Would you leave your child alone with a priest?

Would you leave your child alone with a priest?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave your child alone with a priest?

• NO!!
    • Yes
    • To me there is no difference between a priest and any other stranger.

I will not leave a child of mine alone with any male (or female for that matter) except it's father and others who are proven to be trustworthy, such as my parents.

Obviously this will cause conflict at times, and I will have to cross those bridges when I come to them (i.e. babysitters and staying at friends). It comes down to past experiences which sugest no one can be trusted. Think I'm going to be a neurotic parent.

Edit: more on topic, a priest could not be proven as trustworthy to me (by my own criteria) as I have not known any growing up.

Faulty question with all sorts of missing factors. Is he your priest, or just some guy on the street wearing a clerical collar? If he's your priest, how long have you and your family known him? If it's for a long time, has he proven trustworthy? How old are your kids?

etc etc etc.

Faulty question with all sorts of missing factors.

I understand what you say, but factoring he is just a school teacher for example , would you be more likely to trust the preist or the non clergyman in that case?

Well teachers are rarely left totally alone with a child....

and don't have the Catholic or any other church to cover up for them...

I wouldn't want to trust either though.

my preitst I had was creepy and he did touch me in parts that wernt comfy when I was like 5 or 6. we changed churches after that one.

Have you ever been on detention?..

Well no, actually :)

Maybe once.

Anyway, I said rarely, not never. Even so, a detention is in a school where there are usually alot of other people about who could walk in at any moment.

I wasn't saying that teachers are never in a position to abuse children because quite clearly they can manipulate situations and events as they are in a position of power. It appears less likely to me though, or at least harder to accomplish and get away with than for a priest. But I don't actually know much about priests and their daily comings and goings.

i know catholic priests or clergy have a lower rate of child molestation then any other US religion

i would have no problem

Are you kidding me??!! :o

I would be confident in saying that is waaaayy off the mark...

Well to me, leaving my child alone with a preist is the same as leaving it alone with anyone else I didn't know, and no I wouldn't do it. Now if I'd been a member of that church for years and had a very good relationship with him then maybe I would, I wouldn't descriminate with him just because he was a preist but I wouldn't give him my child just because he was a preist either.

Leaving your children with anyone is dangerous, and I don't know how parents do it(those that care, I'm sure it's nerve racking), so I wopuldn't leave them with anyone I don't trust my life with and it takes a long time to get there with me. I wish society was more child oriented at times but it seems like nowadays they're not to be seen nor heard as they're an inconvenience for us adults.

• 2 weeks later...

44.12%]

As of this post, its split doem the middle yes/no!!! hmmmm

Actually, it isn't so bad. Generally it's saying "No". Not many have actually picked a sure "Yes".

Faulty question with all sorts of missing factors. Is he your priest, or just some guy on the street wearing a clerical collar? If he's your priest, how long have you and your family known him? If it's for a long time, has he proven trustworthy? How old are your kids?

etc etc etc.

But then the only reason you'd leave a child alone with him is because you know him. It would be the same as leaving a kid alone with a family friend. Priests were probably trusted more historically, but nowadays I don't see them as any different from anyone else.