Should i HD or not?

Basically I?ve been saving my money and soon I?ll have enough to get a HD TV, but is it worth me really getting one?

I wont have a HD DVD player, or receive a HD transmission, but I do want to use it for the PS3 when its released... but should I buy a HD or not, should I just buy a normal plasma or is HD worth the money for the future, and does it display normal digital TV ok?, thanks.

Here?s the TV I have in mind, http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101009

My buddy and I have been reviewing HDTVs for about a month now and he just picked one up yesturday. One thing we noticed is that the major brand names where not worht the extra money at all. The best quality TV we checked out (and finaly bought) was an Olivia 32" LCD HDTV for $850 US. Its great for using as a PC monitor, PGR for the 360 is amazing, and he will get a tuner here soon.

The contrast ratio is double that of anything else in its price range, the crisp clean picture was unbleviable compared to everythig else. We even took a look at how well it displayed a PC singnal, and it had no shadow effects or anything compared to the Sony and the HP that we checked out at the same time.

Olivia is a great brand, I would check into them before forking out all the extra cash for a samsung or sony.

BTW Im normally the guy that sicks with the name brands no matter what the price.. but this Monitor blew the others away.

I cant say if its worht it or not for you, but the display of an xbox 360 and a nice large PC monitor is well worth it for me.

If you wont be using it for HD or for watching HDDVDs, in my opinion it's not worth it. High def looks great on the XBox 360, and it will probably look goodc on the PS3 aswell, but whether it looks good enough to spend $800+ on is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

no, right now is not the time to buy a TV

the market is STILL shifting to higher resolution displays, so it is best IMHO to wait as long as possible.

all the channels are still in 480i, so what's the point?

the market is STILL shifting to higher resolution displays, so it is best IMHO to wait as long as possible.

Not all the channels are. There's more HD content than you think out there.

It is so worth it in every aspect. It is a huge difference between HD and normal TV and/or games.

Not all the channels are. There's more HD content than you think out there.

How many channels do you get? I get 15, and some of them don't show HD all the time.

The complete switch to digital and HD isn't for another decade yet for the UK; so there's no direct need to switch; the technology is pretty young and i'm sure over time image quality etc will improve further, as will the hefty price tag HD televisions seem to carry at the moment.

How many channels do you get? I get 15, and some of them don't show HD all the time.

right now there are 55 HD channels in the USA (of course not all networks carry all them) adelphia in my area carries only 17 of them right now... but they are expecting to have about 150 HD channels by 2007's end... newest HD channels are ones like MTV-HD, they are slowly coming, but they are coming

In the UK, Sky broadcast their HD content at 1080i :)