New mac ads

For what it's worth: I took a quick poll of some of the girls I knew and the responses were:

thats so funny! LOL
LOL those are brilliant
OMG SOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!

^ I don't know why I talk to her.

Those are really good

So as far as catching the imagination of the 20-something non-geek girl they seem to be doing something right. The problem is that nobody asked anything like "is that true?", "How much is a Mac", or "where can I try one?" I think that much like the switch campaign these ads will have a generally positive reception with the target market. They may even drive more traffic through Apple stores. I'm not so sure they'll be very good at getting people to plunk down $500 USD to get a Macintosh.

Then again, macs have lost a lot of the sticker shock that they used to carry. I purchased a Powerbook right after OS X 10.2 shipped and it ran just over $5,000 CDN after taxes. Today I could get an equivilant "level" of machine (though obviously much better equipped in every measurable way) for less than half that price. Hell, I paid more for my first iPod than a Mac Mini would cost today: they're almost into impulse by pricing for people that like high-tech toys.

If Apple's unit sales show a sustained increase for 1 full year that is better than industry average AND that are better than last years year-over-year growth then I'd call these a success. I'm not sure that's going to be the case, we'll have to check in 2 quarters when the effect of the ads should start showing up in earnings statements.

I think ads showcasing what you could do with a Mac would be a lot better. They're neat computers and do cool things, but the restarting/virus/camera/etc argument really only works if we're comparing OS X to Windows 98 ;)
I agree completely. :yes:

Sheesh, what's with the flaming everywhere?

This is an advertisment, people. It's main focus is not exactly to provide a balanced argument.

I liked it.

:no: they look like AOL more and more everyday!

From the website:

(Oh, and Mac OS X doesn’t scream “hardware detected” every time you plug in something as basic as a keyboard.)

LMFAO :rofl: :rofl:

why wouldnt i want my OS to tell me if i connected the hardware or if its not connected.... hmmm

1. Everytime i hook a digicam up to XP it recognizes it just fine

2. I never have to restart

3. Sure Apple gets to bundle more stuff...windows cant include a mouse pointer image without someone suing them for being a "monopoly"

4. I have virus software...i cant remember the last virus i got

I want to make my own ads they go like this:

Apple: "what ya doin there PC?"

PC: "oh, just playin the latest videogame"

Apple: "oh yeah? i come with a couple of games too...i never play them though...they suck"

PC: "yeah I know"

Apple: "i thought you couldnt play that game without a new video card...but you look the same"

PC: "yeah, just got upgraded"

Apple: "whats an...upgrade?...you mean different parts than what you came with?"

PC: "yeah...I upgraded with the money I saved because im so much cheaper. but its cool, your case looks 'cuter' than mine so you got that goin for you"

Apple: "you may be able to play a game, but i can make movies and play with pictures!"

PC: "uh...me too. i bought Nero and Photoshop with the money i saved"

Apple: "did you hear, I can run windows now!"

PC: "yeah...funny...nobody wants to make me run OS X"

Apple: "well I still think Im better than you...I mean afterall, I have TV ads that say how neat I am...PC platforms are just behind the times"

PC: "um...who is it thats making your cpu these days?"

ur so right my friend!

except the not running osx, but the rest :yes:

and last... i havent got a virus in so long .. no antivirus no antispyware... why? cuz i dont click on those smilies ads or run those exe's i get on my email :)

I am a Windows PC user and i think that the ads are funny. I enjoy watching a new one every so often. Even though I enjoy watching the ads, i feel like it was kinda odd that Apple started trash talking PCs on their TV ads, seems kinda childish to me. i remember them starting the trash talking back in the Intel Duo ads, i forgot what they said, it was something like: "it will finally be able to reach its full potential..." which would mean, that in PCs it was being held back?

Mac can have their funny little commercials and Microsoft can have their 90% market share. How do you like them apples, Apple?

so true.

the ads are funny but kind of wrong on most parts.

why wouldnt i want my OS to tell me if i connected the hardware or if its not connected.... hmmm

There's a difference between notifying you and having 20 bubbles come up and countless little badings play each time you plug in a USB hub with a few devices (which I do a lot with a laptop).

From the website:

(Oh, and Mac OS X doesn’t scream “hardware detected” every time you plug in something as basic as a keyboard.)

LMFAO :rofl: :rofl:

:laugh: That is one of the things about XP that always bugged me. Imagine if you had turned on the Voice feature with the computer actually saying that every time you plugged in something.

Uh, shouldn't you know that you plugged in the device when you actually plugged in the device and know that it is working by using it or having it appear in your device or drive list?

Maybe windows users need the extra assurance that plug and play is actually working?

:rofl:

You should be able to turn off those bubbles easily.