"Unlimited" Broadband

Question

mikebiacsi

Interesting article about ISP's selling broadband with unlimited download limits and i thought it might be worth sharing.

Unlimited broadband

19 answers to this question

Colin-uk

I always like to make sure theres a limit on bandwidth when signing up for broadband, then I know exactly what im getting :)

hekkyUK

I always like to make sure theres *NO* limit on bandwidth when signing up for broadband, then I know exactly what im getting :)

gadean

Interesting article about ISP's selling broadband with unlimited download limits and i thought it might be worth sharing.

Unlimited broadband

Thank God I live in the US where I have never faced limited broadband woes. I am an extemely heavy user, sometimes downloading up to 15GB/day.

FlibbyFlobby

They use the word Unlimited as a marketing tool because they know most people either don't know enough about the technology to understand, or if they do the chances of them actually reading the terms of service are slim. Its false advertising in my opinion.

dkylau

Thank God I live in the US where I have never faced limited broadband woes. I am an extemely heavy user, sometimes downloading up to 15GB/day.

echo.... cept i live in HK (obvious from my location) :p

zeroday

i might be switching to an isp with "unlimited" downlaod, but i've checked what this means by ringing them, and they told me 500gb a month is too much. :blink: i dont even download 30gb a month, so no probs for me :cool:

HoochieMamma

There is no such thing as unlimited broadband here, unless your willing well over $100 a month.

Pupik

There is no such thing as unlimited broadband here, unless your willing well over $100 a month.

And whats the speed?

Because here, we pay almost 60$ a month for 5mb cable with unlimited bandwidth and newsgroup access.

HoochieMamma

And whats the speed?

Because here, we pay almost 60$ a month for 5mb cable with unlimited bandwidth and newsgroup access.

1.5Mbps, anything above that is almost unheard of yet. ADSL 2 is being rolled out now (24Mbps, capped monthly of course) but taking it's ****ing sweet time.

SeaClearly

Lucky for me Verizon hasn't sent a letter this month as I've went on a frenzy downloading linux isos so I've downloaded about 50+ gigs this month but I say what is the point of a 30/5 FIOS connection with a download limit. Oh and with a download manager I was able to download many of the bigger name distros using the full 30Mbps connection speeds. I was able to download the latest Fedora Core DVD iso in under 30 minutes but not much under so that alone is amazing. I'm also only paying 60/month USD for it too.

M/\TT

Unlimited? Your joking right.

It's gone down the pan in the UK now. Either you pay a massive monthly cost or your capped.

Hate the way it's going!

MiG-
Unlimited? Your joking right.

It's gone down the pan in the UK now. Either you pay a massive monthly cost or your capped.

Hate the way it's going!

4mb unlimited from telewest for ?25 a month.. mmmm

WelshBluebird

And this is the only reason why I am staying with AOL.

Yes their CS is crap

Yes their software is crap (dont use it though)

But my connection is solid, good speeds, and is unlimited.

lieb39

Telstra (Australia) idea of Unlimited (As advertised) is 10GB limit per month, down AND UP! After breaching it, you get dial-up speeds. It's hell.

-lieb39

SnoopZ

NTL 10mbit will be unlimited from 1st June 2006 costing ?35 a month.

stezo2k

Thankfully Telewest arent doing nothing about bandwidth caps at the moment *fingers crossed*

but apart from them i cant really think of any other UK ISPs that offer unlimited bb. plusnet claimed to have it when i signed up a year ago, but they soon changed that polity with their "fair usage" policy

leesmithg

They use the word Unlimited as a marketing tool because they know most people either don't know enough about the technology to understand, or if they do the chances of them actually reading the terms of service are slim. Its false advertising in my opinion.

Yeah and they always throw in the discalimer which they do not point out what is their discalimer and a whole

list of what they see as a way of closing you down.

Drum roll it's:

''Fair usage policy''.

That is? They don't have adverts long enough to explain.

Dark Reaper

My ISP (Rogers) has a 100 GB bandwidth but they don't enforce it. So, in a way, it's unlimited.

Xtreme $niper

My ISP (Rogers) has a 100 GB bandwidth but they don't enforce it. So, in a way, it's unlimited.

Oh they'll enforce it if you abuse it. And when they do enfore it, you won't get any warnings. I've heard of plenty of people who had their accounts suspended without notice because they went over the bandwidth limit too much.