SuSE 10.1 Gold Master - FiNAL

Quick question: does 10.1 support Apple laptops, in particular Airport Extreme (wireless) cards or will I have to go through the Broadcom driver method like with Ubuntu?

How do I make the 5 CDs > 1 DVD on XP?

I don't see any way to manually put together a DVD ISO without being on a SuSE desktop. http://en.opensuse.org/Making_a_DVD_from_CDs

There are some programs you have to run to prepare the file list to be used correctly by yast and more.

If you don't want to burn 5 CDs, alternatively, you can just make a local network installation point and go from there. http://en.opensuse.org/Network_Installation_Source

It has a new security feature called app armor that i ca't wait to see in action. :cool:

Actually the AppArmo(u)r has been there since 10.0, the new 10.1 features version 2 of this 'feature'.

How is KDE's stability? Does it still like to randomly crash for no reason?

It seems to be stable to me in the articles I've read.... Lots of eye-candy too! :yes:

This is from the Tuxmachine review though:

If KDE control center overides Yast configuration files but KDE has older drivers, this will cause serious problems(KDE crash), that only Gnome desktop can restore(in KDE control center) and run KDE again.

The full review is HERE.

Barney

It's kind of sluggish for me, and the whole Software area in YaST is buggy. Online Update crashes every time, RPM directoris on your HDD can't be added as install directories, half of my install sources don't work or get randomly deleted, and the Software Management crashes sometimes.

KDE 3.5.2 Supplementary for 10.1 has been released, expect it to mirror 'in the next day or so' to your local mirror.

Actually the AppArmo(u)r has been there since 10.0, the new 10.1 features version 2 of this 'feature'.

Not in the open SUSE just the boxed set. At least not in mine though i haven't checked yast to see if it was listed, think it requires a kernel recompile though. :cool:

How is KDE's stability? Does it still like to randomly crash for no reason?

Yea right, give me a break. :laugh: Kde never chrashes at least not for me and i have run it since red hat 9. :cool:

Well you're lucky I guess. I've installed SUSE on several different machines since 9.1 and KDE has always started random crashing at some point for no reason at all. The only thing I'm doing with these installs is running Yast to update. Kubuntu also crashed alot. There was nothing wrong with the hardware and Same OS with Gnome ran fine.

Seems I do have apparmor it is there when i start yast however i have not set it up or configured it yet i wil research it a bit before i do. There is a great artical in this months Linux Magazine concerning apparmor and setting it up, as well as a copy of Mandriva One a live dvd that is also installable. I am going to wait untill linux magazine has a copy of SUSE 10.1 bundeled with it as they usualy always include all the 3rd party apps that the free open download isos usualy don't include. I know it is easy enough to download and install them your self but I can be lazy some times.

A good option for dvd isos for those on dialup

markjensen you can helpme?

If I could, I would! :yes:

But I haven't touched KDE in years...

markjensen you can helpme?

What search field? Post a picture and I'll tell ya which lever to pull :p

I like SUSE a lot, but my questions are:

- Why so many damn disks? Even the base english install is still 3discs.

- Why can't it detect my Broadcom wifi card yet? Mepis and Ubuntu have been doing this forever and have excellent front of configuration.

Other than that, I would consier.

- Why so many damn disks? Even the base english install is still 3discs.

SuSE ships with a hundred times more software than Ubuntu or Mepis, remember that with Ubuntu you don't even get KDE out of the box unless you apt it or download a seperate CD - now naturally you can just leech the SuSE DVD edition and be done with it - one DVD to rule them all.

Why can't it detect my Broadcom wifi card yet? Mepis and Ubuntu have been doing this forever and have excellent front of configuration.

Mepis and Ubuntu bundle non-GPL software with their distribution (kernel binary drivers) - Novell doesn't do that and no, they will not change their stance (I talk to the SuSE devs everyday and I've been complaining about this to them but their stance is firm - no binary, non-gpl drivers in the shipped kernel)

Broadcom has stated they have no intentions whatsoever to support Linux. Ever. They are extremely anti-Linux company and thus it's a shame that so many providers use their chipsets.

anyone know where i can get mp3 codecs from, i can't seem to find them.

also does anyone know an easy way that i can adjust the screen position? it's at a different position than Windows.

anyone know where i can get mp3 codecs from, i can't seem to find them.

also does anyone know an easy way that i can adjust the screen position? it's at a different position than Windows.

To enable MP3 and other non-GPL codecs, take a looksee here:

http://spinink.net/suse-for-windows-users/#mp3

The instructions are the same for 10.0 and 10.1 distributions, however you need to adjust some sources to point to 10.1 rather than 10.0. Read the instructions carefully and you should have no issues.

To move the screen you need to invoke sax2.

Broadcom has stated they have no intentions whatsoever to support Linux. Ever. They are extremely anti-Linux company and thus it's a shame that so many providers use their chipsets.

Hmm... That's annoying, but I won't be using SUSE ever then :(. Oh well.