Smash Bros. Brawl

Smash Bros. Brawl

Playable Characters unveiled!

by IGN Staff

May 10, 2006 - Nintendo just pulled a fast one on us. At an after-hours press briefing a mere minute ago, the company pulled another ace out of its sleeve: Smash Bros. Brawl -- the next installment in Nintendo's popular Super Smash Bros. series.

Details are just now rolling in, but we have confirmed the following playable characters:

Pit (Kid Icarus)

Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

Zero Suit Samus (the blue "no-suit" Samus from Metroid: Zero Mission)

Meta-Knight (Kirby)

Wario (Wario)

Under the direction of series creator Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will feature classic, GameCube-style combat -- not Wii-style motion-controlled combat. That means players who prefer to play the game with the traditional control setup can look forward to using the GameCube control-style they're already accustomed to.

"We found that trying to implement too much motion-sensory functionality can get in the way of the game. We're looking at keeping the control simple, as it has been," said Sakurai. "The Wii hardware has sockets for the GameCube controller, too. So I'll just say now that you may not want to throw away your GCN controller yet."

The game also features a range of new nasty toys, such as the ability to unleash a puppy from Nintendogs that will run up to the screen, put its paws up and obscure the view of the action. Mario, Kirby, Pikachu and Link have been confirmed as returning characters. Sakurai confirmed that Wario actually has a fart attack and that Solid Snake can use his trusty cardboard box. In the video trailer, Snake gets out of the box and says "It's showtime!"

"We thought a lot about what to do with Snake and his moves in Super Smash Bros. Brawl," said Sakurai. "As you all know Snake walks around with a gun, but with Super Smash Bros. I didn't want to bring in a lot of real weapons. So that was a real challenge. But conversely, if we could use things like rocket launchers and other explosives, not only would that be fitting for Snake, but it would work for the other characters. But who knows. Maybe Snake will exclusively use explosives throughout the game."

Sakurai said the decision to include Solid Snake when Hideo Kojima himself practically "begged" to include the Metal Gear character in the last Smash Bros. game. When asked about the possibility of Sonic the Hedgehod appearing in the game as well, Shigeru Miyamoto said: "There are probably possibilities for other third parties as well, and it maybe that even know there are corporate discussions going on about including some of these other characters."

Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

The bad news is that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will no longer be a Wii launch title, but will instead be released in 2007.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

be sure to check the screenshots!

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/imgs_1.html

Edited by Bant

Nintendo is not letting up this time are they? First the awesome demonstration at their conference, solid games, and now they pull the curtain back on Smash Brothers Brawl after everyone was like "Wheres super smash brothers?"

"During E3 Last year, Miyamoto approached Masahiro Sakurai, the series creator and now independent developer, insisting that he make a new Smash Bros. To make it happen, Nintendo put together a team to assist Sakurai. The result is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the first Wii titles to avoid motion-controlled attacks.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl be fully compatible with the GameCube controller. Sakurai's reasoning is simple. He doesn't want to alienate gamers that prefer the traditional gamepad.

The game will feature online multiplayer.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl will not be a launch title. Sakurai has confirmed a 2007 release."

Screens

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/10/super-sm...ng-solid-snake/

Whoa now where did snake come from....snake....SNAKE......SSSSSSNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE.....*cough cough.* (hahaha I needed to do that).

Yep, its Nintendo Wii for me... I just hope they put in some classics like Kid Icarus or a goomba (kicking and biting action) from mario bros.

OH MY GOD, this is like too good to be true. Nintendo is actually doing everything right for once, I am just stunned.

Such an awesome picture:

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060510074448827.jpg

What can I say?

Link is looking completely rad, Twilight Princess Style, Samus is completely sexy, Metaknight has always been a favorite of mine... man oh man. And what the hell is that picture with the cooking pot? Its hilarious.

Solid Snake!!

The Very Same thoughts in my mind!!!!!!!!! :D

You don't have to be an N-Sider to download it.

Oh man and people were worried about the Wii's graphics.

It required insider when I posted it.. trust me.. I almost broke my monitor for it haha

IGN always do this.

Anyways, for ppl who have difficulty to view it, download it, instead of stream it. The downloadable version is on the rightside of the tumbnail preview.