New to linux: help installing ATI drivers

I need linux for both my desktop and business use and i have just installed linux 10.1 suse

my questions are:

What do i need for XGL desktop effects

Any specific updates etc

my system

AMD 64 3000+

9800 PRO

1GIG RAM

i went to ati and downloaded the linux driver

ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run

but i cant seem to open it.

i need help on this what seems to be a very stable o/s

btw its just been installed out of the box if it were. just seen the desktop

if possible can someone provide links to updates etc.

Thank you

ok mate i didnt know where to post

all i need is to install graphics adapter so i got opengl.

i am a former windows user so its all a bit dawnting.

ok mate i didnt know where to post

all i need is to install graphics adapter so i got opengl.

i am a former windows user so its all a bit dawnting.

ATI drivers are generally considered to be more difficult to install than NVIDIA.

That will enable opengl which will in turn enable XGL.

I'll let someone else guide you as I haven't done it.

For updates, use the YaST package manager.

I would help if I could but I had a hard enough time installing Nvidia drivers and ATI are aprently harder.

Well then again the problem I had was that the source package I needed to compile the Nvidia drivers wasen't installed and I coulden't figure out how to get it for a while. Whole process took me maybe a hour and a half...

One sec i'll go see if I can find anything and try and give you some tips.

edit:

have you taken a look at this?

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2....24.8-inst.html

To install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver using the Automatic option, follow these steps:

1. Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary Linux driver download.

2. Enter the command sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-i386.run to launch the 32bit version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer or sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run to launch the 64 bit version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer. The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Setup dialog box is displayed.

basicly just save the installer file to a folder then using terminal direct yourself to the folder (using the commands cd, and ls)

I know you have a 64 bit CPU and the 64bit driver file but make sure your using the X64 Suse and not the 32bit Suse. If your using the 32bit Suse download the "ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-i386.run" file insted. I hope this helps.

Try doing

chmod +x ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run

./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run

That should do it for you

i cant seem to install nothing., i just get either errors or just text.

how do i install anything with this OS, i know an rpm is a precompiled installation but i cant install anything still. i downloaded all 3 programs found here

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...dge&folderID=27

how do i install anything and where do i enter anything to install it

Many thanks. I just cannot make head nor tale of it

The file you downloaded (ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run) is the 64-bit version of the driver. Do you have the 64bit version of SuSE or the regular version?

i got the suse.x86_x64 version.

how can i be certain for sure. something must say in the OS

damn i need to install SOMETHING :)

i have NEVER used linux in my life lol. it looks good, just having trouble install

EDIT

seems like i have the x86 version as i just installed

fglrx_4_1_0 for ati

Edited by jackc1990

This seem like exactly how you install your ATI driver:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2....24.8-inst.html

The instructions seem simple enough to me. Are you downloading the 64-bit driver? Are you typing inm "su" (no quotes) with your root password after you start your terminal so that you are able to execute as root?

Barney

i dont understand all this terminal and what i type etc.

can someone PLEASE post a step by step.

Please

Ahhh. that is your problem, I believe.

Just download the ATI driver file to a folder in your home directory (say......... atidriver)

Then, open your terminal.

Type in "su" (no quotes) <Enter>

Type in your root password <Enter>

Type in cd /home/yourusername/atidriver <Enter> (example: cd /home/barney/atidriver)

then you'll be in the atidriver folder

type "ls" (no quotes) to see the list of all contents of the folder. That is a small L and a small s

Then follow the commands to install the driver listed above

To install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver using the Automatic option, follow these steps:

1. Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary Linux driver download.

2. Enter the command sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-i386.run to launch the 32bit version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer or sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run to launch the 64 bit version of the ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer. The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Setup dialog box is displayed.

Barney

i got as far as the enter ls in the Konsole

when i enter in sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-i386.run it comes up with writing and all that lot.. and i get prompt

see the screenshot

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8122/screenshot0lk.png

EDIT

Got the installation box up..

MANY THANKS!!!

EDIT AGAIN!!

I still cannot run the moto game.. it says no 3d graphics is available or something

Edited by jackc1990

Well, it looks like you've installed the 32-bit driver. If you have a 64-bit system, you'll need to downoald and install the 64-bit one (using the same method I described above).

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...dge&folderID=27

Also look at the dependencies that are required. You need to use your package manager (YaST) and make sure that the needed files are on your system.

Barney

when i downloaded the

ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64

and ran it. it come up with the installation box etc. i went install driver, automatically etc and it installed.

i restarted and still dont have opengl.

i deleted the straight x86 version.

when i try and run

fglrx64_4_3_0-8.24.8-1.x86_64 i get the resolution dependancy failed error

These are the dependancies I am talking about:

? XFree86-Mesa-libGL

? libstdc++

? libgcc

? XFree86-libs

? fontconfig

? expat

? freetype

? zlib

You need to make sure that they are installed on your system.

Barney

how do i make sure i got em and where would i download them.

sorry im a noob. i really appreciate your help so far.

this is the full error when i open up fglrx64_4_3_0-

Dependency Resolution Failed

Installing fglrx64_4_3_0-8.24.8-1.x86_64[Local packages]

There are no installable providers of libexpat.so.0 for fglrx64_4_3_0-8.24.8-1.x86_64[Local packages]

fglrx64_6_8_0_SUSE100-8.24.8-1.x86_64[system packages] conflicts with fglrx64_4_3_0

fglrx64_4_3_0_SLES9-8.24.8-1.x86_64[system packages] conflicts with fglrx64_4_3_0

Im gettin really annoyed with this..

how do i uninstall this stuff, jeez why is it so difficult. i just wanna install the driver..

Edited by jackc1990

Check out this report on ATI drivers installation:

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/

SUSE Linux 10.1 ships with the newly revamped open source radeon driver. That may be fine for 2D rendering, but it doesn't do direct rendering for 3D graphics. To get hardware 3D acceleration (and for XGL support), you still need the proprietary ATI fglrx driver.

Go to the ATI Web site, click on Drivers & Software, then Linux Display Drivers and Software, then on the driver appropriate to your video card. 32-bit SUSE installations need the x86 drivers, and 64-bit SUSE needs the x86_64 versions. After you have clicked the link for your card, yet another link comes up. Click it, scroll down to the downloads table, then right-click the ATI Driver Installer download link and save it to your home directory. You do not need to download any of the other packages.

After the file transfer completes, close all open programs, then press ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to the first virtual terminal. You'll see a text-mode login prompt; log in as root. When you're at the command prompt, type in this command:

init 3

You'll see a bunch of text scroll by, and then a message saying that runlevel 3 has been reached. Press Enter to get the command prompt back, then type the following command in to switch to the directory you downloaded the ATI driver to:

cd /home/username/

Substitute your user name for "username" in the above example. Now you need to change the ATI installer permissions so that it can be run from the command line.

For long file names, you don't have to type the whole name into a terminal window. Instead, just type the first few letters and then press the Tab key, and the file name will be automatically completed for you. This is useful in situations like the one you're in now, where there is a long and complex file name to type in. So type the following command into your terminal, and use the Tab key to complete the ATI driver file name, then press Enter to execute the command:

chmod +x ./ati-driver

That will make the program executable; this must be done before you can run it. Now it's time to run the installer. Again, use tab completion instead of typing the name in. You have to add the ./ before the filename to tell the terminal program that the file you are referring to is in the current directory. If you don't specify that, the terminal will look in other places for the file. It sounds crazy, yes, but that's the way GNU/Linux is (and Unix before it). For the below example, the entire file name is typed in. Please note that this may not be the same file name that you downloaded -- it is only an example. You should use tab completion when you type this command in so that you don't accidentally mis-type the long file name. The part of the example that will not change is the switch statement after the file name (the part with the dashes). Here's the example command for the ATI driver installer for a 32-bit system:

./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE101-IA32

And for a 64-bit system:

./ati-driver-installer-8.24.8-x86_64.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE101-AMD64

After a few dozen lines of text, a driver package will be created. Go ahead and run it with the following command (the first example is for 32-bit systems):

rpm -ivh fglrx_6_9_0_SUSE101-8.24.8-1.i386.rpm

And for 64-bit systems:

rpm -ivh fglrx64_6_9_0_SUSE101-8.24.8-1.x86_64.rpm

Update your system environment variables with this command:

ldconfig

Next, you need to tell SUSE that you want to use this driver instead of the standard one:

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Lastly, you have to tell YaST which driver to load (that's a zero in the example, not a letter):

sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

Now reboot your computer by typing the following command:

reboot

The next time your system starts, you'll have hardware 3D video acceleration. Please note that every time you update your kernel, you must re-install the ATI video driver.

Pay particular attention to the 64-bit driver instructions.

Barney