[UK] Broadband Suggestions

I need broadband as soon as possible, and here are my requirements/questions. Your help is much appreciated, and I would like a recommendation on two things:

1) Most suitable broadband supplier, and the best prices. (If you use who you are recommending, a brief review would be great!)

2) Equipment I should purchase, in terms of routers, etc.

TalkTalk3 as an ISP is not an option, since they are not coming to my area until the end of October 2006.

Current Computer Specs

Intel PIII 700MHz, 192Mb RAM, Windows XP Pro/SP2

I also intend to purchase a Macbook and an iMac Core Duo to replace this machine in the near future (August). The current machine will most likely be used as a file server afterwards.

Routers

Wireless router with the option of a wired connection for my current machine

Compatability with Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and also Airport support

Security

WEP/WPA Encryption, password protected access to using the router

Parental Controls

I have a younger brother (14 yrs old) who will be absolutely obsessed with downloading movies, games, etc once we have a broadband connection. Is there a way in which I can limit his use, especially on the Macs. I especially need to limit his use of bittorrent.

Bandwidth Limitations

Preferably, I would like an unlimited service, however, if a limited service is much cheaper, I would go with that. We use the internet pretty much every day, for about 2-3 hours, a lot more on the weekends, as well. We also tend to use it a lot for IM, standard browsing. Don't tend to game much, and we don't have a console either (so no Xbox Live, WOW online, etc.) . We tend to purchase some music online (iTunes) even on 56K dial up, and also will need to use bittorrent for certain things.

Appreciate your recommendations.

For ISP i would go with plusnet, just make sure you get a high enough peak allowance, otherwise look at someone like f2s!

As for routers, go with a lynksys! excelent routers (made by cisco) offer all the features you want, wireless etc, and they have QOS (quality of service) controls, so you could disable/slow down bittorrent on your network, or individual machines, thats as far as my reccomendations go, but i have a lynksys router and its the best ive had (out of 4)

Ed

If i were you I wouldnt go for PlusNet, I was with plusnet until they started limitting certain things such as Bittorrent and USENET access.

I know you say that you want to limit bittorennt usage on your network but surely 5KB/sec is a little too limited :p

I am currently with Bulldog and they are brilliant, perfect for what I need.

Im on plusnet, this morning i was downloading spooks and it was coming down at 340 kb/s

Ontop of that im on level 3 restriction for downloading over my limit (only in peak hours - off peak is free)

Its fine, and cheap

Id recommend Plusnet or bulldog. I'm Currently With Karoo http://www.karoo.co.uk/default.asp?page=fa...broadband&id=12 which is currently the only broadband i can get around here, It's avaliable Outside my area aswell they provide Modem + Cable and a setup cd.

For a Router id Say a Linksys aswell. Mine is Shown within my Sig downside of mine is you have to turn the computer on for another computer to go on the Internet.

Parental Controls i dont have a clue.

I am also looking at moving ISPs, I interested in Freedom2SUrf, but they were brought by Plusnet, how are they doing these days?

Not good.. there isn't an unlimted plan any more (well at least not on the MAX packages), and my connection has been up and down more in the last week than it has in the last 4 years :no:

BT aren't that bad as an ISP. They supposedly have a 20Gb cap on 2Mbps, but I normally get to ~80Gb without anything happening.

Are Blueyonder an option? I'm with them and really happy with the service, 4mb with no cap and speeds constant at ~475kb/sec +, pings in CS Source are usually around 20-35 and costs 25 quid a month.

as for the router id suggest linksys too, I've had omine for 3 years and never had a problem.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for your great posts. They did help us make the decision. My parents just ordered BT option 4. IT was the free VOIP evening / weekend calls that they offered on the option 4 service that made us choose that. My parents and I tend to make LOADS of calls in those sort of times, so it was ideal for them.

BT are even sending us a free wireless router, a kit for our current phone that will allow it to use VOIP services, plus Half Price for 6 months!!! So we are paying 28.99 per month, standard. With our half price offer (via rebates) the total monthly costs work out to be 22.24 GBP per month, which I reckon is rather good.

Now...does anyone own a BT wireless router...are they good or downright crap??

:)