Apple Macbook is Out

bob_loblaw

Just got mine today. My first Mac. I was disappointment that it didnt have a dedicated video card and a backlit keyboard, but I guess I didnt really need it.

This thing is fantastic.

JazSembi

LyhT: does it run any slower than it would with dedicated graphics? can you notice any difference at all when out of games? (so just normally running osx is there any change?)

dougal.s

LyhT: does it run any slower than it would with dedicated graphics? can you notice any difference at all when out of games? (so just normally running osx is there any change?)

It's his first Mac, probably unlikely he has anything to compare it to....

I very much notice that you will notice a difference for anything except games and live 3D rendering such as Motion, Shake, After Effects, Maya etc. If you read the review of the GPU someone posted a link to several pages back, you will see that the Intel GPU was designed to run the latest and next generation of OS graphics flawlessly (OS X, Vista, and the Linux Open GL WIP I forget the name of).

I'm ordering one of these beauties as soon as I sell my iBook. All I need now is for Adobe to release Intel-native versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver (And of course for me to buy the upgrade, will be CS3 no doubt).

:)

Dougal.

Dazzla

Another thing I was wondering about (in regards to the GMA950) was potential capability with Vista. I'll presume that when Apple ship 10.5 and boot camp is final they'll have the ability to dual boot with Vista. I want to know what GMA950 performance under Vista will be like.

I found this video:

of Glass on a GMA950, as well as the Intel spec page. Also, from here:

Furthermore, if you want to use that cool new interface, called Vista Glass, you better have a decent graphics card. The majority of computers in use today have Intel integrated graphics, but most Intel IGPs don't support Glass. The only one that does is the GMA950 - so if you have a low-end Dell, or a non-Core-Duo laptop with integrated graphics, you'll be stuck with the basic Vista interface, which looks a lot like XP's. Why upgrade in that situation?

Just something for people who are slightly afraid of the GMA950 (like me!). I intend on playing zero games, benchmarks for the Macbooks show strong performance in the iLife apps (which is about the only thing I care about).

bob_loblaw

Very good to hear that the GMA950 will support Vista Glass. I was looking forward to dual boot Windows with this. I don't really game much so fps doesn't bother me, but I do make DVD's sometimes so here's hoping that it'll run smoothly.

Dazzla

MPEG2 Encoding is up there with the Macbook Pro and the iMac, the CPU is exeptionally good at that. The GMA950 also has hardware h264 decoding, the macbook can play up to 1080p without dropping a single frame. You can see that it sucks on games, but I've not played a PC game for years and don't intend to again.

So, for encoding and decoding media, it's fantastic, barely anything to seperate it from the other Core Duo macs, I suspect for 2D graphics acceleration e.g. user interface, it'll be absolutey fine also. But as the benchmarks show, 3D apps such as games (and I suspect heavy duty pro apps) the performance will be slow to bearable.

chrisgeleven

Well I just stopped by the Apple store.

OMG is the black one beautiful. I don't know how I walked out of the store without one in my arms.

I am really debating on whether I should spend the $200 to get the black one with a 80 GB HD, or get a white one with a 60 GB HD and use that $200 to upgrade the RAM.

Man this is a tough one. I really want the black one!!!

k22

Another thing I was wondering about (in regards to the GMA950) was potential capability with Vista. I'll presume that when Apple ship 10.5 and boot camp is final they'll have the ability to dual boot with Vista. I want to know what GMA950 performance under Vista will be like.

I found this video:

of Glass on a GMA950, as well as the Intel spec page. Also, from here:

Just something for people who are slightly afraid of the GMA950 (like me!). I intend on playing zero games, benchmarks for the Macbooks show strong performance in the iLife apps (which is about the only thing I care about).

Vista advisor beta states that you need 128MB of video RAM to run Vista with the "premium experience". MacBook GMA950 only has 64MB of shared memory...

giga
Well I just stopped by the Apple store.

OMG is the black one beautiful. I don't know how I walked out of the store without one in my arms.

I am really debating on whether I should spend the $200 to get the black one with a 80 GB HD, or get a white one with a 60 GB HD and use that $200 to upgrade the RAM.

Man this is a tough one. I really want the black one!!!

Is it really that great? I wasn't too excited by the matte look. =/

Vista advisor beta states that you need 128MB of video RAM to run Vista with the "premium experience". MacBook GMA950 only has 64MB of shared memory...

Windows Aero requires:

• DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:
    • Supports a WDDM Driver.
    • Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
    • Supports 32 bits per pixel.

[*]Adequate graphics memory.

• 64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels
    • 128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
    • 256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
    • Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capablefootnotes.mspx

That's what I found. I'm not exactly sure what "premium" is.

Dazzla

1280*800 falls under that limit for 64MB. It's a shame because the GMA950 can take up to 224MB of system memory, I'll be dumping 2GB in there so I don't mind it taking a little more but it seems Apple have limited it somehow. Hopefully it's via software and someone will come up with a hack to unrestrict it.

But hey, we know that it'll run Aero fine, and judging from the results I've seen from other people running that test a GMA950 setup passes the Aero test.

chrisgeleven

I really didn't notice the Matte look. It seemed very smooth and nice looking to me. Especially the keyboard and the back of the laptop screen with the white apple logo glowing. The black just looks awsome.

Matt T

LyhT (or chrisgeleven, you might have noticed), I've heard that the iSight in the MacBooks is visible when the computer is closed due to the indent on the front - can you confirm whether this is true or not please?

TogaForComfort

just set a white and a black one up. I really like them, however the black matte finish shows up fingerprints.

JiveMasterT

On a side note... who's going to the Grand Opening of the Apple store on 5th Ave NYC tonight?

esco

mine was shipped yesterday and is estimated to arrive May 23rd (tuesday) by 10:30am

When I first got my invoice, it said est. ship date of the 25th and delivery by the 31st.

XiXora

A couple of questions, can you boot into windows and ramp up the onboard memory to 256mb ( i think you can in bios on windows machine unless what i'm looking at here isnt to do with graphics ).

actually, thats my only question :p

bob_loblaw

LyhT (or chrisgeleven, you might have noticed), I've heard that the iSight in the MacBooks is visible when the computer is closed due to the indent on the front - can you confirm whether this is true or not please?

No I dont see it. Seems like it falls right above the iSight; it isnt visible at all.

Matt T
No I dont see it. Seems like it falls right above the iSight; it isnt visible at all.
Good to hear - thanks. :)
DirtyLarry

Man.

Now my 1.67 Powerbook G4 that is sitting on my lap right now as I type this, it makes me very sad to say this, but she no longer seems that special to me anymore. :cry: :laugh:

Man, I want on of these suckers bad. Just a year ago I would have been whipping out my credit card no questions asked. Oh well, maybe by the end of the year or shortly into next year. We will see.

Honestly though now that I think about it, as nice as these are and as much as I love portability, working from home again has shifted my desktop back to being my main focus. My old Dual G4 is really starting to show it's age. Still though, these are really enticing for sure.

chrisgeleven

Last night I picked up a Macbook (black). I just couldn't resist.

I absolutely love it. Runs quite well for just 512 MB of RAM in it. I cannot wait for my two sticks of 2GB RAM to come in though...this thing absolutely will scream.

The screen, at least in my apartment, looks stellar. No glare at all (might just be how my desk is positioned compared to the lights). Extremely bright, crisp, and easy to look at. I love it. I plan on taking it outside in the next day or two to test the glare some more (not like I go outside with a laptop anyways often).

No whine as far as I can tell and the heat seems to be fine, except for the very upper left hand corner of the keyboard is a tad toasty, but not extremely. I downloaded Core Duo Temp to check the tempature every now and then, but so far it is in the 60s to mid 70s (depending on load).

I am waiting to buy AppleCare for a few months while I save up for it.

Haven't loaded many applications on it yet, but I am taking my time with it. Then once I am satisified, the iMac G5 will go on eBay (or if anyone here wants an iMac G5 1.9 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD, let me know via PM!).

AppleDave
Last night I picked up a Macbook (black). I just couldn't resist.

I absolutely love it. Runs quite well for just 512 MB of RAM in it. I cannot wait for my two sticks of 2GB RAM to come in though...this thing absolutely will scream.

The screen, at least in my apartment, looks stellar. No glare at all (might just be how my desk is positioned compared to the lights). Extremely bright, crisp, and easy to look at. I love it. I plan on taking it outside in the next day or two to test the glare some more (not like I go outside with a laptop anyways often).

No whine as far as I can tell and the heat seems to be fine, except for the very upper left hand corner of the keyboard is a tad toasty, but not extremely. I downloaded Core Duo Temp to check the tempature every now and then, but so far it is in the 60s to mid 70s (depending on load).

I am waiting to buy AppleCare for a few months while I save up for it.

Haven't loaded many applications on it yet, but I am taking my time with it. Then once I am satisified, the iMac G5 will go on eBay (or if anyone here wants an iMac G5 1.9 GHz with 1.5 GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD, let me know via PM!).

Hey congrats on the new purchase man! Don't forget to post some pics. :p

chrisgeleven

Consider it done.

The first photo here is a direct face-on shot of the Macbook. In the background you might be able to see part of my iMac G5, which is what I am going to sell after I get the Macbook all configured.

The 2nd one is of the left side of the computer. It is here you can see the a reflection on the glossy screen (which btw, is the only way I have gotten this computer screen to reflect while on). But at that angle, who cares. You can see all of the ports onf the left side (USB, firewire, power, sound, etc.

Here is the 3rd one. This one will definitely turn heads when traveling and someone happens to look at the back of the laptop.

post-132958-1148163674.jpg

post-132958-1148163835.jpg

post-132958-1148163934.jpg

Huy

That's one sexy laptop chris! Congrats!

I myself will be "downgrading" from a 12" PowerBook (last model) to a 13" MacBook white/2GHz. I couldn't see myself spending the extra money on 'just' the black but it looks so much better. Take your time with saving for AppleCare because you have 1 full year under warranty before it expires. 2GB RAM is more important at this stage. Very nice pics... I really wanted to change my order AGAIN (I went from 1.83 white, to 2.0 white) but it really is just another 20GB and black matte look (I am going to get 2GB RAM and that is a bit of money well spent over the premium which comes with the black model).

Enjoy it! :D

AppleDave

Ohhhh thats so sexy looking!! :drool: Thanks for the pics Chris.