[UK]What HD Tv To Buy

Hi, my dad is leaving the navy soon and is interested in buying a new HD tv,

so basically im askign for help on a high quality HD ready tv, preferably with a HDMI connection or RGB connections (for my Xbox 360). I was looking at these 2

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/650_274461.html

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/650_262064.html

and that seems to be a good tv, the size, of the TV should be between 40" and 50" as my uncle has a 42" HD tv and we want a better one than that, hehe :p

so yeah, can anyone help me out by either saying the main things that i'd need to look out for, or any good HD tv sets for under ?1500

cheers

well i no nothing about High Definition so i wouldnt know, if Rear Projection isnt that good then i guess i can be moved to persuade my dad that a 32-42 HD Tv is good enough as long as its high quality.

and yes...i am not that good at halo 2, well i am kinda, i just dont play enough, or have a reliable connection to Xbox Live

I don't know what type of "experts" you guys are - but DLP TVs are fine. I have many friends which own them, and they are totally satisfied with them. In fact, they last longer then Plasma, and have the potential to look sharper.

cheers, i like that one, just gotta work on convincing dad to buy one now

also, in case he doesnt like the size of the tv (might be too big for our front room when we move) are the 2 links from Pc World anygood?

also, how do i connect my 360 up to the tv for HD?

The two PC World TVs you linked to are also very good. LG is a good brand - I've seen one of their TVs on display at Dixons (sorry, currys.digital lol), and it looked fantastic.

You'll have to connect your Xbox 360 via analogue cables, i.e. component cables, since 360 doesn't support DVI or HDMI.

All HD ready TVs should support some form of analogue input. I recommend that you confirm the TVs support component by looking at the spec on the LG website.

If you're not sure, post here.

Yeah, one of the Sony Bravia's ought to do the trick :)

And sadly yes, the X360 only supports component video, not HDMI :p

-Rich-

Yeah, one of the Sony Bravia's ought to do the trick :)

And sadly yes, the X360 only supports component video, not HDMI :p

-Rich-

It has VGA which is present on most LCD sets.

so to enable HD on my 360, i should connect via the RGB socket? on a HD set would that literally have a red green and blue coloured input like a red white yellow would? or would the RGB connect to the RWY scart adapter then into a SCARt socket? and then enable the HD on the scart cable itself?

im still working on getting my dad to buy a tv asap, but we've just bought a house and hes moaning that anythign about 40" is too big *cries*

cheers for help so far guys

No I don't think you connect using RGB/Scart...they are for standard definition.

I think you'll have to use the "1 (Y,Pb, Prou Y, Cr, Cb) Input" (from pixmania page for the Sony Bravia) - that's component afaik.

I don't have an Xbox 360 or HDTV, so someone else will need to confirm.

I'm not afriad to generalise: If you buy a TV from Comet/Currys/PC World etc, you WILL pay too much. Places like RGB Direct (www.rgbdirect.co.uk) offer much more competitive prices, better yet, John Lewis will pricematch RGB Direct's in-store prices no matter how far away you live from Ilford (RGB's in-store prices are usually only a little higher than their web prices), and John Lewis will provide a free 5 year warranty (or at least they did when I bought my Panasonic TX26LXD52 last year).

As for which TV to go for... The vast majority of people here won't have experience of many different models, and will automatically start recommending what they have because they're pleased with it, that by no means that it's a great TV. By a magazine such as What Plasma & LCD (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/whatplasma/) and read PROFESSIONAL REVIEWS to decide which TVs are worth getting.

Last year, when I was shopping for a new set, all the magazines said that Panasonic's line of Viera LCD and Plasma sets were some of the best you could buy, so that's what I bought, but for all I know the situation could have changed dramatically for this year's models.

so to enable HD on my 360, i should connect via the RGB socket? on a HD set would that literally have a red green and blue coloured input like a red white yellow would? or would the RGB connect to the RWY scart adapter then into a SCARt socket? and then enable the HD on the scart cable itself?

im still working on getting my dad to buy a tv asap, but we've just bought a house and hes moaning that anythign about 40" is too big *cries*

You'd connect it to the VGA input on the TV.

ah right cheers guys,

i thought the Red Green and Blue scart input would have enabled me to get HD as thats a main reason for the Premium Pack containing them.

ill check out that magazine, and those sites you recommended Spielo, and today Novatech (local store) emailed me with this Tv

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpag...l?hyd-q421h&P=0

i like this one, i think my dad does too as he asked me to show it to him, and does have Red Green and Blue inputs that i THINK i need to play HD xD

RGB isn't a socket per-se. RGB is a signal type that can be carried by a SCART cable. An Xbox 360 premium pack comes with a component video (note: different from a composite cable), which uses three connectors that are coloured Red, Green and Blue (plus red/white for audio). The confusion lies in the fact that the red, green and blue cables do not carry red, green and blue colour information, they're just coloured like that.

So, to play HD games on your 360, you don't need an RGB SCART socket, you need a Component input, which is three sockets coloured red, green and blue :)

Also, I agree with your dad! People with TVs too big for their rooms are morons. I've seen people with 42" sets in rooms marginally bigger than your average cardboard box, and it looks ridiculous, and is VERY uncomfortable to watch. Your (dad's) money would be much better spent on a high-quality 37" or 32" set that actually suits the room it's in (note that TVs always look MUCH smaller in the shops than in the room they're going into; find out the dimensions of a set you're interested in and measure out the space in the room you'd be putting it in, you'll be surprised how bit a 32" or 37" TV actually is when put into a living room.

yeah we've done that, cause at first we wanted a 50 inch, well I wanted :p, measured it out, its like 1.5 meteres, by 1 meter, by half a meter. and we were like, jesus christ thats big. so anywhere between 32-42 seems to be fine.

say my dad bought that Novatech tv that i found (the Hyundai one)

i checked and on the back it has a Red,White,Yellow, input as well as a Red Green Blue and a Red and White for audio, so basically, of the 6 connecters on the premium cable, the only one that wouldnt be plugged in is the yellow, then i'd need to use the switch to change from TV to HD on the main cable?

ah right cheers guys,

i thought the Red Green and Blue scart input would have enabled me to get HD as thats a main reason for the Premium Pack containing them.

ill check out that magazine, and those sites you recommended Spielo, and today Novatech (local store) emailed me with this Tv

i like this one, i think my dad does too as he asked me to show it to him, and does have Red Green and Blue inputs that i THINK i need to play HD xD

Just to be clear on the X360 front:

component_hd_av_cable_xb360.jpg

This is the standard Xbox 360 Premium Pack video cable. From left to right we have:

1. Component "Red" Cable

2. Component "Green" Cable

3. Component "Blue" Cable

4. Right Speaker Audio Cable (Red)

5. Left Speaker Audio Cable (White)

6. Composite Video Cable (Yellow)

For High Definition, you must connect 1, 2 and 3 to a component input on an HDTV, and 4 and 5 to the TV's audio input.

For standard definition, you must connect 6 to a composite input on a TV, and 4 and 5 to the TV's audio input. TVs that do not have a seperate composite input can accept the signal by connecting 4, 5 and 6 to a SCART adaptor to deliver the composite signal via SCART. People without HDTVs can purchase an RGB SCART cable that delivers better quality, but not HD signal to a TV via SCART.

You can also use a VGA cable to acheive High Definition on an HDTV with VGA input or PC monitor. In the UK, fewer TVs have VGA input than component input, so this method is both more hassle, and more expensive.

I'm always very skeptical about TVs from companies that aren't well known for making good TVs... I'd be sure to try and find a professional review, or at least a review from somebody with a lot of experience before making a purchase. I couldn't vouch for the picture quality on that set, and while it does have an HDCP-capable DVI port, the industry standard is set to be HDMI. While HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, it's less hassle to get a TV with HDMI now, rather than wishing you'd got one with HDMI when you buy an HD DVD or Blu Ray player (or PlayStation 3).

For that money, I'd much rather take something like a 37" Panasonic TH37PX60CAB, which should have superb picture quality (though I haven't read reviews for this year's models yet) from www.rgbdirect.co.uk (or pricematched at John Lewis for the free 5 year warranty, if there's one near you).

I would recommend you go to a shop and compare some different models, but most shops have their TVs connected to really poor quality sources, so it's hard to tell... Instead, try signing up at www.avforums.com and searching for model numbers there, there's a lot of people there who really know their stuff, and they're a pretty helpful lot too :)

aaaah right, cool cheers, although i don't think we'll be getting a HD DVD or Blu Ray player such as a Ps3 anytime in the next 5 years really, if i get a job i might buy one myself and yes, it would be useful seeing as its industry standard.

cheers, Spielo, you've been a big help, wonder if you're any good at convincing my dad to buy a new car or actually go ahead and buy the tv lol

checked out John Lewis,

i like this one

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Tele...84/Product.aspx

this one doesnt say if it has RGB but is also nice

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Tele...22/Product.aspx

this one also doesnt say if it has RGb

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+TV/Tele...99/Product.aspx

just on a side note, how come most of the Samsung Tv's dont seem to have RGB input but only VGA? or is that me just not finding the right Samsung Tv's?

yeah i like that Panasonic TH37PX60P more and more i look at it (the 37" version) luckily we also have a John Lewis about 30mins from us too which is a bonus.

Edited by sharpy2k4