'07 Yaris vs '06 Mazda3

Hey guys and gals. This is my first car so I don't really have a past experience with any certain type of car over another.

Yaris - the reasoning behind this one was the fact it's small, gas friendly, and isn't that expensive ($21,000 CAD with the options I want, tax included). I drove one of these for 2 days and it was very fun to drive. The only complaint I have is it was noisy at high speeds due to the 4-speed auto 1.0L engine. That and you can feel the bumps a bit on rough roads.

Mazda3 - I test drove one of these the other day and the ride was really comfortable. Not too much engine noise and you could barely feel the bumps. The only thing was that the car I was looking at didn't have the options the Yaris has (power windows, body-coloured door handles, electroluminecent dials, ABS/EBD, auto-dimming mirrors ...). Also I have been reading about problems with the electrical of this car, as well as the HVAC system not being that powerful. The car I had driven was $23,600 CAD tax included.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on either of these cars before I make my final decision (which I hope is at the end of the week). :)

Get a Mazda3 period. It's the BEST looking exterior/interior car, best bang for your buck at this segment, and has a peppy engine. Just a few thousand more and you are enjoying a completely better car in every aspect. Gas mileage is only a little bit worse than Yaris but hey, you get 160hp compared to 105hp or so. Steering in Mazda3 is top notch compared to all its other competitors. I've never heard of electrical problems with this car. If you read reviews, it beats all its competitors, even Honda Civic. If you want more inquiries, check out www.mazda3forums.com and ask those peeps over there.

I have test drove both of these (06 model Yaris) and Yaris tends to feel swervy when you drive in highways. Mazda3 feels solid at handling. You feel confident controlling your car.

I don't have a car, but my first car will definitely be Mazda3. I've done enough research on this car online to find out all its pros and cons. About 90% pros and 10% cons most people can list. The cons are usually tiny matters like poor carpet quality. Big woop. Get the Mazda 3, it's the best bang for your buck!

If you want to wait, the 07 models will have side airbags for Mazda3.

dL

Get a Mazda3 period. It's the BEST looking exterior/interior car, best bang for your buck at this segment, and has a peppy engine. Just a few thousand more and you are enjoying a completely better car in every aspect. Gas mileage is only a little bit worse than Yaris but hey, you get 160hp compared to 105hp or so. Steering in Mazda3 is top notch compared to all its other competitors. I've never heard of electrical problems with this car. If you read reviews, it beats all its competitors, even Honda Civic. If you want more inquiries, check out www.mazda3forums.com and ask those peeps over there.

I have test drove both of these (06 model Yaris) and Yaris tends to feel swervy when you drive in highways. Mazda3 feels solid at handling. You feel confident controlling your car.

I don't have a car, but my first car will definitely be Mazda3. I've done enough research on this car online to find out all its pros and cons. About 90% pros and 10% cons most people can list. The cons are usually tiny matters like poor carpet quality. Big woop. Get the Mazda 3, it's the best bang for your buck!

dL

The site I was reading the problems from was Edmunds.com. I guess maybe that was only a handful of people compared to the millions of other people with no problems. I have read a bunch of reviews and almost all of them say this is a great car. But then again, I was also reading the reviews on the Yaris and they say that's a great car too. LOL. I've already driven both of these cars and I'm heavily leaning towards the Mazda3 but I'm just not sure. The Yaris is really fun to drive. I even tried it on the highway and it wasn't that bad at all.

And yeah, the Mazda did seem to drive a lot better (less noise and bumps) and the steering was top notch. The only thing I don't like about it is the spedometer gauges. The 'tubes' they're in are really annoying. Wish it was just flat, but hey, if that's all I don't like ...

I'd still like some more opinions before making the big purchase. :blush:

Mazda3 looks better and more sporty. But the Yaris looks abit ugly and not sporty at all, but the argument is Toyota makes the best cars hands down, and I've had bad experiences with Mazda van's, so I'd sway to the Yaris. But the Mazda looks awesome.

Have you considered the 06' Civic? Base model starts at around $18,000 CAD and with good amount of features is around the price your in. :D IMHO it's the best car :p!

dL

You're a Mazda3 fanboy tho Derek :p.

Ya the Mazda 3 is better. Look into other options though. Civic? GTi? They are both better cars than the Mazda 3.

The speedometer is cool. It feels sporty, and the person next to you can't see how fast your driving ;) so people like my mom can't see how fast I am driving.

dL

Civic Si. That's all I have to say. But you can drop down to a lower model because it's not exactly that cheap compared to the Yaris/Mazda3.

Civic Si. That's all I have to say. But you can drop down to a lower model because it's not exactly that cheap compared to the Yaris/Mazda3.

Yeah ... the Yaris was my first choice because of the price point, while the Mazda3 was suggested to me for a better ride. I haven't looked into the Honda yet because well ... honestly I don't like how they look. lol. I know that shouldn't really determine how I buy a car, but for me, it has to look good and ride well too. So far I'm leaning towards the Mazda but I can't get the Yaris out of my mind. I'm confused!

lmao... the yaris shouldn't even be compared to the mazda3.

yaris = revamped toyota echo(economy) that only puts out about 100hp... basically a glorified go-cart with a cover.

i don't know anything about it. i've just seen the commercials. but what about the honda fit? i think that's their new economy car.

They had a test where a Yaris hit a concrete barrier at 70mph and the dummy driver came out ok. The car's front crumpled exactly like it should, shielding the driver from the blow. That's Toyota engineering. :p

Note, other passengers weren't so lucky. So hopefully you're the only one driving. Or just don't get hit. :D

Wait for the 2007 Elantra.

http://www.thenewelantra.com/

that is wierdly good looking. :blink:

but i still think they're going to get **** gas milage just like all the current models..

the mazda3 wins in a land slide.

i saw the yaris at the autoshow and one on the freeway today.. its ugly and just looks really cheap.

18K for a yaris? :o wow.. get that **** out of here.. are cars expensive in canada?

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on either of these cars before I make my final decision (which I hope is at the end of the week). :)

So you aren't going to wait until July 1st for the 1% GST reduction?

So you aren't going to wait until July 1st for the 1% GST reduction?

Nah ... I would only be saving around $200-$400 bucks which isn't that much ... well, maybe it is but eh, I need one for work soon.

I still don't know about the Mazda3. For the options I want the final MSRP is $25,600 CAD ... while the Yaris is cheaper at $21,000 and some free accessories through my local dealer. Mind you, the Mazda sales rep said he could take some off of the price but I don't know how much.

damn you don't know how to hustle then..

just go in there and give them a price 1,500 - 2,000 less than sticker price as an OTD (final) price.. tell them you won't sign any credit papers until you've got a deal. thats how i got a 19,860 sticker price car for 18k OTD (~16k without taxes and fees.. invoice price of the car at that time was 17k). if i would have paid the sticker price, thats 19,860 + 2,000 for tax, licenese, and fees.. ~21k - 22k.

don't believe thier bull**** about.. i'll take some money off crap.. they'll only take off $200, $300 at most and say you're getting a deal.. then they'll add the tax and fees and say.. "its just part of the process, everyone has to pay this" :rolleyes:

just go in there with the idea that you own them and you call your prices, if they say no. you walk out. simple as that. there's many dealers around, or keep bugging them every week.

if you try hard enough you'll get it.

damn you don't know how to hustle then..

just go in there and give them a price 1,500 - 2,000 less than sticker price as an OTD (final) price.. tell them you won't sign any credit papers until you've got a deal. thats how i got a 19,860 sticker price car for 18k OTD (~16k without taxes and fees.. invoice price of the car at that time was 17k). if i would have paid the sticker price, thats 19,860 + 2,000 for tax, licenese, and fees.. ~21k - 22k.

don't believe thier bull**** about.. i'll take some money off crap.. they'll only take off $200, $300 at most and say you're getting a deal.. then they'll add the tax and fees and say.. "its just part of the process, everyone has to pay this" :rolleyes:

just go in there with the idea that you own them and you call your prices, if they say no. you walk out. simple as that. there's many dealers around, or keep bugging them every week.

if you try hard enough you'll get it.

I don' think you realize this but markup on a car like the mazda 3 and yaris is only about 1000 bcks canadian. If you did manage to get a deal like that, then you got lucky because that dealership must just be trying to increase their sales numbers in order to get a bigger bonus from the manufacturer.

And not all dealerships lie when they say they'll give you a discount on accessories, mine for instance gives everything at cost when a person buys a vehicle from us. Hell, they could come back months later and still get our cost for everything.

Anyways...back on topic...the yaris is a much better built vehicle. The mazda 3, despite the power advantage, still has no passing power. The first gear in it can smoke the tires, but everything else is gutless. The yaris is cheaper, better built, and you'll get better fuel economy. I'd say either get the yaris or the honda fit, both are much better vehicles.