Camera noob and $1000 budget

I have a budget of $1000 CDN, around ($ 950 US ), i dont know what brand/model/lens to get...

What i need it for is mainly to take pictures of products in a store and ocationally pictures of the stores itself, products range from small figurines to large statues, its all indoors.

Im kind of hoping to get pictures similar to the ones in magazines (is it even possible with my budget???).

Thanks for any help

You definitely need a powerful flash.

Have you ever used film SLRs? A D50 (D70 with commander mode would help a lot, but $$$) or Rebel XT with a 50mm f/1.8 and either a used 35mm or 85mm prime (if budget allows) with a proper flash will work. If I were you, I'd invest in a used camera body and get decent lenses/flash.

I second what Pink Floyd said; an amateur DSLR camera such as the Nikon D50 or Canon Rebel XT will be suitable. If I were you, I'd get the camera body only then buy a nicer lense and a flash.

if i were you, a camera noob (no offense, its what you called yourself) id spend like 500 for a good, and for 500 you get a really good, compact point&shoot and spend the left 500 on an ipod or something you dont have already.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno if its worldwide but currently the Canon350D is going with a 18-55mm lens and a flash for $1400AUD. Thats about 1.1k in Candian bucks.

If you can wait it out Panasonic is about to release their dSLR real soon sometime this year, it should be superb if it is anything like their current gen cameras and hopefully they will finally fit a large sensor on one of their cams so that high iso will look outstanding.... that is the only thing their current cams are missing.