• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

ASDA HDTV

AsciiSmoke    0

Hey guys,

Was grocery shopping in Asda last night and I saw that they had a 27" HDTV from som e manufacturer I'd never heard of it was something like Beail or similar, it was quite cheap but it did say it had an 8ms response time so I was quite tempted. Thought I'd check out some reviews first but I can't remember the exact name of the maker and so I can't find anything when I google.

Can anyone fill me in to the manufacturers name or better yet point me at a review site with the actual model on it?

Cheers

AsciiSmoke

Orange    123

I've seen Asda and other supermarket places sell tv's, dvd players and now HD TV's but i wouldn't buy.. To many unknown makes..

Syphonic    0

Not sure about the Asda one, but there is an Acer on on dabs.com for ?499

TogaForComfort    1

Most of the TV's and DVD players that tesco, Asda etc. sell are bush or the like which in turn are re-badged Goodmans or LG products. LG do at least one HD TV so I would assume it was one of them re-badged

Edited by Elektricity

L3thal    2

Moved here

Bhav    18

You won't find an HDTV that has HDMI for less that ~?550. Most good brands (e.g. LG) will be at least ?600.

The one you saw is Asda was probably not "HD Ready", so either supported DVI without HDCP, or only supported component.

Basically, if you want a TV that'll be set for the years to come, make sure you see the HD Ready logo, and make sure it has HDMI. Only then concern yourself with response time, contrast etc. etc. - without HDMI, you are wasting your time, because a digital connection provides superior quality, and will not be susceptible to any downsampling if image constraint is implemented in the future.

Hais    0

thats a good lump of cash going into a tv that looks good on paper but could potentially screw up in years or even months to come. Its form a random brand which wont offer you much support in the future no doubt. For someting so expensive and new in technology i'd spend that little extra and get one you know your be safe with.

AsciiSmoke    0

Thanks for your input guys, the moment of madness has passed.

It did however have the HD ready badge on but I couldn't see what resolutions it could muster, could be nothing more than 480p I guess. Hence wanting to see some reviews. If I remember I'll drop in again this weekend and and get some specs and see if I can get some reviews just in case anyone happens across this thread in the future.

AsciiSmoke

Bhav    18

Well HD Ready TVs have to support at least 720p. Since it's so cheap, and it's HD Ready, I assume it's got a DVI connection instead of HDMI.

saxondale.    15

You might be thinking you are getting a good deal since its ASDA, but think about it, ASDA + cheap HDTV....personally i wouldnt go for it

AsciiSmoke    0

OK, For anyone remotely interested, as promised I returned to said, fetid store and took some sneaky snaps with my phone.

BaierHDTV1.jpg

BaierHDTV2.jpg

BaierHDTV3.jpg

Be warned though, anyone who may be swayed to getting this, along with all the warnings from the replies above. I could find no web site for this company, not even a reference to them anywhere on the web.

AsciiSmoke

samg    2

why would you buy a TV from asda's? there 3rd party brands and going to be awful. Not to mention any tech support etc.

Bhav    18

Have to admit, that's not a bad TV judging by the specs. But just based on brand, I wouldn't go for it.

ady199    7

Guys,

Has anyone purchased one of these tv's? can anyone please provide I personal review? might get one fo my XBOX 360

Thanks in advance.

t0lerence    0

I actually feel very tempted to pick one of these up... Nice price, is this an lcd panel? Thats what it looks like to me

Julius Caro    55

The HD ready logo in Europe is given by some organism or something like that. The manufacturer has to pay a free I think, and the tv set has to meet some requirements (resolution, HDCP on either digital input, etc). I really couldn't care less about the brand.. some of those unknown brands may be one of those massively produced things in china that get re-badged... and you never know when the panel is a samsung and the tuner is a philips.... those things are full of surprises.

If the store lets you return the product if you don't like it, I'd buy it and see how it works :p

ady199    7

Well guys, I took the plunge and bought one of these today from the Leamington Spa Store for ?399.99

What can I say - fantastic!!!

I was a bit worried about buying one of these because there didn't seem to be much info about these TV's and the reviews I have seen, have been mixed.

But I don't know why I worried - for ?399.99 I've got a real star buy!