Neowin's Official World Cup 2006 Thread

It was a very good opening game. If this sets the tone for the rest of the tournament, we are up for a treat (Y)

agreed! can't wait for tomorrows matches.

I agree with all of you.

Anyone watching Poland - Ecuador?

k0zy

It's about to kick off. I'm gonna watch til I have to go to work. I'll get to see the first half and some of the second.

I agree with all of you.

Anyone watching Poland - Ecuador?

k0zy

Sure am, im predicting 2-0 to poland. On a side note, i think the budweiser ads for the world cup are excellent :D

Edited by mikebiacsi

Yeah i'm waiting to watch it! but the ITV studio coverage is never to great. You thought with such a high profile thing like the world cup i would have a tattoo on gabbys face. So then we don't have any adverts. Then when a goal is scored se has to take her top off to see some more tattos on her breasts that make her nipples look big.

As an American, I have no clue about Football (soccer to us Yanks) but i am going to try to support our Team (and our English Cousins-Nevada Smiths in NYC!!!) this year and have a question. I am clueless about the offsides rule in Football. The Fifa site doesn't have a rulebook or i am just not finding it, can someone point me to it? I am figuring that the rest of the world can't be wrong about a sport.

in football (soccer) the offsides rules is set up to prevent the attacking team from basically "cherrypicking". The attacking team cannot have a player recieve the ball while he is in front of the defenders. there has to be a defender between the keeper and the forward when the forward recieves the ball. this is to keep the forward from waiting by the goal to recieve a pass and then booting it in.

The rule has changed i think

The rule does not include goal keepers as the last player in an offside rule because they are in goal.

When the ball is played the player MUST be level with the last player of the opposition or in front of the last pposition player

if the ball is PLAYED TO your team player who is past the last opposition player then it is off side.

another example is if you pass the ball thru your team members leg who is in an offside postion ( so not even touching the ball) but then another team player runs on to it from an ONSIDE postion and scores it is on side because the ball person in the offside postion did not touch the ball so thus not involved in play, but this has been critised as liverpool did something very similar.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/f...000/3481977.stm

click on the differnt Scenario to understand more

WOW, i thought Poland would win but it doesn't seem like it.

Ecuador won 2 - 0.

Poland even had most of the fans.

I think germany will probley win against poland but they have to get the defence sorted. i think Ecuador may do well against costa rica.

Then i think they england may end up playing Ecuador

As anyone made one of these cute scripted spreadsheets (Excel,Calc) were you post the result and see the progress of the team, the tournament's tree, averages, scoring stats?

Poland, apart from those two shots to the crossbar and post, didn't show much. Ecuador was firm defensively and attacked very efficiently.

Two great matches to open the tournament. Looking forward to a poor England performance tomorrow, then hopefully our nation will wake up and realise how overrated we really are.

Never posted in this Sports area before :blush:

Go ENGLAND :woot:

Tomorrow! Hope England kicks some ass :devil:

We england are confident in the new players we have, and i think we have what it takes to go all the way and win it :D

btw peter crouch(england) and skoles (germany) should be on the list for top goal scorers :p

Poland, apart from those two shots to the crossbar and post, didn't show much. Ecuador was firm defensively and attacked very efficiently.

Actually, the Poles were very strong in the initial 20 minutes, and then again for the majority of the second half. In fact, Krzynowek being called offside, and the two blocked shots by Hurtado and Espinoza, were huge plays to help lead to the Ecuadorian victory. That and the fact that Zurawski was no where to be found.

Unfortunately, starting "strong" doesn't make a difference if you cannot score. What did Poland do? They did nothing except have ball control. When they got to the last 1/3 of the field, they did as good of a job as Germany did on defense.

My girlfriend is a Soccer freak, and asked me to watch it. I don't get it, I really don't. I actually fell asleep. I do understand all the rules and everything, so that's not it. I watched quite a bit of Soccer a couple of years ago when my girlfriend was in charge of transportation and accomodation for the Asian Cup in China.

Here's my interpritation of a typical Soccer match: kick, kick, kick, out of bounds. kick, kick, kick, interception. kick, kick, kick, interception. kick, kick, kick, out of bounds. kick, kick, kick, interception. kick, kick, kick, interception. Then every 10 mins, someone will get a shot, but it's either right into the goalie, or way over the net. Repeat the whole process.

It's got to be one of the most boring things I've ever witnessed. I really don't get why so many people get so excited by it. And I LOVE most sports.

My girlfriend is a Soccer freak, and asked me to watch it. I don't get it, I really don't. I actually fell asleep. I do understand all the rules and everything, so that's not it. I watched quite a bit of Soccer a couple of years ago when my girlfriend was in charge of transportation and accomodation for the Asian Cup in China.

Here's my interpritation of a typical Soccer match: kick, kick, kick, out of bounds. kick, kick, kick, interception. kick, kick, kick, interception. kick, kick, kick, out of bounds. kick, kick, kick, interception. kick, kick, kick, interception. Then every 10 mins, someone will get a shot, but it's either right into the goalie, or way over the net. Repeat the whole process.

It's got to be one of the most boring things I've ever witnessed. I really don't get why so many people get so excited by it. And I LOVE most sports.

LOL, I respect your opinion, but almost al sports are like that: (the way I see it)

Football (Original one the one that is actually played with the foot):kick kick kick, goal foul kick kick.. repeat

Baseball: strike, strike ball, strike hit repeat

American Football (1st down 2nd down 3down kick..repeat till someone messes up and touch down)

Box punch punch punch

The thing is that all sports are like that, when you are a fan you see more than the kicks the hits or the punches, you see the passion and the beauty of the game, the colors of your club or the flag of your country . and of course the mighty sensation of scoring a goal in your oponent face GOOOOOOOLLLL, GOOOOOOAAAAALLL... GO WORLD CUP, GO MEXICO GO FOOTBALLL!!!!

After that strong start it was like poland was trying to play a game of chess... so damn cautious about moving the ball forward.

thats exactly what my friend and i were thinking. especially after watching the first game.

My God what are the ref's wearing. Yuk.

He was wearing the Barcelona away kit.

I thought my eyes had gone funny.