D50 =camera of the year?

Ive been thinking and i keep seeing more and more people getting the Nikon D50 because of its amazing price point and quality. Has it been rated by anyone yet as camera of the year?

As a relatively new Rebel XT user, I'm curious as to what the D50 offers over the XT.

After reading many reviews I discovered that despite not managing to top the 350D's 8ish megapixels, many sites praised the D50 over the XT for its build quality (which I can vouch for, its solid as a rock) and superior battery life (havent had it long enough to tell really - still, not had it die on me yet!).

That said, if you can afford the XT (which I couldn't, though I dont really mind - I'm after the usual case, filters, memory card and in the future extra lenses - the hidden cost you don't see when buying the camera!) best thing to do is go down to your local shop and test the two out!

You don't have to buy them, just exploit the shop assistants! :devil:

Poor battery life? I can use, safely, my Rebel XT fdor a week without recharge.

well, if you shoot 10 pics a week, I can understand :p Anyway, you can buy cheap battery on ebay. That's what I did for my nikon

didn't the nikon d50 win the the TIPA award for entry level dSLR?

yes :yes:

No no, I wasn't having a pop "Canon is t3h sux" style - just saying the D50's battery life is supposed to be insanely good. Like I say, can't comment yet!

Well I didn't try out the XT or well not very in-depthly but the D50 certainly felt much more solid and easier to use. And I can vouch for the battery life, it is amazing, on my old HP point and shoot, I would get like 70 pictures on a pair of AA batteries, this thing lasted all weekend at the music festival and then some. Huge improvement if you ask me, lol.

No no, I wasn't having a pop "Canon is t3h sux" style - just saying the D50's battery life is supposed to be insanely good. Like I say, can't comment yet!

Ive gone through a 2GB memory card (535 pictures) in one event and still had enough battery life to do family photos at the beach the next day

hey ihavethat =) i absolutely love it! yai don't know what some of you are talking about, my battery life is long and can go throuhg 1 gig with ease

The D50 has a plastic shutter that breaks very easily.

The Rebel XT has noise problems like crazy.

I wouldn't get either.

noise problems? no it doesn't. i love my xt. wouldn't trade it for any camera really.

noise problems? no it doesn't. i love my xt. wouldn't trade it for any camera really.

Not even a 5D? You're a fool, then.

The XT on ISO 800 or 1600 has noise everywhere. You can't deny it. It's a soccer mom's camera.

The XT on ISO 800 or 1600 has noise everywhere. You can't deny it. It's a soccer mom's camera.

i meant in the same camera range genious. obviously you are in this thread to be an ass. and it really doesn't work very well here. so you basically have 2 choices...keep posting useless comments that are becoming completely off topic now and be banned. or just stop bothering and enjoy a few more days on the forum before you get banned for being stupid in another thread.

I wouldn't get either.

uh? did you brake your D50 shutter button? My wife has the D50 with over 6000 pics taken and it still work like a charm!

while stating informations, you should get some link and source for your saying

unless this is bad experience, then add more details and your experience will be good for everyonw

I'll see if I can find the page where Nikon announced themselves that the average life of a D50 is 30,000 pictures.

Now, you'll all say, 30,000 is a lot. But it's not when you average 800-1,000 shots per event like I do.

I'll see if I can find the page where Nikon announced themselves that the average life of a D50 is 30,000 pictures.

Now, you'll all say, 30,000 is a lot. But it's not when you average 800-1,000 shots per event like I do.

Well aren't you special :rolleyes:

Canons are renowned for their low noise levels, so I hear. I haven't had any noise problems with my Rebel XT in the couple months I've had it.

I wouldn't get either.

What are you doing to your shutter is what I want to know... :huh:

We've had a D50 at my work that gets passed around a lot and probably gets 1000+ pictures a week; it's gone through at least 30,000 pictures. No shutter breakage, no problems at all actually.