PS3 to come with Full Linux

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060511/ps3.htm

The PS3 will come standard with a functional Linux Operating System as well as compilers and other tools to take advantage of homebrew software and prospective upstart developers. Of course, this also means the PS3 will be compatible with just about every USB device on the planet!

This is really big! For the price of a graphics card you are getting a multimedia PC! HUGE!

What more can I say ?

Interesting.....

Wern't they going to try that with PS2? I seem to remember they were saying you would get Linux with your hard drive.

"For the price of a graphics card you are getting a multimedia PC!"

PC Gamers will still spend $600+ on videocards over consoles.

Interesting.....

Wern't they going to try that with PS2? I seem to remember they were saying you would get Linux with your hard drive.

Its just the same as Microsoft offering HD-DVD add-on, doing it just so that it hurts the competitor.

Well, that could be a tactic. If it's moddable, it'll keep the hardcore fans busy and happy. Even if they keep patching it up like they do on the PSP, the fact that it's possible keeps people interested.

Once I modded my XBox, my interest in it definitely raised.

Way to kill your already prone to failing multiplayer aspect of your console, Sony. (Y)

How is giving everyone a Linux distrubution going to affect the multiplayer aspect of the console?

SONY has in mind everyone who is interested in homebrew applications, it has happened already.

The PS was easily modded.

The PS2 was easily modded.

The PSP, even with constant updates (which close a bug, but open another one), is easily modded.

The PS3 will be.

A modable PS3 is an attractive PS3. I know some of my friends refuse to buy the Xbox 360 or PS3 until they're modable - and because of Cell, a modded PS3 used as a server would be very powerful.

A modable PS3 is an attractive PS3. I know some of my friends refuse to buy the Xbox 360 or PS3 until they're modable - and because of Cell, a modded PS3 used as a server would be very powerful.

I think they said that was the original plan behing those 3 ethernet ports.

I think they said that was the original plan behing those 3 ethernet ports.

Well they dropped the router functions very quickly, in the whole "1 input, 2 output" didn't make sense and was unnecessary. Having two less ethernet ports is no real loss of functionality.

What I meant was that as soon as you're given total freedom to use Linux, you can hack the PS3 to pieces. And I'm not a Linux user, but I've been told that if they do allow you to do what you want with Linux, the possibilities are endless.

i can see this being used as a hacking device... and people using this to help play burned copies of games...

microsoft took the approperiate steps to prevent this, by not including a full version of windows in it's 360.

i can see this being used as a hacking device... and people using this to help play burned copies of games...

microsoft took the approperiate steps to prevent this, by not including a full version of windows in it's 360.

A little bit of piracy helps companies.

A little bit of piracy helps companies.

Does it really? I doubt Sony really wants to lose money on every console sold without ever making anything back.

i think everyone is forgetting that your ps3 is going to do checks while your connected to the internet to make sure piracy isnt happening. they are going to implement new security to their blu-rays and games, where if they

detect anything obscue, it will not let you play it, or could even disable your ps3.

remember guys, sony isnt known for doing things "right". so even if this does seem like a good idea, im sure they will screw any modder over by limited their use of such things in a very harsh way.

To be fair I wouldn't really want to use a console online - I have my pc for that, the idea of buying an expensive console then making that money back with free games. . . nah I wouldn't, but it's an idea, either that or have every nes snes and n64 game made on it.

Is there any site anywhere that has a list of the games out for 360, the games planned for wii and (what I know least about) the games planned for ps3? I'll go google it... gamespot it seems. Afrika could be interesting :s

i think everyone is forgetting that your ps3 is going to do checks while your connected to the internet to make sure piracy isnt happening. they are going to implement new security to their blu-rays and games, where if they

detect anything obscue, it will not let you play it, or could even disable your ps3.

remember guys, sony isnt known for doing things "right". so even if this does seem like a good idea, im sure they will screw any modder over by limited their use of such things in a very harsh way.

Pff online checks, in the host file on the *nix installation just set the check server as localhost. :p

Does it really? I doubt Sony really wants to lose money on every console sold without ever making anything back.

Piracy helps spread the word about different things. If companies know how to play with piracy the right way, they can become really successful. A great example was the PS, and a great example of how not controlling piracy can break a company is the Dreamcast.

Sony played piracy the right way, the Dreamcast was to easy to mod, and it payed the price.

To be fair I wouldn't really want to use a console online - I have my pc for that, the idea of buying an expensive console then making that money back with free games. . . nah I wouldn't, but it's an idea, either that or have every nes snes and n64 game made on it.

When buying an expensive console, it better ****ing have online capabilities. I hate having to spend money on extra controllers, having a split screen, and other nonsense. Being online's got to be one of the best ways to play.

Also, many people shouldn't really look at the PS3 as a console. I see it more as a computer as it offers so many things instead of just the basic video games. Sure everyone may not be all hyped up about it as they just want a gaming console, but I see this as a chance for Sony to get ahead of they're already moving rival. And while I would never pay $600.00 for a video game console, considering that it has other capabilities pushes me to actually buy it. Because in reality: $600 consoles are too much. But powerful $600 PCs are great! :D

When buying an expensive console, it better ****ing have online capabilities. I hate having to spend money on extra controllers, having a split screen, and other nonsense. Being online's got to be one of the best ways to play.

Also, many people shouldn't really look at the PS3 as a console. I see it more as a computer as it offers so many things instead of just the basic video games. Sure everyone may not be all hyped up about it as they just want a gaming console, but I see this as a chance for Sony to get ahead of they're already moving rival. And while I would never pay $600.00 for a video game console, considering that it has other capabilities pushes me to actually buy it. Because in reality: $600 consoles are too much. But powerful $600 PCs are great! :D

If it does have linux and therefore can do everything my pc can do (word processing, mini games, net browsing etc), except with ps3 part for games and linux for other. . . then you're probably right, that's quite tempting now I think about it

Also about online - if I get another console I'd rather have it for people sitting in a room playing, I've got ps2, xbox and pc - I only use xbox and ps2 with other ppl in rl - pc for online.