Samsung 42 inch for under 1500? But im not sure if it is hd ready, is it?

If it's a DLP set, it's HD Compatible, at least. Unless you tell me the model, I can't tell you if it has a built in tuner or not.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EXVI...glance&n=172282 Samsung HL-R4266W 42" Widescreen HDTV DLP TV , im guessing it doesnt have a built in tuner.
Actually, it does have a built-in tuner. I have that exact TV. Also, I don't know why, but that picture from Amazon cuts off the bottom of the TV. It's where the speakers are, and it's not detachable, so it's stupid to cut it out of the picture. Here's a better picture: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-42-...roductDetail.do
oh and do i have to buy little accessories like component cables/adaptors to use a dvd player?
You don't have to, but if your DVD player is progressive scan and has component outputs, then you should definitely use the component cables to connect it to the TV.

actually, i dont have a dvd player so is getting a progessive scan dvd and getting component cables is the way to go for the best picture from a dvd?

i also saw this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8&Sku=S223-5024

i just need something that plays DVDs at their full potential and watching a combination of both HD and standard cable so is it worth 500 dollars for 1080p and 8 more inches?

Edited by Ultomato

The 1080p set will obviously give you a better picture, but you should know that it does not accept 1080p over the HDMI as it's last year's model. The new models this year finally accept 1080p over the hdmi.

If you get a DVD player, you may want to consider an upconverting DVD player that will get all your DVD's to near-HD quality.

Ok last question, the Samsung DVD-HD850 includes a hdmi cable, and since hdmi cables are expensive would this be a better choice?

Na, the 850 has some picture and build quality issues. If you absolutely want a Samsung, look at the 950 (last year's model) or the 960 (this year's model)

i think i might buy this because of 1080p and i can only buy from costco because i have 500 dollars store credit with them. Costco also has a samsung dlp 42 inch for 1499 im eyeing to. So is a bigger screen better or bigger resolution?

You know that TVs today only ACCEPT 1080p, not display it. It downconverts to 1080i.

You know that TVs today only ACCEPT 1080p, not display it. It downconverts to 1080i.

The newer Samsung DLP's accept and show 1080p. The Sony SXRD's display 1080p but only accept up to 1080i over the HDMI.

Ok wow amazon has the black samsung dvd player for 250 when another place has it for 144...

this makes me worry about the Samsung 42inch dlp.. are there any better deals, or other TVs between 1500-1800 that are better than the samsung?

There are no sets in the price range better than the Samsung with the exception of a few Toshiba's This year's sets, especially the 50hm66 are very nice and relatively inexpensive starting at $2088 at Best Buy. I'm sure if you shop around, you could find it even cheaper.

It's a good set. It's not the best set on the market, but it's good. One thing I would suggest, once getting everything hooked up wit hgood cabling, is buy the AVIA calibration disc and let it guide you through perfectly configuring the colors and such on the set. I find the Samsung DLP's a bit harder to tune perfectly, but the disc should make it a lot easier.