400mm

A while ago I got a 2x converter for my film camera to go with my 200mm lens. The converter isn't in top notch condition, but it is cool to have sometimes. I went through some of my pictures from a race this past weekend and realized that shooting at 400mm with only 1/500th to work with is kind of difficult. I only got 1 out of 6 or 7 shots that look halfway decent. It is very hard to pan when that much motorcycle fills up the frame and they are going that fast (Turn 13 is the best corner to take pictures in I think). This picture would look 100x better if the 2x converter wasn't so bad and I wasn't shooting into the sun.

http://flickr.com/photos/pimpsallad/153839774/

Man I can't wait till I can afford a 10d or rebel XT

Converters generally suck. AF is affected major time and a marked amount of sharpness or clarity is lost depending on the converter your using. Hence, the reason why my converter is going back to Jessops today!

yeah you will always lose AF with converters. But I heard that converters made by the lens brand (sigma, tamron) are nice. Personally, I don't know since I've never tried them

Well considering my camera is already all manual, the loosing of AF isn't a big deal. But the sharpness of the picture takes a huge hit with that thing on.

yeah you will always lose AF with converters. But I heard that converters made by the lens brand (sigma, tamron) are nice. Personally, I don't know since I've never tried them

the new Nikon teleconverters dont make you lose AF.

Have you thought about buying a Monopod?

Yes I have, but I am going to invest in a digital SLR soon, so I'm saving money.