Apple Macbook is Out

Matt T
But it's not BLACK :woot:

...But BLACK :woot:

:cry:

To each his own, but the way he said it, it sounded like he only wanted the black model because of it's larger hard drive.
flupke

Someone help me out here, I dont know how this works, when Leopard comes out, do I have to buy it (like XP) as an upgrade or a full install? Or can I do a software update and go from Tiger (10.4.6)?

I'm quoting this because i want to know that too! Anyone?

Adster

No. Leopard will be a whole new version of Mac OS. Consider this:

Tiger to Leopard is like Windows XP to Vista. It's a major upgrade.

10.4.6 to 10.4.6 is like a Service Pack to Tiger.

That make things a little easier?

flupke

Ok, but will it be possible (just like on PC) to delete Tiger and install Leopard as a whole new OS (that you buy)?

thetechroom

Just ordered my Black Macbook!!!

I was just about to finalise the deal with the guy on the phone for ?1028.99 and then mentioned randomly that I'm a uni student, he then gave me the Black book for about ?884, he didn't taken down and information regarding what course, my ID number or anything on those lines, just asked me which Uni I go to!

I'm sure others can try thi:D:D

Matt T
Ok, but will it be possible (just like on PC) to delete Tiger and install Leopard as a whole new OS (that you buy)?
Yes, of course.
chrisgeleven

To each his own, but the way he said it, it sounded like he only wanted the black model because of it's larger hard drive.

Nope, I just said the slightly larger hard drive gave me a really good excuse to go for black :cool:

bob_loblaw

No. Leopard will be a whole new version of Mac OS. Consider this:

Tiger to Leopard is like Windows XP to Vista. It's a major upgrade.

10.4.6 to 10.4.6 is like a Service Pack to Tiger.

That make things a little easier?

Does that mean all Mac computers manufactured after Leopard is released will come wil Leopard preinstalled with no additional charge? And us suckers who bought the MacBook right off the bat will have to purchase the new OSX?

mikedc1760

Does that mean all Mac computers manufactured after Leopard is released will come wil Leopard preinstalled with no additional charge? And us suckers who bought the MacBook right off the bat will have to purchase the new OSX?

Yes.

chrisgeleven

Yep. Same thing as the Windows world, except there is no such thing as an upgrade version of OS X (since you can't buy a Mac without OS X to begin with). So you pay $129 total.

Isn't so bad really. We are probably 9 months away from OS X 10.5 at best anyways.

You don't have to upgrade either if you are happy with Tiger. I don't plan on upgrade unless there are some features I must have.

TitanTiger

Saw the black one in person and wasn't impressed. It's matte, which basically makes it look like any other black notebook out there save for the Apple logo. And the trackpad shows fingerprint oils badly after a little while. The white one looks cooler to me. And saves me $150.

Blaine

Chris, What brand of memory did you get?

I ordered a black one too btw

NoneAvail

I'm getting mines on June 10th, by then i'd have $1200 ready to buy the basic white model one.

I can't ****ing wait at all. It soo sleek, soo sexyy...

it's just like the mac singing this

"I'M too sexy for my owner, too sexy for my OS (windows), Too Sexxyyy"

hahahahaha I can't wait at all.

not to hijack the thread but will a windows printer work on a mac?

and will my Logitech MX1000 work on the mac also?

and since the mac i am going to buy comes with only 512MB, i can still go to curicals website and order the memory like regular pc memory right?

chrisgeleven

Chris, What brand of memory did you get?

I ordered a black one too btw

OWC - http://www.macsales.com/

I haven't actually gotten it yet, UPS was supposedly delivering it tomorrow but according to their tracking page it looks like it is Thursday now.

From what I found for reviews, OWC is a very highly rated company and I got a decent deal ($228 for two 1 GB sticks of RAM, with shipping).

GaMMa

If I get a Macbook (probably at 10.5) I'm going to get White. Why go with black when that's the industry standard and you're forced to pay more for it? Seeing a white laptop isn't as common. I do own a black nano though... :p

KeR

not to hijack the thread but will a windows printer work on a mac?

and will my Logitech MX1000 work on the mac also?

and since the mac i am going to buy comes with only 512MB, i can still go to curicals website and order the memory like regular pc memory right?

-Printer should work, OSX comes with drivers for about 99% of printers out there.

-Your MX1000 will work, says so on the Logitech website.

-Upgrading memory could not be any easier on a MacBook, and getting it from Crucial is a good idea.

Matt T
Nope, I just said the slightly larger hard drive gave me a really good excuse to go for black :cool:
Oh, my mistake. :blush:
Alladaskill17

Yep. Same thing as the Windows world, except there is no such thing as an upgrade version of OS X (since you can't buy a Mac without OS X to begin with). So you pay $129 total.

Isn't so bad really. We are probably 9 months away from OS X 10.5 at best anyways.

You don't have to upgrade either if you are happy with Tiger. I don't plan on upgrade unless there are some features I must have.

9 months? Maybe I misread information a while back, or my memory has familed me in this respect....but are they not releasing, or planning to release 10.5 in August at WWDC?

Matt T
9 months? Maybe I misread information a while back, or my memory has familed me in this respect....but are they not releasing, or planning to release 10.5 in August at WWDC?
No, Leopard is going to be previewed at WWDC in August - it is being released at the end of 2006 or the start of 2007.
Alladaskill17

Ok, so will they be revealing all aspects and what is to come? Or ...do that and there be even more suprises later? Just wondering because I really want a MacBook, and being a Highschool student, who plans to get his first job this summer, it might take about 'til August to build up the cash to purchase a Macbook....would the hardware currently running Tiger be enough to smoothly run 10.5 if I so choose to purchase before 10.5 is released and upgrade later?

Matt T

Apple haven't given OS X any surprise features in the past, so I doubt that Leopard would be any different. The MacBook will run Leopard fine.

chrisgeleven

If I remember right, we knew at least the major features of Tiger when it was previewed. We didn't know every single new feature until it was released, but we knew the major ones.

The main reason behind that is Apple likes to give developers a heads up so everything can run on the new version when it is released.

speedemonV12

I heard that leopard is going to be coming out this year?

Southern Patriot

Just wondering because I really want a MacBook, and being a Highschool student, who plans to get his first job this summer, it might take about 'til August to build up the cash to purchase a Macbook...

Since you are a student, you could just save up an extra $100 and get a student membership to the Apple Developer program. That will get you access to the betas of Leopard, and probably even a copy of the final release.