Forging a career in sports photography

Evening everyone...

Right, i have some questions for the established photographers out there. I am at a point in my life where i have to make decisions about where i want to go in life, especially in terms of career prospects. I am looking at various career paths and seeing what it takes and what it involves. Naturally, i have a liking for photography and recently I've started to photograph sports events. Sports photography has therefore sprung up as something I'd like to get into. I enjoy doing it and love the end results even better - there's nothing like getting a killer photo of a moment in a game...bare in mind though that i am still learning.

What i am trying to get at here is that i would seriously like to get information and / or advice regarding this line of work. What equipment is required, lenses, converters and so on. Are agencies the best routes or freelance photographer better?

Currently 17, fast approaching 18 years old i really would like to narrow down which way i go in life, obviously keeping options open. Like I've said photography i something i really love. Your advice, input and / or experiences would very much be welcomed.

Almost all sports photographers work for a newspaper. Freelancers probably won't be able to get credentials to get into the big events.

Some newspapers will even supply you with a camera/lenses.

I am close to 20, I've said 20 here before but actually that is two months away. And yea I am still not certain which way I am going to go. So I know what you mean. I excel in computers, good at fixing them and repairing them and building them(this is my current job now). But I am also an artist and I like to be creative, so computer image manipulation appeals to me very much so as does photography. I'd also like to learn programming too.... lol so I am very out there imo. I like the technical side of things but I also like being creative and artistic in what I do and whatever I do I want it to be, look and feel professional. Currently I am also getting basics for a computer science degree at my local college then I will transfer to do the actual computer science courses.

What I could see myself doing the most would be advertising. The head marketing executive and advisor, I believe I could become a powerful asset for big business. This job would fulfill my need to be creative and artistic and possibly have some type of technical skills involved to satisfy that part of me as well.

Edited by Deciever

From my initial investigations into this, degrees aren't required and wouldn't get your through the door in terms of getting a job any easiar. Yes, some companies may 'prefer' them but from what i can see, the will to work and learn and prove that you can do it is enough.

Keep practicing as much as you can and compile a portfolio of all your best shots.

I think when it comes to anything art wise, a qualification will only take you so far, i think it's more about who you know, who knows of you and just getting your work seen.

Almost all sports photographers work for a newspaper. Freelancers probably won't be able to get credentials to get into the big events.

Some newspapers will even supply you with a camera/lenses.

Dont be so sure though. I'm getting ON FIELD access to the Illinois state track meet this weekend, somthing that even my coach can't get. :shiftyninja:

If your a freelance photographer, you really just have to get to know the right people.. then you get a lot of coverage

You are right about the degree. It's unlikely to do you any favours. Even photographic qualifications like the ones offered by the Royal Photographic Society don't really help.

One way would be to go to the sports events you can get access to and shoot until you have a decent portfolio. You could then start approaching people. This depends on whether or not you have the kit for the job however...

I'm looking into doing the same thing. I've got the kit for the job but bugger all access to anything sporting. I think it may be time to see if 'he has all the camera gear and looks like he knows what he's doing, he must be allowed in' will work.

Ah you asked about kit...

Top end DSLR by either Canon or Nikon (bear in mind that depending on the sport, a prosumer model like the 20D may not be fast enough)

Lenses depends on the sport...but universally speaking:

24-70 or something in this range

70-200

As for longer lenses, this really depends on the specific sport and where you will be shooting from. Usually a 300mm or a 400mm. You may find these lenses are often lent out by either the organisation you are shooting for or sometimes the event itself.