(uk) Fed up with my ISP

Hello

I am a pipex customer, and quite frankly, they are total rubbish.

Firstly, they are limiting the bittorrent protocol like most ISP's are doing, totally unacceptable, not only do they limit it, but they limit is 24/7, and guess what?.. they don't state it ANYWHERE on their website, which actually means they are going on their TOC (terms of service) which would mean i could sue them.

Bittorrent is a wonderful protocol, and it's getting used more and more by big businesses. (world of warcraft uses it for it's updates for example)

Secondly, their website is totally rubbish (www.pipex.com). I see no forum!.. Hmm i wonder why?... well, it would be full of complaints.

This new net nutrality law the us congress is pushing on to the whole of the world's internet to me sounds like a load of ****, not just because it limits outside websites, but just because purley, ISP's sites are usually ****ing aweful anyway, how they dare to impose this legislation is beyond me.

If ISP's want some f****** traffic, they should sort out their own websites, the dumb c****.

Well if they are scanning packets and blocking ones they think to be p2p/bittorrent simply encrypt the packets. This can be done in Azurues. Or if they a blocking certain ports, just change the default port to one like 55000...

I'm sure there are ways of getting around the limit.

Sorry, but they do actually state that they have the right to manage and shape the connections across its network. All you really have to do is look at the types of residential services they provide:

======================================

Pipex Start

* Up to 2Mb broadband

* 1GB usage allowance*

* FREE home phone calls

* 2 FREE months when you switch

* FREE modem and connection

* FREE firewall and anti-virus software

Pipex Go

* Uncapped usage allowance*

* Up to 2Mb broadband

* SAVE ?6 per month when you upgrade to 3000 mins of home phone calls

Pipex Max

* Uncapped usage allowance*

* New up to 8Mb broadband

* Upgrade to 3000 mins of home phone calls for only ?4.99

======================================

First lemme ask you what type of service you have, if you have the 'starter' package, unfortunetly you have no recourse as it is clearly explained .

However if you have the ones toughted as being 'uncapped' you may have a reason to bitchl. However, Pipex does include the catch-all statment that they, "reserver the right to restrict traffic deemed harmfull, or determinental to its....blah blah blah blah". I am not familiar with UK law, don't take my word as 100% fact, but these type of statments are usually not legally binding, mainly there as a fluff so you think you can't sue.

Have you tried telling the tech support people? You will always have tech support people try to blame the problem, not on their own companies faults and policies, but on others such as saying, "are you sure the service you are trying to connect to is not having issues." Before you call, be able to back up your claim that it works everywell besides where you are at currently. If the tech support tech you are talking to does not seem like he/she is able to assist you, politly ask them for a lvl 2 tech or supervisor. As it is impossible to hire a lot of very skilled people to answer customers questions, tech support is done in hierachys, if a tech is not able to help they will send the call to the level 2 tech, then if they are stuped they send it to level 3.

You can get a lot of information/solutions if you just go about the system in the correct manner.

Good luck on your problems.

I pay the 20 quid a month one.

The question isn't about capping. I haven't hardly used the internet accept simple webbrowsing lately.

And i have searched extensivly about the bittorrent protocol, but they don't say it anywhere.

I have emailed them, telling if they do not send me their TOC inwhich they clearly state they are allowed to limit the bittorrent protocol, then i shall persue legal charges against them.

I dont see why you think its such a big problem. If your not doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about, as most large companies would offer multiple sources other than torrents.

I cant get access to a hell of a lot of services on campus in kent, but i havnt sued yet.

I pay the 20 quid a month one.

The question isn't about capping. I haven't hardly used the internet accept simple webbrowsing lately.

And i have searched extensivly about the bittorrent protocol, but they don't say it anywhere.

I have emailed them, telling if they do not send me their TOC inwhich they clearly state they are allowed to limit the bittorrent protocol, then i shall persue legal charges against them.

You've got to be kidding me...not the best way to deal with the situation, IMHO. They have the statment in their TOS which is a catch-all that for all purpose says, "we can limit whatever we want, whenever we want, and how ever long we want, as long as we can explain that we think it will hurt other customer's service". Its not hard to prove, and they would win, not you.

extasy: you need to grow up and deal with this in a more gown up manner, swaring and crying like a baby wont get you anywhere.

Switch ISP's if you are sick of them.

it's not a question of doing alternative downloading. Torrenting is by far the most effeciant way of distributing files.

"as most large companies would offer multiple sources other than torrents."

Err.. Look at the latest update to HL2, it's episode one, their servers are struggling to get the update around, and if they used bittorrent, which i'm sure they will consider on the next update, then it will majorly benefit their system.

"You've got to be kidding me...not the best way to deal with the situation, IMHO. They have the statment in their TOS which is a catch-all that for all purpose says, "we can limit whatever we want, whenever we want, and how ever long we want, as long as we can explain that we think it will hurt other customer's service". Its not hard to prove, and they would win, not you."

They do not state about the bittorrent protocol, nor does it explain why they would limit it in such an extreme way (20kb's MAX, all the time)

"move to a different isp ? blueyonder ? NTL ?"

This is the current trend of ISP's, it won't be a question of moving soon, because they will all have it. If everyone done that tactic, they would be ass f***** by their ISP's within months.

"extasy: you need to grow up and deal with this in a more gown up manner, swaring and crying like a baby wont get you anywhere.

Switch ISP's if you are sick of them."

It is called anger you nonce, and again, if we all switched like the person you are, then where would we be?.. Well, I can assure you, we wouldn't think the internet was so great anymore, people like you are the ones who don't fight against the net nutrality scheme, it is people like you who gets bitch slapped by the "higher people"; sorry, but i am not one of those people, and don't try and push your ###### behaviour on me.