[email] Organizing 2 computers, 5 accounts.

Question

linked

So, I have an issue that I'm sure has been ran into before.

I have 5 email accounts, all IMAP/POP3, and I just got a laptop in addition to my computer.

Now, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy, but as far as I'm concerned, Outlook2003 is the best mail program I've ever used (when combined with Plaxo), and I'd really, really rather not switch away from it (as it handles my calendars, contacts and todo lists, as well).

However, I just got a laptop, and every time I launch Outlook on the laptop, the desktop (if it's running Outlook) gets the "IMAP connection reset" error, 5 times. I rarely shut Outlook for any reason, so I run into this a lot, and it's frustrating.

For a bit of time, I tried switching to POP3, but almost as bad as the errors was the hassle of creating rules on both computers to sort the mail, and having to mark each message as "Read" once on each computer.

Is there a good way keep all my email synchronized across all my computers? Without running into "Connection Reset" errors? While still holding onto Outlook?

I know that's asking a lot :)

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

betasp

Just look for one email service that can pop other boxes and use it. One service, multiple accounts and it is imap that is even better.

...looks like a job for google...

big_rich

and it is imap that is even better.

...looks like a job for google...

If they get another IMAP service which POPs the other 5 accounts, won't that mean they will get the "IMAP Connection Reset" message on the desktop once (which isn't much less annoying than 5 times) if the laptop tries to access the same IMAP folder?

Is there a way to allow multiple connections to the same IMAP folder without the server resetting one of them?

linked

If they get another IMAP service which POPs the other 5 accounts, won't that mean they will get the "IMAP Connection Reset" message on the desktop once (which isn't much less annoying than 5 times) if the laptop tries to access the same IMAP folder?

Is there a way to allow multiple connections to the same IMAP folder without the server resetting one of them?

Thanks, that was exactly what I was thinking =)

I don't get why everyone touts IMAP as the superiour protocol; I agree, it's a lot nicer to update the mailbox directly (rather than a local copy), but what's the point in synchronous mailbox handling if you can't even support synchronous connections?

+BudMan

I don't get why everyone touts IMAP as the superiour protocol; I agree, it's a lot nicer to update the mailbox directly (rather than a local copy), but what's the point in synchronous mailbox handling if you can't even support synchronous connections?

Not exactly sure what your trying to do.. but the IMAP protocol specifically allows simultaneous access by multiple clients and provides mechanisms for clients to detect changes made to the mailbox by other, concurrently connected, clients, etc..

RFC 3501

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html

5.2. Mailbox Size and Message Status Updates

At any time, a server can send data that the client did not request.

Sometimes, such behavior is REQUIRED. For example, agents other than

the server MAY add messages to the mailbox (e.g., new message

delivery), change the flags of the messages in the mailbox (e.g.,

simultaneous access to the same mailbox by multiple agents), or even

remove messages from the mailbox.

Before you go spouting off what the "protocol" can or can not do.. or what it's not superior too.. you might want to understand how it works..

What imap server are you connecting too? dovecot, cyrus, courier, etc.. Who is running it? You, your isp? What is it using for storage of the mail? Maildir or Mbox? Yes mbox can have problem with multiple access.. I would look to change your mailbox to maildir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

linked

Not exactly sure what your trying to do.. but the IMAP protocol specifically allows simultaneous access by multiple clients and provides mechanisms for clients to detect changes made to the mailbox by other, concurrently connected, clients, etc..

RFC 3501

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html

5.2. Mailbox Size and Message Status Updates

At any time, a server can send data that the client did not request.

Sometimes, such behavior is REQUIRED. For example, agents other than

the server MAY add messages to the mailbox (e.g., new message

delivery), change the flags of the messages in the mailbox (e.g.,

simultaneous access to the same mailbox by multiple agents), or even

remove messages from the mailbox.

Before you go spouting off what the "protocol" can or can not do.. or what it's not superior too.. you might want to understand how it works..

What imap server are you connecting too? dovecot, cyrus, courier, etc.. Who is running it? You, your isp? What is it using for storage of the mail? Maildir or Mbox? Yes mbox can have problem with multiple access.. I would look to change your mailbox to maildir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

Whew, great information.

I'd *thought* IMAP was supposed to be able to have simultanious connections, hence my confusion. You cleared that right up for me.

I'm using mbox on a cPanel server with Exim 4.52. It's a hosted site, shared server-- There's no per-client way to configure which format Exim stores it's mail in (as far as I can tell from the Exim site), and since it's a shared hosting environment, it looks like there's no way to switch, unless there's something I'm missing?

Thanks a lot, BudMan.

+BudMan

who says there is not a way? Just get with your host.. it is quite possible to setup every domain differently with exim.. matter of fact every user could be different.

Do you know how your mail is being stored? It may well be maildir.

cPanel Moves from MBOX to MAILDIR

--

http://www.cpanel.net/news/mboxtomaildir.html

cPanel speeds up email with a switch to maildir.

Houston, Texas – November 9, 2005 – Today, cPanel, a leading Web Hosting Control Panel Software provider, officially announced their plans to migrate their products to support maildir mail storage format. Maildir mail storage format was originally implemented on Qmail to address the shortcomings of mbox.

--

If your having issues keeping connections to your webhost, then get with them. But imap does support multiple connections to the same mailbox ;)

If your host will not set it up the way you want, or give you the access to do so.. then real easy - find a new host.. Not like there are not hundreds of them too choose from, etc..