Apple Macbook is Out

I heard that leopard is going to be coming out this year?
Have you read this topic at all?
No, Leopard is going to be previewed at WWDC in August - it is being released at the end of 2006 or the start of 2007.

Got my 2 GB of RAM from OWC. Man this thing flies. Absolutely cruises!

Recieved my MacBook (Black - 1GB RAM/120GB HDD) yesterday, ordered on May 21st from Apple online store, arrived May 25th (4 Business days shipped from China to US-PA. Wow that was fast). I am happy to add this well designed machine to my collection. This is my first Mac laptop, I've been using Macs for the last 2 years and now have a Mac Mini G4, iMac Core Duo, and now a MacBook.

Here are my first impressions of the MacBook (black):

Design: Awesome (Black still looks fantastic even though not glossy).

Screen: The Glossy LCD screen is also very nice given the lighting in our house. I suspect though with any direct light (sun, desk lamp, etc...) that you would get major glare from this screen.

Speed: Even with 1GB Ram this laptop is fast, might upgrade to 2GB if I find I need it. It keeps up with my iMac Core Duo 2Ghz with 2GB Ram.

Keyboard: I find it to be a very nice improvement over normal laptop keyboards. I can type more accurately, and my fingers don't catch on the edge of the keys and pop them off (like with my old Dell 300m).

WiFi: WiFi is fast and reliable (no dropped connections), I have a better connection with this MacBook than any other WiFi device I own or have used on my network in the past.

Heat: The MacBook runs at out 48 degrees on average (according to CoreDuoTemp) when running on battery with normal load. When running on A/C the average temp is about 69 Degrees with normal load. However when there is a heavy load on the MacBook I've seen the temp rise to 81 degrees (on a solid flat surface with no obstructions) while on A/C. Although this seems to be rather hot it's not as hot as I've read other posters as having.

Issues: The biggest issue I have is with the power brick, while the MacBook is running on A/C the power brick gets extremely hot and makes a buzzing sound (seems a little scary to me, it almost sounds like white noise from a speaker). Though it only does this when the MacBook is powered on, with the MacBook off the power brick is warm but not hot and makes no noise. The other oddity with the buzzing power brick is that the volume and pitch of the buzzing seems to change when opening and closing certain applications. Are other people having this issue? I have not had an opportunity to do any research on it yet.

Hows your battery life? Run coconutBattery 2.3 Beta (google it). I'm at 93% of my original capacity after 7 days. Ordered on 19th, arrived 23rd.

Current: 5149mAh

Original capacity: 5500mAh

Just thought I'd throw in my temps too. 69-70C usually. Does your MB "moo"? There's a fan just where the numlock key is. On mine it 'moos' and the small fan starts up, spins down, up, down, etc and sounds like a cow mooing. Happens at about 70-75C (you'll know if yours is effected when it happens, by the constant mooing and starting up/down of the fan).

Hows your battery life? Run coconutBattery 2.3 Beta (google it). I'm at 93% of my original capacity after 7 days. Ordered on 19th, arrived 23rd.

Current: 5149mAh

Original capacity: 5500mAh

Just thought I'd throw in my temps too. 69-70C usually. Does your MB "moo"? There's a fan just where the numlock key is. On mine it 'moos' and the small fan starts up, spins down, up, down, etc and sounds like a cow mooing. Happens at about 70-75C (you'll know if yours is effected when it happens, by the constant mooing and starting up/down of the fan).

I'll check and post my results this evening when I get home from work.

Current: 5129

Original capacity: 5500

93%

Age of your Mac: 3 Weeks

I've had for: 2 Days

I had temp up to 79C and fans were spinning but I heard no "mooing" from it.

pht, do you think that the original capacity should be 5200? Because coconutBattery 2.3 was intended to be for MPB 15/17"? I'm seeing values up to 5200 only from 2 others on this forum. That's a nice age. I guess I could've ordered a custom built one to bring it down a bit :p

When it gets really hot (for me it's 80-85C) then the fans are going at full speed, however the mooing only happens at lower temperatures such as 70-72C because the temp to 'turn fan on' and 'off' are set to the same value, so at that temperature, the fans don't know whether to start up or wind down (causing the mooing). I'm glad yours doesn't have it though, but mooing should only happen at 'normal' temperatures (when it's not under load too much).

Since you are a student, you could just save up an extra $100 and get a student membership to the Apple Developer program. That will get you access to the betas of Leopard, and probably even a copy of the final release.

I think (well, I'm sure) that the student developer connection programs only allow students access to final release copies of the point release updates, e.g. 10.4.x (on CD) and the final release copies of the new OSs - e.g. 10.5.0, also on DVD/CD.

Could someone verify this please?

Guys a few questions:

1) Do you store the Front Row remote inside the laptop somehow or is it just a external accessory?

2) How does Boot Camp + Windows XP run on it? Any benchmarks?

Thanks, I'm considering getting a base one after the next revision. :D

Guys a few questions:

1) Do you store the Front Row remote inside the laptop somehow or is it just a external accessory?

2) How does Boot Camp + Windows XP run on it? Any benchmarks?

Thanks, I'm considering getting a base one after the next revision. :D

1) It is external, but you can "attach" it to two magnetic parts on the Macbook screen (middle of the left side and upper right-hand corner).

2) Runs stellar. Just as fast as any Windows machine can go.

Holy crap. im going to be picking up mine at regent street, london today! Woo, just around 12 hours time. I cant wait! 2.0 macbook, white. Ive got a 100gb Seagate 2.5 momentus harddrive to put in, and 2gb ram to add in when i get home.

Its going to be a beast. And there will be photos...

Bennifer make sure it's not Corsair Value Select memory because there have been instability reported with Corsair and Intel Macs. Otherwise, enjoy! I have the stock 2.0 MB and will upgrade the memory a little later (need money now) or just before Leopard to 2GB.

My Macbook arrived today, 2GHz with 2GB Ram (Crucial, not Apple). Just installing Windows XP on Virtue to check it out for speed before deciding on a partition setup (whether to go boot camp or not).

Thing is too nice, hopefully I'll post a review soon :D

Just as a note, I've installed Vista Beta 2 via boot camp. Everything has gone fine and I'm sat on the Vista desktop, I've just got a few driver issues to sort out :) so I'll be playing with that over the next few days, hopefully I can get a package of drivers and perhaps a guide if everything goes well for those who want to give it a try.

Did you have to do anything different, when installing Vista Beta 2? I plan on doing the same once it's available for the public. I'm currently on XP SP2.

It was a bit troublesome, took a few reboots, repairs and partition shuffles but it was pretty easy :) Install took about an hour.

There's no sound, ethernet and the graphics drivers are only halfway installed (hence on glass yet). I need to get my teeth into it! :D

pht, do you think that the original capacity should be 5200? Because coconutBattery 2.3 was intended to be for MPB 15/17"? I'm seeing values up to 5200 only from 2 others on this forum. That's a nice age. I guess I could've ordered a custom built one to bring it down a bit :p

When it gets really hot (for me it's 80-85C) then the fans are going at full speed, however the mooing only happens at lower temperatures such as 70-72C because the temp to 'turn fan on' and 'off' are set to the same value, so at that temperature, the fans don't know whether to start up or wind down (causing the mooing). I'm glad yours doesn't have it though, but mooing should only happen at 'normal' temperatures (when it's not under load too much).

I suspected (hope) that 5200 is the original battery capacity for MacBooks, I can't imagine that these things would ship with battery already down 7%.

Well, I've hit a dead end with Vista. Got ethernet but sound and video were only halfway installed. I haven't really got time to play around so it's off to my 3 partition (XP/OS X/Media) then I'll start on the review :D

My Dad ordered a white MacBook 1.83GHz with 1GB RAM on 23rd (our first Mac aww :blush:)

We've had a rather bad experience with delivery from Apple.

I had been tracking the shipment on the TNT online tracker, watched it go from China, to Arnhem (Netherlands) to Northampton, UK and finally to our local depot, Reading, UK. On the day of delivery I was refreshing the page every ten minutes expecting to see it change to "Out for delivery." instead I saw "Unsendable - Consignment damaged" :cry:

I rang TNT, and she checked on her system and it turned out the MacBook had been CRUSHED during transit. :| A week of transit and it got crushed at the last hurdle :(

I've rung Apple and they're going to send out a replacement, but the delivery for this one is scheduled to be on the 19th of June making it almost a full month after ordering, that is, if this new one gets to us uncrushed. :rolleyes:

I really don't like TNT anymore.

Daniel

I've taken a few photos and a few movies (running aperture, rebooting to windows via boot camp etc). Gonna try and get something together on Sunday.