irc.neowin.net closed

i don't use the IRC server so it doesn't matter too much to me when it does get set up, but i can understand why it's normal users are asking tons of questions.

I mean just think about what we have to go by here. neowin 5, when was that supposed to be done...last october? it seems to me that people just don't believe the staff anymore when timelines are given for things, so obviously they will ask as many questions as possible to try and get some idea if it will ever be set up.

You will eventually figure out that giving the members as much information as possible to begin with will end up the easiest thing to do. if there are setbacks tell us, if you are ahead of schedule tell us. Don't just keep quiet and hope things die down because you have to realize by now that it won't.

I can't be half assed to go through this whole thread. So I was wondering.

This means that Neowin's IRC is restarting under new management?

No longer will I have to use an alternative nick to that which is in the forums?

If Neowin IRC is truly restarting under Neowin management, can you somehow make reserved nicknames for those who are in Neowin forums? SaLiVa was taken in the Stardock server... Made me really sad. :(

[Thread Cleaned]

Please wait for a new thread announcing the new (and hopefully improved) server.

[Thread Closed]

One last clarification:

The decision to move the IRC server was not some sort of Stardock/Neowin conflict as some people seem to want to imply.

The issue was largely driven by Neowin's desire to provide its users with a more controlled environment for interaction.

Stardock's IRC server was not designed to deal with some of the kinds of things that the occasional malicious IRC user might do (harassment from other channels, etc.). Removing a user from the entire network involves more steps and a review process which is necessary in a network with multiple major entities using it. This is why the suggestion for Neowin to join some network like EFNet wouldn't solve the problem.

By having a dedicated IRC server, Neowin can maintain a consistent level of quality for its users where "griefing" and other types of common IRC abuse can be readily dealt with.