In Defense of Wii

Oh yea! I forgot about the RE series. Well, that is one game...

good work on conveniently 'missing' the very next post...my post which lists another 34 M rated games for Gamecube.

:rolleyes:

:o OK, Call me slow. But I've only just read the news that Wii wont be HD compliant?!

The reduced specs I can handle

The controller I can handle

Even the name seems to be bearable now

But no HD?!?

Why not? Every other Next Gen Console will be, it looks like Nintendo are shooting themselves in the foot.....repeatedly.

this has been debated over and over again about the HD thing.

as i have said b4 i personally don't care. HD in australia is not really taking off at all in terms of TV sets and actual TV. the % of people with cable isn't that high and our free to air tv isn't that great to make you want to see it in HD anyway.. haha. i think we are meant to be shutting off the analog signal in 2008 but that ain't going to happen. not one of my friends has an HD tv, in all seriousness the only people i know who have HD tvs are top managers at the place i worked last year.

i understand in america HD take-up has been much more and i can see why american's might think its crazy. but hey i can't see myself having an HD tv within the next 4 or 5 so years.. so its not a problem for me :)

:o OK, Call me slow. But I've only just read the news that Wii wont be HD compliant?!

The reduced specs I can handle

The controller I can handle

Even the name seems to be bearable now

But no HD?!?

Why not? Every other Next Gen Console will be, it looks like Nintendo are shooting themselves in the foot.....repeatedly.

When is "because everyone else is doing it" ever a good reason to do ANYTHING?

Nintendo has a few reasons for sitting out the HD era.

The Wii will support 16x9 480p resolution, instead of 16x9 720p resolution. For one, this makes the hardware less expensive, and the console itself cheaper. It also prevents developers from bloating their budget with the creation of all kinds of HD textures and such whose impact is minimal on the actual experience of the gameplay. This keeps game production costs down and results in less expensive games. I mean, before the XBox 360 hit, it was all about having an HD game console. It's been what, less than 6 months now, and the HD furor has died. People aren't looking for graphical quality in their XBox 360 games. They're looking for games worth playing.

Couple that with the fact that Nintendo is targeting the public as a whole and not 'gamers' specifically, and that an overwhelming majority of TV owners still don't have HD sets, and suddenly the cost-benefit ratio goes down the toilet. It's the same reason Nintendo stopped putting the digital AV output on the Gamecube. They understood that only a tiny minority were utilizing the progressive scan output, and only a few developers were creating games with p-scan compatibility. So they dropped it to lower costs. While someone like myself is glad he has an older gamecube with the digital output, the large majority of gamecube owners don't even know it's back there. They're more concerned with the game itself, and not whether the picture is interlaced or not.

Would it be nice if the Wii was HD compatible? Sure. I've got an HDTV myself. But is it necessary? Not at all. What good is HD going to do when I'm playing all those old school NES games via the virtual console?

Now, obviously, the argument can be made that cross-console games won't sell well on the Wii because of this. If the game is available for XBox360 and Wii, why not buy the HD XBox360 version? Well, that's where the Wii's controller comes into play. If Nintendo gets developers to customize Wii ports to utilize the features of the new controller, than it's a different argument altogether. Do you go for the version of the game that has a better resolution, or do you go for the version of the game that's more interactive and provides a more immersive experience? Take Madden '07 for example. Nintendo's made a deal with EA where EA is producing a Wii specific version of Madden from the ground up, and it will utilize all the interactive features of the new controller. Pull the remote up to hike the ball. Make a throwing motion to throw the ball. swing the controller up to kick. I'm sure the list will go on. Aside from the lazy-ass gamers that don't want to be bothered with anything more than moving their thumb a few fractions of an inch, which do you think people would choose? The game that's eye-candy or the game that actually let's you get 'into the game'?

Edited by Jack31081

good work on conveniently 'missing' the very next post...my post which lists another 34 M rated games for Gamecube.

:rolleyes:

It didn't load. I've had issues with FF lately. Anyways, 34, not as bad as I thought. Anyone knwo the #'s of M for the other consols (box and 'station)?

Nintendo's made a deal with EA where EA is producing a Wii specific version of Madden from the ground up, and it will utilize all the interactive features of the new controller. Pull the remote up to hike the ball. Make a throwing motion to throw the ball. swing the controller up to kick. I'm sure the list will go on. Aside from the lazy-ass gamers that don't want to be bothered with anything more than moving their thumb a few fractions of an inch, which do you think people would choose? The game that's eye-candy or the game that actually let's you get 'into the game'?

I?ve given up the battle of explaining to you how Wii is just a really, really, REALLY silly name. I know it?s the games that sell the system and not the name. I get that part, you don?t have to explain it but I would love to hear the rejected names for the system. Sony should release the Playstation Him while MS pushes out the XBOX Us. Do you see how silly it is? They are trying to teach us like we?re school kids. What?s next? The Sony Playstation Prepositional Phrase? XBOX 3.14159 ?

I?m insulted by your ?lazy-ass gamer? comment. I pray there?s a way to turn off that ?feature? and *gasp*, use the controller normally. Did it ever occur to you that people (i.e. handicapped) with limited motion of their arms might want to play? Gee, but according to your logic, they?re ?lazy?. I don?t know what world you live in but there are a good percentage of people who game to get away from their normal life, such as work, school, stress, etc etc. They don?t want to move their arms around like they suffer from epilepsy. People can get ?immersed? into a game by just sitting there and letting their minds & imaginations take over. They don?t need to act like Michael Jordan or Jerry Rice in their living room to get ?in the game?. Similar to games, a person can get into movies by just sitting on a couch and letting the movie entertain them. They don?t need to swallow a red pill to get ?into the Matrix? or slap on a ring and vanish to better experience LOTR.

I pray you are getting paid well by Nintendo because you have yet to play the system but yet you claim you know it?s going to be such a great system. You previously referred to me as being trollish or what have you, but who?s the real troll/fanboy? A person who defends a product without yet touching it or someone offering a sensible opinion on said product?

I’ve given up the battle of explaining to you how Wii is just a really, really, REALLY silly name. I know it’s the games that sell the system and not the name. I get that part, you don’t have to explain it but I would love to hear the rejected names for the system. Sony should release the Playstation Him while MS pushes out the XBOX Us. Do you see how silly it is? They are trying to teach us like we’re school kids. What’s next? The Sony Playstation Prepositional Phrase? XBOX 3.14159 ?

I've never said the name's not silly. One some level, it is. What I am saying, and what I've always said, is that it doesn't matter if it's silly or not. See the difference? I'd be making the same argument if Microsoft had named their next console the 'Buzzz'.

I’m insulted by your “lazy-ass gamer” comment. I pray there’s a way to turn off that “feature” and *gasp*, use the controller normally. Did it ever occur to you that people (i.e. handicapped) with limited motion of their arms might want to play? Gee, but according to your logic, they’re “lazy”. I don’t know what world you live in but there are a good percentage of people who game to get away from their normal life, such as work, school, stress, etc etc. They don’t want to move their arms around like they suffer from epilepsy. People can get “immersed” into a game by just sitting there and letting their minds & imaginations take over. They don’t need to act like Michael Jordan or Jerry Rice in their living room to get “in the game”. Similar to games, a person can get into movies by just sitting on a couch and letting the movie entertain them. They don’t need to swallow a red pill to get “into the Matrix” or slap on a ring and vanish to better experience LOTR.

Come on. The handicapped bit is just low and you know damn well that's not what i meant. Do you really need to stretch that far to make a point? Besides, what does it matter if you can turn it off or not? You've already made it clear you don't want one. Anyway, this is beside the main point of the thread, being the name of the console.

I pray you are getting paid well by Nintendo because you have yet to play the system but yet you claim you know it’s going to be such a great system. You previously referred to me as being trollish or what have you, but who’s the real troll/fanboy? A person who defends a product without yet touching it or someone offering a sensible opinion on said product?

Where have I said it's going to be such a great system? I'm making counter arguments to arguments which I think are a bit absurd. Like I said before, I'm not defending the choice of name...I'm simply saying that it matters much less than many think it does. Nor am I defending the product. Looking at Madden '07, EA could very well make it so I have to jump around my living room just to play the game, which might be a bit over the top. Using gestures with the controller is one thing. Throwing my controller at the wall is quite another. The concept is sound, but we obviously have to wait to see if it works practically.

If you like, you're free to peruse my previous posts and find all the points where I proclaim the Wii to be "such a great system".

I've argued two things in this thread.

1) The choice of the name 'Wii', or any other name for that matter (within reason), is not going to adversely affect console sales by itself

2) Leaving HD compatibility out of the Wii is not necessarily a bad thing

If you think I'm a troll or a fanboy for arguing those two points, I think you're mistaken. I guess my mistake is arguing principles on an online forum where taking a stand on any position automatically puts you on the extreme and you're either a liberal/neocon/troll/fanboy/psycho/etc.

It didn't load. I've had issues with FF lately. Anyways, 34, not as bad as I thought. Anyone knwo the #'s of M for the other consols (box and 'station)?

If you want full number of M rated games, here you go (courtesy of gamerankings.com):

PS2: 212

XBox: 182

Gamecube: 44

I'd also give you what percentage that is of the total number of games on the system, but that's a bit harder to track down.

Edited by Jack31081

Ok kids calm down before a mod start giving you the "20s" :p

It?s nice to see people discussing and exchanging their points of view in a civilized manner but you win nothing by flaming someone else's opinion, after all it?s just a name? unless of course decide to tattoo the ?Wii? logo in your f:laugh:??:rofl:ug:p :rofl: :p

Ok kids calm down before a mod start giving you the "20s" :p

You believe my posts are worthy of a warning?

It’s nice to see people discussing and exchanging their points of view in a civilized manner but you win nothing by flaming someone else's opinion, after all it’s just a name

That's been my point all along. It is just a name.

flaming someone else's opinion

This is called a discussion, not a flamefest. Learn the difference. Jack31081 and I are having a very civilized discussion and that is something I rarely find on Neowin anymore. I would definitely like to thank Jack31081 for being an intelligent and thoughtful person in his replies. Thanks man lol.

it?s just a name

I believe it's more like a mindset by Nintendo that disappoints me. Taking the easy way, appealing to their base, choosing a silly name, etc. Yes, the controller is risky, I will give them credit for that, but, I just have a feeling they will continue to publish games for kids and/or people who like "fun" games. (broken record lol) The way I see things, (in this round of consoles) MS appealed to the early adapters, Sony will appeal to the power hungry/deep pocket types, and Nintendo will appeal to the financially conservative/simple-minded/retro gamers.

I believe it's more like a mindset by Nintendo that disappoints me. Taking the easy way, appealing to their base, choosing a silly name, etc. Yes, the controller is risky, I will give them credit for that, but, I just have a feeling they will continue to publish games for kids and/or people who like "fun" games. (broken record lol) The way I see things, (in this round of consoles) MS appealed to the early adapters, Sony will appeal to the power hungry/deep pocket types, and Nintendo will appeal to the financially conservative/simple-minded/retro gamers.

I'd tend to agree with those assessments, if not for one thing. So many games now are cross-console. Practically any game worth its salt that isn't developed by Sony, MS or Nintendo is available on at least two consoles. And then you have your exclusives and semi-exclusives (MGS, GTA, Resident Evil, Halo, etc).

So that leaves us with the first party games. Sony? Well Sony isn't that great and first party games. MS? MS makes a lot of strategy, action, racing games. Nintendo does their 'classic' games. I use the word 'classic' because many of their first party games use what they know to be successful. Mario. Link. Samus. But I'll always refrain from using the 'kiddie' or 'childish' nomenclature. Just as many adults play Nintendo games as kids. An E rating is just that...'Everyone'. But yes, the "fun" monikor is appropriate, because that's what Nintendo's about. Being able to just pick up a controller and have fun. No need for thick instruction manuals. No simulations. No need for liters of realistic organs flying across the screen. In fact, I just checked game rankings, and there's not a single 'EC' game listed for any of the big three systems (early childhood).

I submit that it all goes back to the N64. For whatever reason, the N64's hardware oversights made it difficult for developers to utilize anything but the simplest of textures, which I suppose is the reason why many games for N64 had this bright, lightly textured color palette. Look at Mario 64. Lots of bright, solid colors. Lots of games followed suit, and with the Playstation as the main competition, the N64 got the reputation of being "for kids". Obviously, this isn't true anymore with the Gamecube. Three hours of 'Eternal Darkness' will prove that. But the reputation is still there, and while I appreciate your and others desire to have Nintendo force that monkey off their back, I really don't think Nintendo is that concerned about it. They know that people who want to play Nintendo games will buy their console, and Nintendo is going to continue to live happy and make a healthy profit, regardless of where they rank in the "console wars".

\i see what you did there with the 'simple-minded' thing. i think there are many a nintendo fan that would disagree.

Edited by Jack31081

I bet if you post all the kiddy games for the ps2 you will come up with more then on the gamecube.

Say it with me: volume

Case in point: If a line of products sees a lot of lemons it doesn?t necessarily deem it an inferior product. If these items sell like hotcakes then naturally there will be a higher chance of failed/lemon systems. What?s a more important stat is the number of how many games available compared to ?childish? ones. Find that percentage and you will find the most important stat. PS2 has more games compared to Gamecube.

Understand my thought process?

In fact, I just checked game rankings, and there's not a single 'EC' game listed for any of the big three systems (early childhood).

In my defense the only reason I know of this one is I had to write a paper about the ESRB system recently and I needed to find examples for all rankings.

Dora the Explorer: Journey to the Purple Planet - eC Rank :blush:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/930351.asp

I bet if you post all the kiddy games for the ps2 you will come up with more then on the gamecube.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree w/ ozzy on this one. The PS2 has so many more games available than the gamecube it's ridiculous. I was in a thread not wholly unlike this one some time back and the discussion was the whole "xbox=mature, gamecube=kiddie" thing. I managed to track down numbers of how many total games were available for each system, and then broke them down by ESRB rating.

I don't recall the results exactly, but the PS2 had so many more games than either of the other consoles it was ridiculous. The PS2 is the mass market console, so it's gonna get the most games, across all ESRB ratings.

As far as the percentage of "kiddie" games on the PS2 versus the gamecube, that's rather difficult to determine, as all kiddie games are hit with the 'E' rating, which is shared by just about every other mainstream game that doesn't involve violence or "adult situations". Just thinking to yourself, "how many kiddie games have I seen for this console" doesn't work either because there are probably oodles of games released for either system that you've never seen.

In my defense the only reason I know of this one is I had to write a paper about the ESRB system recently and I needed to find examples for all rankings.

Dora the Explorer: Journey to the Purple Planet - eC Rank :blush:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/930351.asp

Is that the only EC game you were able to find for any system?

If so, I only have one thing to say. ..."HAHAZZ! PS2 is teh k1ddi3 c0nsoLe!!1!!11 ROFLCOPTER!!1"

...ok, that's outta my system now.

On another note, I fail to see why Nintendo is playing catch up with other console and not even doing that right.

Online is really gonna be supported starting this next gen while other consoles had them a gen back. I understand better graphics but I also know they won't be next gen like the other consoles with predicted xbox like graphics. Now Nintendo is gonna support HD probably in the next gen.

The way I see it Nintendo has learned nothing from the NGC's failure and that they are only relying on Virtual Console and a cheap price. I will be getting this console because of these two reasons,I am afraid not enough people will be attracted also considering as the gamers get older and lose touch with old consoles like the NES.

Also remember that most gamers were introduced with the last gen (N64/PS1) more likely PS2 and Xbox.

But my point is that if the ps2 has more kiddy games then the gamecube means something.

Especially if atleast half of the gamecube lineup is not kiddy.

On another note, I fail to see why Nintendo is playing catch up with other console and not even doing that right.

Online is really gonna be supported starting this next gen while other consoles had them a gen back. I understand better graphics but I also know they won't be next gen like the other consoles with predicted xbox like graphics. Now Nintendo is gonna support HD probably in the next gen.

The way I see it Nintendo has learned nothing from the NGC's failure and that they are only relying on Virtual Console and a cheap price. I will be getting this console because of these two reasons,I am afraid not enough people will be attracted also considering as the gamers get older and lose touch with old consoles like the NES.

Also remember that most gamers were introduced with the last gen (N64/PS1) more likely PS2 and Xbox.

Nintendo is not playing catch up with the other two. That's a huge misconception among the "gamer" crowd. Everything is a 'war' with them. PC vs. console. PC vs. Mac. Nintendo vs. Sony vs. MS. Nintendo has stated many times that they have no intention, and no need of getting in the middle of the Sony vs. MS ****ing match.

Sure, you may say "well, they only say that because they're losing". Well, "losing" is a very subjective term. Nintendo may sell fewer units than MS or Sony, but they make more of a profit from each unit, and they start making a profit much earlier in the console's life cycle, if not right away. Why? Because they didn't bother with the costs of getting their console online when most of their target audience didn't care about online gaming anyway. And not spending the money on supporting HD when most of their target audience doesn't even have an HDTV yet and doesn't plan on getting on in the next 3-4 years.

Sure, Nintendo is losing. They're losing all the way to the bank.

We'll theirs a strange thing about it Jack. If you look up the same game on the gamecube it's got an E rating so technically you could call the PS2 the young child system.

-Anthony,

nobody confirmed Xbox-like graphics for Wii. If anything, Xbox360 has Xbox-like graphics (for a few games). ;) The "Xbox-like" was based on a misconception: When Matt (IGN) published the leaked (as in: still unconfirmed) specs, he who knows jack about system architecture compared it to the original Xbox, just because the CPUs may have about the same clock frequency. But comparing two _completely_ different systems based on the CPU clock!? This is obviously as wrong as it gets. The Gamecube was already about as powerful as the Xbox. Wii will be several times as powerful. Given that Xbox360 and PS3 waste at least half their processing power on producing HD graphics more than 80% of the consumers can't display or won't notice anyway, Wii's graphics will not look that much worse. Red Steel looks quite good, and the scans on the net were not only bad quality, the screens also were from a development version of the game on early Wii devkits.

And that online-stuff is nonsense as well. PS2 had no online functionality. Xbox had. But early in the Xbox lifecycle, next to nobody used it. The DS, released a few months prior to the PSP, had online support. Wii will have online support, and should be released before PS3. So, the "other consoles" you mentioned are exactly _one_ of three systems. And we have no idea how good or bad Wi-Fi Connection for Wii or Sony's Hub-thingy will be. Wi-Fi Connection is supposed to be free, they have the VC, probably new, original, downloadable games, probably downloadable game demos for the DS - things look not too bad I'd say.