XMPP BBCode Added

I've added an XMPP BBCode to the forum, so if you wrap anything in:

[xmpp]marshalus@neowin.net[/xmpp]

... it will change it to a link with xmpp:marshalus@neowin.net as the address.

The end result looks something like marshalus@neowin.net

Enjoy!

chopy ... glad I'mnot the only one going "huh?" to that *L*

so, hmmm ... what's it used for exactly? Sending IM's to ppl?

It's a link that would open a Jabber client window to send a message to me just the same as if you clicked on my email address and were able to send an email.

ah ... and what if I don't have a jabber enabled client? It would use OL12 or OE6?

No, becuase XMPP protocol support isn't built in to anything like that yet. It's the e-mail of the instant messaging world (in such that it's a free, open protocol supported by the IETF).

However, I don't think it'll take off unless the major IM programs (MSNM,YIM,AIM) move to support it. Google talk, however, uses it but it's a bit crap of you ask me.

I think it would take off if advertised effectively ("Talk to friends on AIM, MSN, blah blah blah") and there was a client that was simple enough to figure out. Having people type in bob@aim.server.com instead of just Bob for an AIM friend, for example, would discourage them. All they need is an incredibly user-friendly and simple client.

In any case, how much do you really think this bbcode will be used?

Google Talk uses Jabber. I'm not sure if the actual Google Talk program will accept the xmpp:address command, but clients like Pandion will.

While talking about adding bbcode, any chance of adding support for Opera Buttons?

Basically, Opera allows hyperlinks like:

opera:/button/Stop

This would create a custom button in opera when clicked, or allow the user to drag and drop the hyperlink to a toolbar where it will create a button. This specific example is a standalone stop button (instead of the integrated stop/reload used by default)

More information

Wicked, one thing though. Gaim isn't associated with the xmpp:// handler so :s

I don't normally keep Psi open unless I'm doing something that requires a more advanced Jabber client, and even then I don't know if it's associated or not. Any ideas?

The actualy use of xmpp: was just approved by... the group that approves such things... it will come along eventually. Pandion and PSI I think have supported it for sometime now though.

While talking about adding bbcode, any chance of adding support for Opera Buttons?

Basically, Opera allows hyperlinks like:

opera:/button/Stop

This would create a custom button in opera when clicked, or allow the user to drag and drop the hyperlink to a toolbar where it will create a button. This specific example is a standalone stop button (instead of the integrated stop/reload used by default)

More information

I think that might be of even less use than the XMPP code ;)

I guess I'll have to keep Psi open more often then :p

The xmpp: feature probably won't reach Gaim for awhile though, seeing as how long it takes for them to churn out a new release (won't be in Adium for awhile either afaik).