Apple Macbook is Out

That's one sexy laptop chris! Congrats!

I myself will be "downgrading" from a 12" PowerBook (last model) to a 13" MacBook white/2GHz. I couldn't see myself spending the extra money on 'just' the black but it looks so much better. Take your time with saving for AppleCare because you have 1 full year under warranty before it expires. 2GB RAM is more important at this stage. Very nice pics... I really wanted to change my order AGAIN (I went from 1.83 white, to 2.0 white) but it really is just another 20GB and black matte look (I am going to get 2GB RAM and that is a bit of money well spent over the premium which comes with the black model).

Enjoy it! :D

Yeah I really struggled between the white and black. In the end, I decided that since I am going to dual-boot with Windows, I could really use that extra 20 GB on the hard drive. The black just made the decision really easy to make!

I ordered 2 GB of RAM and that should be coming in by Wednesday. I was going to sell the 512 I pull out of the laptop, but I read somewhere that in order for a laptop to get serviced by Apple you have to have at least 1 stick of the original RAM in there?

I will probably get AppleCare in 90 days when the free tech support calls end (not that I will use it, still haven't called Apple once regarding my iMac it has been that good for me).

That's one sexy laptop chris! Congrats!

I myself will be "downgrading" from a 12" PowerBook (last model) to a 13" MacBook white/2GHz. I couldn't see myself spending the extra money on 'just' the black but it looks so much better. Take your time with saving for AppleCare because you have 1 full year under warranty before it expires. 2GB RAM is more important at this stage. Very nice pics... I really wanted to change my order AGAIN (I went from 1.83 white, to 2.0 white) but it really is just another 20GB and black matte look (I am going to get 2GB RAM and that is a bit of money well spent over the premium which comes with the black model).

Enjoy it! :D

It is definitely not downgrading. The 12" powerbook had lower specs than the 13" macbook. :)

@chris yeah I think what they mean is, if something goes wrong, they want the system to be in the same order that it was sold to you. Meaning that if your ram is the problem, they want to test the machine as you received it instead of the 2GB you put in afterwards. I guess it's a good idea NOT to sell the original ram, but it shouldn't be a problem if you bring it in and say you replaced the ram, sold the original etc and explained it (what can they do? tell you to use the original 2x256MB and not 2GB?).

I really like my 12" PB for the keyboard and small form. Take a look at this image, 12" PB vs 13" MB.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/images/con...k-12compare.jpg

I guess I'll be happy with 13" because it's WS afterall and the dimensions are suitable for it. I'm getting a white 2GHz model this week (perhaps Tue-Wednesday, est. delivery 25th) so I'll have to be really careful with the polycarbonate vs the aluminium I'm used to having. The specs alone are certainly an upgrade on my 1.5GHz G4/768MB (2.0GHz/soon to be 2GB ram). :)

Consider it done.

The first photo here is a direct face-on shot of the Macbook. In the background you might be able to see part of my iMac G5, which is what I am going to sell after I get the Macbook all configured.

The 2nd one is of the left side of the computer. It is here you can see the a reflection on the glossy screen (which btw, is the only way I have gotten this computer screen to reflect while on). But at that angle, who cares. You can see all of the ports onf the left side (USB, firewire, power, sound, etc.

Here is the 3rd one. This one will definitely turn heads when traveling and someone happens to look at the back of the laptop.

Has yours been over heating? I read some reviews where all it took was some web browsing and playing a cd to get it to over heat in about 10 minutes and crash.

Has yours been over heating? I read some reviews where all it took was some web browsing and playing a cd to get it to over heat in about 10 minutes and crash.

Mine has a problem with heat and the fact that it drops wireless connection. When surfing the web the temp is high 50s or low 60s.

No heat problems yet (although the upper left hand corner of the laptop gets a little toasty, but nothing major) and not a single crash (I am still waiting for OS X to crash for the first time in the 6 months since I switched to Macs).

No issues with wireless connections. In fact, the Macbook has a sick wireless antenna in it. It is picking up wireless networks my iMac never did.

I had it crash once but it was on my part. I disconnected my W800 without ejecting it from Finder first and OSX had to restart. Im new to Mac damn it!

I just did a quick search and found this on the Sony Ericsson support website. Do I need to do that?

When you guys say the system runs hot, are you saying that because an applet is telling you that or you're melting your pants? I've got a Dell laptop and it runs hot because it severly heats up my pants. I'm seriously considering a MacBook and it being cool is going to be a huge selling feature for me. I'm probably going to end up waiting for 10.5 though (although it's going to be hard to wait that long :() that way they can iron all the bugs out.

When you guys say the system runs hot, are you saying that because an applet is telling you that or you're melting your pants? I've got a Dell laptop and it runs hot because it severly heats up my pants. I'm seriously considering a MacBook and it being cool is going to be a huge selling feature for me. I'm probably going to end up waiting for 10.5 though (although it's going to be hard to wait that long :( ) that way they can iron all the bugs out.

I don't want to, but that is probably my course of action as well. Leopard will (or rather, should) have native dual-booting support. BootCamp except not beta. Hopefully Vista will be supported by them via the dual-booting thing.

1280*800 falls under that limit for 64MB. It's a shame because the GMA950 can take up to 224MB of system memory, I'll be dumping 2GB in there so I don't mind it taking a little more but it seems Apple have limited it somehow. Hopefully it's via software and someone will come up with a hack to unrestrict it.

But hey, we know that it'll run Aero fine, and judging from the results I've seen from other people running that test a GMA950 setup passes the Aero test.

Apple has it limited to 80MB or so.

_--boocher

Yeah I really struggled between the white and black. In the end, I decided that since I am going to dual-boot with Windows, I could really use that extra 20 GB on the hard drive. The black just made the decision really easy to make!
For the record, the high-end white model with an upgraded 80gb hard drive would have saved you $150. In fact, you could have gotten the high-end white model with a 100gb hard drive and still saved $50.

is it worth the upgrade from the low-end white model to the higher white model? i'm debating from 1.83 ghz--> 2.0 ghz and the combo drive

If you can afford it, yes. The superdrive will come in handy in future and works better with iDVD and so on that comes with iLife. There might not be much difference between 1.83 and 2 but I myself own a 2GHz and there's just something about having a 2GHz over a 1.83 :D

I would just say, if you are on a budget and can do without the superdrive, then the 1.83 model is fine, it's just as well. I wavered and in the end I decided that the 2GHz was worth it in the end (since I'll be using it for a while).

Anyone seen this?

I'm sold on a MacBook :D

:woot: That is sooo cool, I really want a MacBook now too!!

I don't know why everyone is making a big deal out of this because it's on a MacBook, any Intel Mac can do this.... It is cool though.

I am not going to buy the MacBook until they fix that overheating issue. Apple needs to learn how to put thermal paste properly on their CPU. For now, I am waiting for the next fixed revision.

dL

Anyone seen this?

I'm sold on a MacBook :D

That video is amazing, I will definately be purchasing a MacBook when Leopard comes out, to add to my powerpc mac collection :devil:

For the record, the high-end white model with an upgraded 80gb hard drive would have saved you $150.

But it's not BLACK :woot:

In fact, you could have gotten the high-end white model with a 100gb hard drive and still saved $50.

...But BLACK :woot:

:cry:

Someone help me out here, I dont know how this works, when Leopard comes out, do I have to buy it (like XP) as an upgrade or a full install? Or can I do a software update and go from Tiger (10.4.6)?

That video is amazing, I will definately be purchasing a MacBook when Leopard comes out, to add to my powerpc mac collection :devil:

how'd he do that?? is that boot camp.. whats going on there now?!?

He's using 2 programs, Parallels (Virtual PC type program) and Virtue Desktop (virtual desktop program). So he has a different OS running via Parallels on each desktop and is flicking through them with virtue. Very slick, and performance is fantastic, for the majority of things it's near native speed. You won't be able to run games on it though, that's about it.