Blue Ray Players Capable of Self Destruction

Blu-ray makes unexpected, three-way DRM choice for high-def DVD

The BDA statement is unprecedented not only because its solution to the nagging problem of digital rights management is to embrace every option on the table, but also because Blu-ray appears to have developed its own approach - in some cases, proprietary - to each of these three technologies. Knowledge of this impending fact may have been what tipped movie studio 20th Century-Fox last week to throw its support behind Blu-ray, in a move that experts believe balanced the scales in Blu-ray's ongoing battle with competing format HD DVD - backed by a forum led by Toshiba - to become the next high-def industry standard.

The digital watermarking technique, which will be called ROM Mark, is described in the statement as "a unique and undetectable identifier in pre-recorded BD-ROM media such as movies, music and games." "BD-ROM" is the proposed writable version of the Blu-ray format. Little else is known about ROM Mark at this time, except that the statement describes it as being undetectable to consumers. This is noteworthy in itself, since a previously heralded watermark applied to first-generation DVDs was notoriously defeated by someone writing over it with a permanent marker.

One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was Blu-ray's embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of "self-destruct code." This code would come in the form of a flash ROM "update" that would actually render the player useless, perhaps unless and until it is taken to a repair shop for reprogramming. The Blu-ray statement noted that certain elements of AACS have yet to be formally approved by the BDA.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/08/10/blu/index.html

Would this be legal? Is this what it is going to come down to? :( :blink:

This to me is just nuts. So I go to, for this example here, a street market or some sorta open air market in town, see a couple of discs that are on sale.....take them home and shazam, the next update would render my player useless, sending me in a panic and trying to figure out if indeed it is one of the discs I bought or a poorly written update to the player that could have been spoofed by someone with half a brain.

What would stop the hackers that are against all the DRM tools coming into the next gen of media from developing something of a virus that would just open end a player and stop any future updates? Also, why and how would someone have an update on the player itself? Does this just apply to pc drives? What would be the need of a networked Blu-Ray player within my home setup?

Man. I already see myself driving with antenna on the roof of my car, send signals and hear the people scream at their blue-ray players.

Can't wait for the good times to begin.

Don't worry about it, one week after release I am sure someone will make an app which can rip the dvd the first time and then burn it again and again and again. Llol :D :D

This is on Digg with a ton of comments too. Apparently, blu-ray players are going to have this capability, but they're never going to use it, so they say.

Yea, I believe them cause Sony is just soooo trustworthy. :rolleyes:

^^ Except I hope they're smart enough to rip the Blu-Ray discs, and not DVDs - we're already able to do that: lol :laugh:

What happens if you don't have the internet and your on your laptop in a remote area.. lol

I wonder if HD-DVD will have something like this as well.

I'm not liking the Next-Gen players, they seem restrictive and uptight.

*thanks Hollywood* :wacko:

hmm interesting, I'm guessing the main application would be that if the player detected a bootleg disk in it, it would "self destruct". While I always buy legal movies and I wouldn't have much to worry about...it does worry me that movie studios have the power to "kill" my player if they decide I'm doing something with it they don't approve of...it seems "freedom" is becoming more of a illusion each day (in terms of companies, like the movie studios wanting to tell us what we can do)

I don't know why anyone would want to buy one of these players. With the HDTV formats seeming to change all the time and stupid crap like this, I'm steering well clear of this HD crap. The only way we as consumers can show them that we don't want this kind of stuff it to not buy it. Don't buy it and they will get the message. I know that's just a pipe dream though and consumers are idiots and just take whatever these companies feed them without a thought. If it's new, they have to have it. Doesn't matter if it's a crappy product.

PS3 with Self-Destruction enabled.

600 bucks on trash.

I was waiting for a comment similar, or equal to this one :rolleyes:

yer i can really imagine a very nasty bug breaking the players

which would end up in a gianormous law suit. and i hope it does

:angry:

I don't know why anyone would want to buy one of these players. With the HDTV formats seeming to change all the time and stupid crap like this, I'm steering well clear of this HD crap. The only way we as consumers can show them that we don't want this kind of stuff it to not buy it. Don't buy it and they will get the message. I know that's just a pipe dream though and consumers are idiots and just take whatever these companies feed them without a thought. If it's new, they have to have it. Doesn't matter if it's a crappy product.

:yes: :yes:

But alas...a pipe dream indeed.

This is old news, from a year ago

weird that many of us didnt know about it...

One part of the announcement that had been anticipated by experts was Blu-ray's embrace of Advanced Access Content System (AACS), one version of which has also been adopted by the HD DVD Forum. This controversial technology would require that disc players maintain permanent connections to content providers via the Internet, making it possible for discs that fail a security check to trigger a notification process, enabling the provider to send the player a sort of "self-destruct code."

they better pray that never and ever make a mistake and release a defectuous movie/game/etc, because the ppl will sue'em till they become nothing but dust ;)

what right do they have to destroy someones disk player, even if they were doing something dodgy??? IMO DRM is becoming more invasive then ever!!!! (N)