Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Server 2003

Hi

Just thought I'd comment on the situation with sp2.

I installed wmp11 onto win2003sp1 using the batch file above 3 months ago.

There have been no problems with this.

The recent sp2 does not contain wmp11 (or IE7)

Upgrading to sp2 does not effect wmp11. (nor IE7)

wmp11 continues to run fin fine on win2003sp2.

But if instead of running sp2 from its file, you integrate sp2 into the windows source CD,

you will lose both wmp11 and IE7 when you repair a windows installation. (They downgrade to wmp10 and IE6)

From the comment immediately above it seems true that the batch file approach is no longer necessary and that simply using compatibility mode is the way to install wmp11 on win2003sp2.

Kevin

Okay guys..

After 2 hours read and search out there.

Finally, I found this way..

Just extract wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe to separate folder.

Open and edit each update.inf, replace with this code below..

Run update.exe from each folder, and quickly paste the original file update.inf. Use keyboard Ctrl-V and Enter..

Time variation depend on your PC speed. I am use Compaq Pentium III 500MHz, running Server 2003 :rolleyes:

Here, read carefully..

==============

Robbeh

I dont know if many people here run server 2003 as a workstation (something well worth doing imho), but i thought id share a way to install the recently leaked wmp11 on it. Using the flexbeta version, extract the run first and run second exe's to two separate folders using a program like 7zip. Go into the update folder in run first and backup the update inf. Edit the top bit to read this:

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate=2

MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate=5

NtBuildToUpdate=3790

NtMinorVersionToUpdate=2

NtMajorVersionToUpdate=5

MaxNtBuildToUpdate=3790

MinNtServicePackVersion=12

MaxNtServicePackVersion=4304

Back this up too (the next bit may take several attempts). Now copy the original .inf file, run update.exe and as fast as possible press control v and then enter (or right click paste enter if you're fast). If you're lucky you wont get the crypotographic service error message and it will install fine. Do the same with the second folder (wmp11 itself). WMP11 should then run fine. And it rocks!

I tried to automate this with a batch file but that doesnt seem to work

Here the capture, I've installed..

successwr7.th.jpg

I found a fairly easy way to install WMP11 on 2003 w/SP2.

1. Extract the download executable (e.g., wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe) with WinZip or the equivalent.

2. Open the extracted folder and extract wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe to separate folders.

3. Run the compatibility wizard (start/Help and Support, search for "compatibility", select "Getting older programs to run on the Windows Server 2003 family of products : Windows"

4. Click "Program Compatibility Wizard"

5. Choose locate the program manually

6. Browse to the update.exe in the extracted wmfdist11.exe folder (e.g., c:\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu\wmfdist11\update\update.exe)

7. Choose XP compatibility and defaults for the rest of the screen.

8. Uncheck the restart now box.

9. Repeat steps 3 through 7 for the wmp11.

This worked on a machine that I just installed 2003 SP2 on via Windows Update, which cause my WMP10 to be uninstalled.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GREAT!!!!

THX... all others tools & hints are [XXXXXXXXX]

it works whit all languages!!!

but i ask me.... WHY SO COMPLICATED? why not a simple installer for server?

server2003 is perfect, wmp11 is perfect.... but microsoft??? no comment

thx......

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so the workaround install seems to work in 2003 x64 R2 (Included with Dell Poweredge 2900.) Now how do I get my Xbox 360 to make friends with my server. Basically how can I install uPnP and SPDDS services to allow WMP11 to share its media.

Any idea on how to enable/install wmp11 plugin in firefox on win2003 server sp2? Installing wmp11 worked fine but I cant use it with firefox. *sob*

• 2 weeks later...

1. Extract the download executable (e.g., wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe) with WinZip or the equivalent.

2. Open the extracted folder and extract wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe to separate folders.

3. Run the compatibility wizard (start/Help and Support, search for "compatibility", select "Getting older programs to run on the Windows Server 2003 family of products : Windows"

6. Browse to the update.exe in the extracted wmfdist11.exe folder (e.g., c:\wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu\wmfdist11\update\update.exe)

This worked on a machine that I just installed 2003 SP2 on via Windows Update, which cause my WMP10 to be uninstalled.

Good Luck

Just did it this way, works perfectly. thanks for posting

Hi, I got WMP11 to work on Server 2003 without any problems. But i can't get the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service to work. I even installed the UPnP and the SSDP Service from a Windows XP on the Server 2003. But the SSDP Service refuses to start. Is there a way to enable the SSDP and the UPnP Service on Windows Server 2003, any?

Thanks in advance, Tak.

I can assure you guys that the method Nick Acquaviva (2 posts above) reccommends does work. I've got Windows Server 2003 Enterprize SP2 R2 and have WMP11 running. Simply running compatibility mode on wmfdist11.exe doesn't work, it has to be done on the update.exe. Just follow Nick Acquaviva's instructions and all will be well. Windows Server 2003 is one of the best OS's I've used to date, down with Vista (even though I do like its style)!

4r9s2on.jpg

Edited by B_Dog

hm, that was more or less of zero help, i am sure everyone is able to get WMP 11 running on Server 2003. But the much more challenging task is to get the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service to work.

I just found one post in a different forum from someone who claimed he got it running. But no further proof. So if anyone knows a method of getting the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, the UPnP and the SSDP Service to work under Server 2003, please share it with us!!!

Thanks in advance, Tak

What error did you get trying to start SSDP? I think I found the exact same thread today and tried to get them installed. Went so far as to copy the reg entries and files from a working xp sp2 machine and still get the 1803 error trying to start SSDP.

I can't find a lot of information. My first guess is svchost needs to be updated and I might give that a try on a test box. But I'm flying blind and just pulling stuff out of my a$$ trying to get it to work.

Would much rather use this than something like tversity to serve up files off of 2k3.

hm, that was more or less of zero help, i am sure everyone is able to get WMP 11 running on Server 2003. But the much more challenging task is to get the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service to work.

I just found one post in a different forum from someone who claimed he got it running. But no further proof. So if anyone knows a method of getting the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, the UPnP and the SSDP Service to work under Server 2003, please share it with us!!!

Thanks in advance, Tak

Okay, got the services to run ... but haven't test connectivity yet (xbox360). There are two big reg entries that are missing ... I think, because I've now done so much tinkering that I hope I've got what's needed.

The two biggies are:

--and it'd probably help to just get them exported out a working xp sp2 reg--

hklm\system\currentcontrolset\enum\root\legacy_ssdpsrv. key 0000 gets created, but control under that doesn't. Need to add reg_sz ActiveService, value SSDPSRV. I'm not even sure this part is necessary.

hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\svchost ... add upnphost and SSDPSRV to LocalService. This I believe is the big one.

Have to do a full reboot. Just doing an explorer refresh didn't work for me.

I installed using the XtraServices.inf instructions, then exported reg entries from working xp sp2 for the services then did a full reg search on the xp sp2 box for ssdp and came up with those missing entries. Once added it started. Unfortunately, I also copied all of the dlls over from that xp box too, but they were the exact same vers that came off the xp sp2 disc I had handy.

Hope that helps.

woot, thanks headcase!!!

I finally got the service to work, now i only have to test the connectivity :) I will tell you if it worked later!

To add a little more juice to the instructions, in case anybody ever googles upon this thread. 1) you don't need to use the compat wizard, you can just right click on the update.exe files and go through the compat tab. Works fine. 2) when running wmp11 for the first time, *make sure* you select a music store to install. If you don't the DRM files won't get created, or if upgrading from WMP10, they'll be the wrong version. When trying to start the windows media sharing service you'll get an app event stating that the DRM files are corrupt. It also won't set the correct DRM reg entry. 3) permissions are a little messed up since this is a hack-a-thon. Or maybe it was me mis-understanding how the library monitored folders worked. WMP11's "my folders" = the All Users shared folders, not the current logged in user. 4) If you want to share files from the WMP11 library they have to already be network shared with everybody read only perms.

Maybe everybody already knew that? I'd never played with media connect before so those were some stumbling blocks for me.

Media player?

On a Server?

Good lord, what is this world come to.

Good Luck

It worked!

A zillion thanks to you!

• 1 month later...
hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\svchost ... add upnphost and SSDPSRV to LocalService. This I believe is the big one.

Have to do a full reboot. Just doing an explorer refresh didn't work for me.

What do i need to add. is it a DWORD or string or a key and what are the values.

Can you be more detailed. I am getting error 1068 error now.

Thank You

Hi All,

After going through this thread I now have WMP 11 running on Windows Server 2003 (with no SP)

This was achieved by using the modified install.bat by Almodo (the one that stops/starts the cryptsvc service) and the latest copy of the WMP 11 installer

I also have the following 3 services started up after following the info by headcase:

SSDP Discovery Service

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

As mentioned, to do this go here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.ph...w=&st=&

and copy the code into the two inf files specified and then run the command he has after this code

The only registry change you then need to make to get these services running is to add to the

hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\svchost - 'LocalService' Key the extra values 'upnphost' and 'SSDPSRV'

This is NOT the same place as the folder also called LocalService in this part of the registry

However even after all this when running WMP 11 and then going to 'Media Sharing...' and ticking the box followed by OK to start up the sharing, WMP 11 hangs

for a while and then crashes to the desktop.

Looking in the event viewer shows the following error:

Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, faulting module wmp.dll, version 11.0.5721.5145, fault address 0x003b042d.

I have tried searching for the 2003 Server using an Xbox 360 at various stages before WMP 11 crashes but it does not show up.

Is anyone else having the same problem as this?

I guess sharing from Windows 2003 using WMP 11 is not likely until MS fix it properly

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Do not forget to change update.inf to:

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

InstallPlatform=0

CatalogFile=%SP_KB_TITLE%.cat

LanguageType=%LangTypeValue%

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate=3

NtBuildToUpdate=2600

NtMinorVersionToUpdate=1

NtMajorVersionToUpdate=5

MaxNtBuildToUpdate=9999

MinNtServicePackVersion=0

MaxNtServicePackVersion=512

ThisServicePackVersion=512

What i like to know is:

If we install Windows media player 11 on windows server 2003 SP2,

then windows-update will not see this i think ?

So how about hotfixes ?

Or are *all* hotfixes in the latest windows media player 11 version (exe) ?

If not only way to manualy install the security / hotfix is downloading them from :

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

Search for Windows Media Player 11 XP

Then selecting all XP updates and downloading them.

Then all extracting them and go to

/update/

making update.exe compatible for XP

and changing update.inf to :

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

InstallPlatform=0

CatalogFile=%SP_KB_TITLE%.cat

LanguageType=%LangTypeValue%

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate=3

NtBuildToUpdate=2600

NtMinorVersionToUpdate=1

NtMajorVersionToUpdate=5

MaxNtBuildToUpdate=9999

MinNtServicePackVersion=0

MaxNtServicePackVersion=512

ThisServicePackVersion=512 <-- don't know about this.

Hope we do not need to do it manually cause you have to change all update.inf to the above.

Then make the update.exe comparible with xp and they should install after you have windows media player 11 on windows server 2003 SP2

Is this correct? or are ALL the KBxxxxx updates found by windows update ?

Very important i think ?

Thnx

• 2 months later...

Good Luck

Hello

I tried to install WMP11 on my Windows 2003 SP2 with instructions above but I don't understand 8. I have no 'restart now' box in Program Compatibility Wizard :blink:

Hello

I tried to install WMP11 on my Windows 2003 SP2 with instructions above but I don't understand 8. I have no 'restart now' box in Program Compatibility Wizard :blink:

I didn't get that option either when i followed the steps but i have wmp11 on my server now.

• 3 weeks later...