'Da Vinci Code' tourists flock to Scottish chapel

ROSLIN, Scotland (AP) -- There's no mystical rose line running through it, no Star of David carved into the floor or hidden vault where the fabled Holy Grail may rest. And the brutal veil of metal scaffolding shrouding the chapel doesn't help either.

Reality at Rosslyn Chapel is very different from the portrayal in Dan Brown's hit thriller, "The Da Vinci Code," but the novel has been a welcome boost for a church in desperate need of repair.

The book suggests the medieval stone building perched in a gentle fold of the Pentland hills outside Edinburgh could be the repository of the fabled Holy Grail -- and with it the secret of whether Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene founded a dynasty.

Many visitors, although drawn by the novel, are skeptical of its theories.

Rosslyn hosted 117,000 visitors in 2005 -- more than three times the number three years ago -- and another 145,000 are expected this year, according to church director Stuart Beattie.

Hoping to swell those visitor numbers, VisitScotland, the official tourist agency, has invested $54,000 on a DVD, "The Rosslyn Enigma," which it is using to promote the destination in North America.

After the film's international release in May, "I guess more people will come but the rush is already with us," Beattie said.

Guides inform visitors that the chapel, which was built in the shape of a cross, was founded in 1446 by Sir William St. Clair, a Grand Master in the Knights Templar, an ancient order of benevolent knights.

The chapel needs $23 million to correct damaging repairs inflicted in the 1950s; visitors are charged $12.50 to enter.

Across the road from the chapel, an enterprising farmer markets "Da Vinci manure" at 90 cents a bag. :huh:

more

I don't think that's right they charge to enter a chapel, sure they need the money, but let people donate, don't look like you're charging admission to enter.

Ummm...

The book does not allege that the Holy Grail is hidden there. It alleges that it was once hidden there, but has been moved to a different location. Namely, the Louvre in France.

In any case, it's obviously a work of fiction, although very intriguing.

We need to get a TON of people to go to the Louvre and start wildly praying and dancing around the two pyramids. xd

I'm there, I'm dancing where are you?, you come up with these plans Valerus but you never follow through. :angry: :laugh:

Not religious but charging people to enter a church seems wrong and $23 million on repairs... :blink:
I don't think it's used for worship, esp. since it needs repairs. Probably being preserved as an historic site.