• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'07 Yaris vs '06 Mazda3

MulletRobZ    2

Yeah, if you want to compare the Mazda3 to a Toyota vehicle, make it a Corolla and not the Yaris. The Corolla would be the best choice for fuel efficiency, but the Mazda3 does look better. Then again, I haven't driven cars that often, so I wouldn't be able to provide a well-educated suggestion. But you should also take the Honda Civic into consideration as some others suggested.

Fred Derf    214

I'm looking into a similar car for my wife.

Here's what I've come up with (everything includes automatic, air conditioning, ABS, power windows, cargo net, wheel locks):

2007 Honda Fit LX C$22,800

2007 Yaris Hatchback 5 Door RS C$24,300

2006 Mazda3 Sport GS C$27,500

Everything above are MSRP from their respective websites and they include PST (provincial tax) and GST (federal tax), freight, delivery, PDI and all that jazz (the numbers were rounded for simplicity).

jjson    0

Damn... I want the mazda 3 sport. If i were u, i'd go for the 3 instead of the yaris. But i might get the 3 sport MPS when its going to be released this september. You should wait to get a car after july 1st if you live in Canada because after that day, taxes will be lowered by 1%.

fr8t    0

I'm looking into a similar car for my wife.

Here's what I've come up with (everything includes automatic, air conditioning, ABS, power windows, cargo net, wheel locks):

2007 Honda Fit LX C$22,800

2007 Yaris Hatchback 5 Door RS C$24,300

2006 Mazda3 Sport GS C$27,500

Everything above are MSRP from their respective websites and they include PST (provincial tax) and GST (federal tax), freight, delivery, PDI and all that jazz (the numbers were rounded for simplicity).

for bottom of the barrel economy cars, you might want to consider adding scion's xA or xB into the mix... same class, no haggle(hidden fees), and still a toyota under the hood.

Fred Derf    214

for bottom of the barrel economy cars, you might want to consider adding scion's xA or xB into the mix... same class, no haggle(hidden fees), and still a toyota under the hood.

There are no Scions in Canada so that doesn't help the OP.

Lexcyn    88

Yeah we don't have any Scions here. We have the Yaris hatch (liftback) and sedan instead. :blush:

And I did test drive a Fit, but I don't know, it didn't feel as good as the Yaris did. Sure, it was nice and everything, but it just didn't feel right.

I realize that the Mazda3 and Yaris shouldn't be compared since they are from totally different classes of cars, but those are my choices. :p I mean, there are hundreds of other cars but these are the two I came down to. I realize the Mazda is a bigger car ... but I'm in this for super good gas mileage and reliability. To me a car is getting from point A to point B in a bit of style, all the while not paying an arm and a leg in gas. This is why I think I may go for the Yaris instead. But we shall see. I'm going back to Mazda and Toyota tomorrow to see how much I can get off the sticker price (thanks vice :yes: ).

boocher    0

I own a Mz3. I'm very happy with it. I can't attest to any of the problems you cite except for the low powered HVAC. Its not a large problem but there is no solution either. I would definitely take my Mz3 over the Yaris any day.

_--boocher

macstorm    0

Go Mazda 3. No questions asked!

kombolcha    11

if you're going to throw the Fit in here, then i wouldn't look at the Toyota because of its looks. i think the honda in this case is built a little better. I tend to lean towards Honda the smaller the cars get.

l77Il7H    0

you can't really compare a mazda 3 to a toyota yaris because they are targeted at a different niche. the mazda 3 is better compared to the honda civic, scion tc, or toyota carolla. the honda fit is comparable to the toyota yaris.

aubaine    2

I just bought a Fit on Saturday. It was either that or the Yaris, and although it was close, the Fit was just better.

It handles better, I think it looks better, it's got much more storage room (and leg room) and the mileage is about the same. The Fit standard features are more inclusive than the Yaris. The back seats of the Fit also fold down completely flat (with a single lever), giving it an enormous advantage IMO. Anyway, I can't stop driving my new car - I think I'm having a Fit!

If you go with the Fit, I garauntee you won't be disappointed.

Fred Derf    214

I just bought a Fit for my wife today. It'll take a few weeks to get here as they are currently on allocation.

I'm pretty happy with the deal I struck. The dealers don't make much margin on the car and I took away more than half of it.

---Anonymous---    0

Mazda's always better!

999    0

Civic Si. That's all I have to say. But you can drop down to a lower model because it's not exactly that cheap compared to the Yaris/Mazda3.

$26'000 base. (+ taxes, freight, options)

the basic civic is $16'000.

Lexcyn    88

You're all going to hate me but ... I went for the Yaris instead. I just liked it better.

Anyways I went with a Bayou Blue 5-door hatchback ... I will be picking it up sometime this week as they have one on their lot. Expect some pictures soon. :p

aubaine    2

I don't blame you. It's a good car - I almost got one. If I was going to get one, it would have been the 5-door, so good job there. Congratulations

Joel    25

that is wierdly good looking. :blink:

but i still think they're going to get **** gas milage just like all the current models..

What happened to their gas mileage?

altezza    0

Mazda 3 all the way. Yaris was overpriced.

Fred Derf    214

I just heard that, in the US, you either get the 2-door hatch or the 4-door sedan. Canada has a four door hatch and a four door sedan but I don't think we have the 2-door models.

The Gunslinger    9

Mazda3 looks better and more sporty. But the Yaris looks abit ugly and not sporty at all, but the argument is Toyota makes the best cars hands down, and I've had bad experiences with Mazda van's, so I'd sway to the Yaris. But the Mazda looks awesome.

Have you considered the 06' Civic? Base model starts at around $18,000 CAD and with good amount of features is around the price your in. :D IMHO it's the best car :p!

Have to disagree with you there...toyota does NOT make the best cars hands down. It just has the biggest following of loyal fools. :( .

The yaris and the Mazda are not even in the same league. I'd take the Mazda without thinking twice. BUT if you are open to other suggestions, the Honda is also good :)...

lmao... the yaris shouldn't even be compared to the mazda3.

yaris = revamped toyota echo(economy) that only puts out about 100hp... basically a glorified go-cart with a cover.

Couldnt put it better myself. btw I think a go cart still looks better :woot:

japanesetea    0

yaris are cheap, I drove one and it dont handle well, it felt jolty at turns, and it also feels cheap inside. and they want you to pay 2000 dollars US extra just to add power locks and windows! its BS. and the dealer was trying to cheat us as well, but of course we declined the offer becuase they tried to charge is 40%!!!!! APR!!!!! Also they couldnt finance us at any better rate and it was BS since carmax would get us down to 5 if we put 1/3rd the price of an 8K car.

also yaris are thrown togeter and so is thier marketing campaign, oh wow compartments!!! ooooooohhhhh... whatever. :whistle: :|

these cars are defnatly for the generation that dont care about quality and price. there's no way a person just starting out cna afford that car, let alone is its someone without rich parents to helpo pay for it or with credit to let you co sign. they are stupid and this car isnt really for people just starting out then like they try to market it to. I'll bet ya it falls apart after a year.

vmstan    50

Strange, I'd never bought a car before and put 0 down and got like 6.5%.

I don't know what it is about Toyota financing though, a guy I used to work with bought a Scion TC and got a 25% rate. But that's a long story.

Fred Derf    214

Toyota Canada has 5.9% for up to 60 months (with nothing down).

Lexcyn    88

yaris are cheap, I drove one and it dont handle well, it felt jolty at turns, and it also feels cheap inside. and they want you to pay 2000 dollars US extra just to add power locks and windows! its BS. and the dealer was trying to cheat us as well, but of course we declined the offer becuase they tried to charge is 40%!!!!! APR!!!!! Also they couldnt finance us at any better rate and it was BS since carmax would get us down to 5 if we put 1/3rd the price of an 8K car.

also yaris are thrown togeter and so is thier marketing campaign, oh wow compartments!!! ooooooohhhhh... whatever. :whistle: :|

these cars are defnatly for the generation that dont care about quality and price. there's no way a person just starting out cna afford that car, let alone is its someone without rich parents to helpo pay for it or with credit to let you co sign. they are stupid and this car isnt really for people just starting out then like they try to market it to. I'll bet ya it falls apart after a year.

I'm just starting out and I managed to pay for it ... and no it's not 'cheap' as you say. Maybe to you, but to me it's just fine. I use it to get to and from work and it does that job well. If I have to travel someplace, it will work for that too. There's no need to spend a LOT on a car to get something that will get you from point A to point B. Now, to each his/her own I suppose so everyone will have a different opinion on that. Some people like the most luxury they can cram in a metal box ... but me, I like to keep it simple and clean.

In any case, I did end up picking up the Yaris today ... it's awesome having my own car. Never owned one before so it sure beats taking the bus.

Fred Derf    214

I don't think anything made by Toyota will fall apart after a year. Now, a GM car on the other hand...