NTL Upgrades

I see no mention of 1Mb going to 2Mb and haven't heard anything of there 1Mb service being upgraded at all, and cannot see it on the source you have supplied. Where did you get the first 'quote' from?

Apparently, by the end of the year all ntl customers will be on 10Meg lines (but with different tiers of download caps). I heard about it last year, and emailed ntl. Here's their response:

"The new upgrade will take place in the coming year [2006] with the 3meg customers being migrated first followed by the rest of our broadband customers by the end of 2006.

within the 10meg service there will be various packages of unlimited usage or download limits with differant price tiers to suit each customer." (Any spelling mistakes are theirs - this is copied directly from their email.)

I can't wait to find out what the restrictions will be - probably 1GB per day downloads etc.

I see no mention of 1Mb going to 2Mb and haven't heard anything of there 1Mb service being upgraded at all, and cannot see it on the source you have supplied. Where did you get the first 'quote' from?

There are a number of staff members at a website called www.ntlhell.co.uk which have confirmed this.

When this was first origionally posted on NtlHell, there was no mention to us 1MB users, if now this has changed and we are getting 2MB, then rock on! (Y) :punk:

There are a number of staff members at a website called www.ntlhell.co.uk which have confirmed this.

Well there seem to be 'insiders' there which have 'confirmation' that there won't be any change. From the forum member 'cinqmeister' on this page:

I can confirm this from the inside:

1MB - no change

2MB --> 4MB

10MB --> Download Limit Removed

I'll take anything with a grain of salt at this moment.

Was everyone not meant to be liked moved up to 10mb? but the download limits set the difference between costs?

That was NTLs plan when they first introduced 10 mbit, seems they are going a different path now.

That was NTLs plan when they first introduced 10 mbit, seems they are going a different path now.

I also think it's a pretty good route to take. Given the experiences customers have had with 10mb, or rather not actually getting 10mb speed most of the time, having all the price plans on the speed would just make traffic slower and bring everyone's speed down anyway. Plus people would complain about the download caps, even if they didn't reach them or they weren't enforced. Slower, but uncapped, downloads are way better IMO - i'll be happy with my speed doubling to 4mb rather than the originally intended 10mb.

:cry: I'm stuck with BT, there's no cable in my area. The last I heard, they were supposed to be doubling everyone's speed on 31st March and rebranding everything as ADSL Max. Still no speed difference though, and although I should be able to get speeds above 4Mb, no ISPs currently offer anything above 2Mb.

Does anyone know how to upgrade via the website? Currently it only allows you to upgrade to 10MB which they'll charge you for.

You sit and wait. The 2mb package should just update itself.

The upgrades happen automatically (except the last lot which you needed to go to their website if you wanted 1MB capped instead of 300k uncapped.) There is nothing you can do but wait.

This link always worked to upgrade before. It's likely that it will give you the option to upgrade from 2mb > 4mb at no charge as this is whats always happened in the past. Ntl Broadband service change page

Also their are currently no plans to upgrade 1mbit users to 2mbits.

The current tier levels are as follows..

1Mb Broadband ?17.99 unlimited downloads.

4Mb Broadband ?24.99 unlimited downloads.

10Mb Broadband ?34.99 unlimited downloads.

Not to digress, more to brag.

I just negotiated with AOL (5:30 today), that for me to sign a new contract (verbally I should add),

that I will cancel my contract on July 22nd 2006 unless they gave me a better deal.

I will next week be upgraded to 8mbs-1, with a free wireless router, unlimited bandwidth and for ?24.99

saving me ?60 a year as the Platinum pack is actually ?29.99.

I do like a good haggl:yes:es:

GL with NTL, only way I would (their words) get cable into my house is to make them my telephone & TV provider also.

Not buying that one.

Not to digress, more to brag.

I just negotiated with AOL (5:30 today), that for me to sign a new contract (verbally I should add),

that I will cancel my contract on July 22nd 2006 unless they gave me a better deal.

I will next week be upgraded to 8mbs-1, with a free wireless router, unlimited bandwidth and for ?24.99

saving me ?60 a year as the Platinum pack is actually ?29.99.

I do like a good haggl:yes:es:

GL with NTL, only way I would (their words) get cable into my house is to make them my telephone & TV provider also.

Not buying that one.

It's unlikely you will get 8mbit unless you live next door to the exchange. And AOL :o :o

Also you don't need to take Ntl's phone service or tv service to get their broadband.

Edited by SnoopZ

It's unlikely you will get 8mbit unless you live next door to the exchange. And AOL ? :o

Also you don't need to take Ntl's phone service or tv service to get their broadband.

I live 250 metres from the exchange. Not bothered as long as it is 4 on a bad day and 7++ on a good then thats o.k. with me.

This is what NTL told me.

I have satellite with bSkyb and phone with the post office, so maybe this was NTL's objective.

They said this when I phoned them last July when moving into this property.

I live 250 metres from the exchange. Not bothered as long as it is 4 on a bad day and 7++ on a good then thats o.k. with me.

This is what NTL told me.

I have satellite with bSkyb and phone with the post office, so maybe this was NTL's objective.

They said this when I phoned them last July when moving into this property.

Yes you should get a reasonable speed with AOL then. :)

As far as i'm aware as i read the right forums, and their is no mention on Ntl's page that you have to take phone and tv to get broadband. But i know you can't get their digital tv without taking their phone line.

.....Actually thinking about it, when i cancelled my digital tv service with them i remember asking if i needed to have a phone line with my broadband and they said no. I currently just have a phone line and broadband. It's very hit and miss with Ntl whether you get a good broadband speed or not, especially on their 10mbit service. Luckily where i live mines perfect (currently).

I'm glad they didn't take the route of 'everyone on 10mb', that doesn't appeal to me. I'm happy on my 1mb connection right now.