SuSE 10.1 Gold Master - FiNAL

Hmm... That's annoying, but I won't be using SUSE ever then :(. Oh well.

Despair not, we've been talking about making a small community project to create an installer for some of the more common chipsets, drivers and try to auto-configure as much as possible. (Just because Novell doesn't bundle the drivers doesn't stop them from being installed onto the system - it just requires some extra work such as installing ndiswrapper, the drivers and editing some config files to configure the wlan itself).

Novell might not help with it because of their stance on the issue but it doesn't stop us, users, from creating such a product. I'll see what we can do, it's not going to happen today or anytime soon but hopefully during the coming months.

Despair not, we've been talking about making a small community project to create an installer for some of the more common chipsets, drivers and try to auto-configure as much as possible. (Just because Novell doesn't bundle the drivers doesn't stop them from being installed onto the system - it just requires some extra work such as installing ndiswrapper, the drivers and editing some config files to configure the wlan itself).

Novell might not help with it because of their stance on the issue but it doesn't stop us, users, from creating such a product. I'll see what we can do, it's not going to happen today or anytime soon but hopefully during the coming months.

Agreed. Linux folks are quite resourceful and will come up with a solution sooner or later. Remember when drivers for wireless cards were scarce do to manfactuer's not willing to produce them for Linux? Well, along came ndiswrapper....

Just keep your eye on the bouncing ball....... :)

Barney

Edited by barneyt

I was a little worried when i read about no 3rd party drivers hope it recognizes my card, an os that can't get on line is next to useless. I will install it to an extra partition rather than messing up my SUSE 10. But all will not be lost as my favorite linux magazine will likely include a boxed version with all the drivers in an upcoming edition if it doesn't work. Also the torrent sits will have it. :cool:

What search field? Post a picture and I'll tell ya which lever to pull :p

He is speaking of this "press / to search" field it however is not in the menu editor so kde config file might need editing. :cool:

I believe it is a part of Kate though i never use kate.

post-60452-1147966830_thumb.jpg

To enable MP3 and other non-GPL codecs, take a looksee here:

http://spinink.net/suse-for-windows-users/#mp3

The instructions are the same for 10.0 and 10.1 distributions, however you need to adjust some sources to point to 10.1 rather than 10.0. Read the instructions carefully and you should have no issues.

To move the screen you need to invoke sax2.

thanks for the help. i got mp3s to play on the player except for banshee for some reason. to fix the screen position i was using sax2 but that wasn't moving the screen unless i changed the refresh rate and screen size so i just manually changed it from the monitor and windows was able to change automatically so it worked out in the end.

i even got xgl working which has been pretty fun to play with and surprising that it even worked with my crappy card.

So far so good with 10.1. Install from DVD. I didn't even need to install any additional sound files via>YaST to get Amarok working using the Wine configuration. I was only able to get the following source to work besides the default Yum

yast2-000.png

Installed on my laptop ...still no luck with autoconfiguring my builtin wireless. :cry:

The only distro that has autodetected my builtin wireless has been Ubuntu Dapper :wub:

Hmmmm...... I suspect that there will soon be repositories (like Packman) that will have these things. SuSE 10.1 is so new at this point that they might ot be set up yet. I am surprised that they are not offered as part of the CD set. I think that if you actually used the purchased set of CDs as opposed to the free download, these drivers and other programs would be included.

Barney

Some are, One just has to look

Hmm I have a broadcom 43xx series, which appears to have been added to the kernel as of version 2.16.17rc2, anyone know how many rc's there are usually on a kernel? :p