{How to} Upgrade Firefox on Ubuntu

Kreuger

I've seen a few people talk about how there's no updated version of Firefox in their repos on (K/X)Ubunutu. There was also a post asking for help getting it updated in the general Linux section. So just incase anyone has problems, I thought I'd make this post and request it be pinned for users because a lot of newbies don't bother searching for answers that are already out there (eg: which distro is good for me). I would like to make sure this doesn't happen too often. Now, there is a guide on the Ubuntu site available that provides steps for this. The link is here. Please follow these directions carefully.

iverson0881

Currently Firefox 1.5.X series is not available for the latest stable release of Ubuntu. It will be available in the June release of the new Ubuntu. I suggest you wait until then. The security patches are already backported into the 1.0.X branch so the latest version in Ubuntu stable is 1.0.8.

Patience :-)

Kreuger

Yes I'm aware but the guide provides a way (from Ubuntu) to install 1.5.x even though it's not in the repos.

• 1 month later...
betamaxman

Lol, simply find the firefox folder on your system, download the latest from mozilla, untar it, go root in a terminal or do the sudo thing, replace the current firefox folder with the latest. Pretty easy thing to do even for a new user. Oh and this little magic trick works for all distros even in windows :cool: