[Question] Firewall

Ok, my friend said that I should disable the Norton Firewall because im on a router, and a router has built in firewalls(that is true) so should I just disable it when im on my router?

Your router's built-in firewall would block all "incoming attacks". Unfortunately, for malicious softwares that send "out" data, their connections would not be regulated. With a software firewall, you can block these malicious software from access to the internet.

It has never recommended using two firewalls because of confliction problems as well having both can drastically slow down information being sent and received.

As I know, it is better to have specialized firewall device on network, & Host-based IDS (intrution detection system) on the node (computer).

Like GoldenSheep said, your router has a firewall but will only block incomming threats and not out going programs that try to call home or such, so it's a good idear to run a firewall (Norton Firewall, is not that great theres much better out there imo see the pinned topic on firewalls if you want to see some others).

Not to say you wont be safe with out a software one, but its not ideal.

Using a router is the first main filter for attacks.

Next you need a bloody good firewall.

Now norton, where to start?...

I myself wouldent recommend using norton it is low in manual control, basically its designed for home users who dont have a clue. Advanced Firewall of Advanced Internet Security packages such as ISS Proventia offer great software for this which will work well with any router due to the fact they make them.

Another firewall could be Sygate but the list the goes on and on.

Every person has a different dna strand, every person requires software that they want to suite them. I suggest you TRY some other firewalls and see what you think works best for your router.

Just a thought :pinch: