Stop Policeware

Sorry, don't know if this has been posted yet. Saw this on The CAD .

Stop PoliceWare

The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more.

You, if you're one of the millions of Americans who uses your computers to burn music CD's, listen to MP3's, share video files, etc. You'd face up to five years in federal prison and a $500,000 fine.

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Can someone verify this as real or FUD?

This is the type of crap that makes me sick, those two Senators should get with the program and realize that this is the 21st century. Based on their wrinkly-@$$ skin, they're probably still stuck in the 1960s.

You got my signature :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gimme a break. If they threw every mp3 user in prison, how much more cramped do you think the penal system will become? And think of al lthe people who'll have to pay $500,000. With computers in the majority of u.s. homes, the economy will fall into turmoil just because nobody will have any money anymore. Can you say instant Depression?

Also, the very nature of the internet and computers will make this impossible to establish. In any case, I'd love to see them try. What do I care? i live in Canada! :D

those americans...

always taking about the freedom they have (not)

i thought fbi using a trojan to spy was bad, but policeware - gimme a break :bandit:

phew..Good thing I live in Canada

I hope this doesent happen in any country!!! It would be like living in a communist controlled country and most people dont want that. Hopefully it will never get an approval.

If it gets approval in Americal (will it **** :right: )

then you can expect Canada to be next :paranoid:

ps. (i live in canada, but lived in a communist country for a while b4)

If all the people that use comps,use their brain to build their own,we wouldnt have to worry about the gov throwing in chips we dont know how to defeat.

If you cant assemble a comp,and control it,you shouldnt use one.

TokerX

Originally posted by sputnik

If it gets approval in Americal (will it **** :right: )

then you can expect Canada to be next :paranoid:

ps. (i live in canada, but lived in a communist country for a while b4)

prolly we do anything the states does.....:(

Well I wish it was as simple as TokerX said but it states:

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer

You think we could have one place to remain anonymous and act freely not having to worry about what other people say about we say. Where we talk about what we want and truely have freedom of speech. :devious:

I just signed it. I hope every computer using American that sees it will sign it too. Wish others from other countries could sign it too.