Connecting failure causing PC hangup

For the last 4 to 5 weeks my connection keeps hanging up at random intervals, it can be every few minutes or it can be ok all day then the next day not connect at all. When the connection fails i get the redial box pop up and i just try to reconnect sometimes successfully sometimes not but occasional my connection will fails but i wont get the redial box pooping up.

Bringing up the network connections box stats my connection as "Connected" but but it actually don't work, I've tried updating a program, FireFox, windows update etc and when this happens my PC sort of freezes. By this i mean i can still use windows but programs fail to launch. With some persistence i can just about get process explorer running and it does actually show the program i attempted to launch as running, but there not and no attempt to restart them through process explorer is successful.

When the above happens(the mini PC freeze) and i have to restart so i can have the problem with my connection all over again, i get a box popping up stating xpcom:eventreceiver failed to close(something like that, im assuming you know the one im talking about), can anyone please suggest something that may help me solve this problem, thanks.

Right well if i am too help you i am going to need a little more infomation than that...

Here are a few pointers.

1. Computer specs

2. Internet specs (not IP, and password, lol just the speed will be fine)

3.The specifics of the message that pops up.

Thanks Charlie Turner, below is the information you require.

XpPro Sp2 with all latest hot-fixes

P4 3.0Ghz Ht

2.0Gb Ram

80Gb (Windows drive)

120Gb (media files)

160Gb (Backup)

Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128Mb

Creative Sound Audigy 2 Zs

DigiTv Card

BT Voyager 100 USB Modem (2Mb Pipex) With firefox 1.5.0.2

Error Message:

XPCOM: Event Receiver

Not responding

End Now or (whatever the standard windows message is)

I shouldn't think it is because i have had the voyager modem from some years now along with the same driver, i have also recently uninstalled the modem and clean installed it thinking it was the modem but still the same problem.

ok maybe something is trying to use the conection as well, Like trying to connect else were so you get a "busy" signal. Try running a full spyware scan and av scan and remove the nastys. Also try using the tech deisk that comes with the bt pack, if memory serves correct there should be diagnostic tools on there

englishmen...

Right i think i might know what the prob is - but can you tell me what anti-virus you are using (if it is zone alarm then i definatly know! lol) - but if not let me know and i will look into it for you.

Cheers ;)

It looks like i may be at last getting somewhere in fixing this issue as i am indeed using Zone Alarm 6.1.744.001.

Try installing the latest Windows security patches from Microsoft, and the latest Zone Alarm (6.1.737).

(No change to firefox).

This in its self may well sove the problems... :yes:

Thanks but as i previously stated I've got all the latest patches installed for XP and zone alarm 6.1.744.001 the version I'm currently using, is the latest version. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Ahhh silly me .... :rolleyes: lol - should have read that when i was twitching on coffe at about 4 in the morning when i posted that :pinch: !

I dunno how much you know about basic coding? - But you may have to fire an event in your com class...

// evh_server.h

#pragma once

[ dual, uuid("00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001") ]

__interface IEvents {

[id(1)] HRESULT MyEvent([in] int value);

};

[ dual, uuid("00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002") ]

__interface IEventSource {

[id(1)] HRESULT FireEvent();

};

class DECLSPEC_UUID("530DF3AD-6936-3214-A83B-27B63C7997C4") CSource;

// evh_server.cpp

// compile with: /LD

// post-build command: Regsvr32.exe /s evh_server.dll

#define _ATL_ATTRIBUTES 1

#include <atlbase.h>

#include <atlcom.h>

#include "evh_server.h"

[ module(dll, name="EventSource", uuid="6E46B59E-89C3-4c15-A6D8-B8A1CEC98830") ];

[coclass, event_source(com), uuid("530DF3AD-6936-3214-A83B-27B63C7997C4")]

class CSource : public IEventSource {

public:

__event __interface IEvents;

HRESULT FireEvent() {

__raise MyEvent(123);

return S_OK;

}

};

// evh_client.cpp

// compile with: /link /OPT:NOREF

#define _ATL_ATTRIBUTES 1

#include <atlbase.h>

#include <atlcom.h>

#include <stdio.h>

#include "evh_server.h"

[ module(name="EventReceiver") ];

[ event_receiver(com) ]

class CReceiver {

public:

HRESULT MyHandler1(int nValue) {

printf_s("MyHandler1 was called with value %d.\n", nValue);

return S_OK;

}

HRESULT MyHandler2(int nValue) {

printf_s("MyHandler2 was called with value %d.\n", nValue);

return S_OK;

}

void HookEvent(IEventSource* pSource) {

__hook(&IEvents::MyEvent, pSource, &CReceiver::MyHandler1);

__hook(&IEvents::MyEvent, pSource, &CReceiver::MyHandler2);

}

void UnhookEvent(IEventSource* pSource) {

__unhook(&IEvents::MyEvent, pSource, &CReceiver::MyHandler1);

__unhook(&IEvents::MyEvent, pSource, &CReceiver::MyHandler2);

}

};

int main() {

// Create COM object

CoInitialize(NULL);

{

IEventSource* pSource = 0;

HRESULT hr = CoCreateInstance(__uuidof(CSource), NULL, CLSCTX_ALL, __uuidof(IEventSource), (void **) &pSource);

if (FAILED(hr)) {

return -1;

}

// Create receiver and fire event

CReceiver receiver;

receiver.HookEvent(pSource);

pSource->FireEvent();

receiver.UnhookEvent(pSource);

}

CoUninitialize();

return 0;

}

If that dont mean nothing then it is just that i will have to do more work to try and find an easier way of doing it :cry: But hopefully you know a bit of coding....

If not let me know and i will have a good hunt for you - dont worry about asking i am more than happy to help.