fat32 or ntfs


Recommended Posts

NeonGenesis
Originally posted by xStainDx

No, That is incorrect, sending files across your network, will not have any problem. the problem only lives on 9x/ME IF its a physical drive and/or partition in THE SAME system, the 9x/ME parition will NOT see the NTFS Volume. Sending Files over a network is possible.

Alright, excellent, thank you for your help. Now I'm off to go convert to NTFS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
AgEnTsMiTh

NTSF All the way

Security features

Better compression

Faster and just smart to do.

Only reason you would want to debate this is if you were dual booting with win 98. ME is not even a question because it sucked.

But even then if you were dual booting with win 98 all you would have to do is install it with FAT16 and you would be able to dual boot with 2000 or XP. If you use FAT32 with 98, it will not be compatiable.

Anyone who says NTSF degrades gaming preformance does not know what they are talking about or have an older then dirt video card.

Use NTSF its the ONLY structure you should use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven
Originally posted by AgEnTsMiTh

NTSF All the way

Security features

Better compression

Faster and just smart to do.

Only reason you would want to debate this is if you were dual booting with win 98. ME is not even a question because it sucked.

But even then if you were dual booting with win 98 all you would have to do is install it with FAT16 and you would be able to dual boot with 2000 or XP. If you use FAT32 with 98, it will not be compatiable.

Anyone who says NTSF degrades gaming preformance does not know what they are talking about or have an older then dirt video card.

Use NTSF its the ONLY structure you should use.

Feeling a bit dislesic? :p

NTFS** ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
azazel-

Neither.

Format your disk into as many Fat16 partitions as you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
freeza

once you go NTFS you won't ever go back!

Link to post
Share on other sites
bigmoose
Originally posted by azazel-

Neither.

Format your disk into as many Fat16 partitions as you can.

wonty work on my 100giggeR!

Link to post
Share on other sites
MulletRobZ

NTFS is recommended and if you're using a Maxtor drive (40GB+) , then you can only use NTFS when installing W2K or WXP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cp6un

If you use a decent dual boot program like Acronis OS Selector, then you won't have any problems dual-booting Win9x/WinXP using NTFS...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nick198614

Is there any easy way to change from FAT32 to NTFS without reseting Windows XP?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven
Originally posted by Nick198614

Is there any easy way to change from FAT32 to NTFS without reseting Windows XP?

Start > Run > CMD.exe

Convert (Drive Letter) /FS:NTFS

Link to post
Share on other sites
H1REN

FAT32 is good if you have slower :( hard drive

i had 5400 rpm 20 gig and i installed windows on NTFS.

it was slower then FAT32 on that hd.

Hiren.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DigitalFreedom

jw, if i ever need to, how can i get back to fat32 just incase, lets say,... i wanna go back to win 98 for sum strange resson, can i go from ntfs to fat32, using cmd, and not partion magic as its not supported in win.net:ninja:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
neolander

how many of you using the winxp with ntfs format? currently i am using the winxp in C: with fat32 and win98 with fat32 in D:.......

if i wanna convert the fat32, will i corrupt the win98 in D: ?

what are the advantages if i use the ntfs format?

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
Selecta

i use at home ntfs, at first (win98,dos,winme,win95 and winxp) i used fat32 but i've converted my partitions with partionmagic into ntfs, and its faster than fat32 and more stable!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Xahid

yea, u don't need to convert ur C: partition into NTFS,

if you did, then you can't get access to win98.

if you want to use both O'S, then

C: => Win 98 @ FAT32

D: => Win XP @ NTFS

Link to post
Share on other sites
neolander

thanks...so many valuable advices.......any precaution should i take before i convert them to ntfs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Xahid

BackUp or use Partition Magic 8,

PM8 will make your task easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
neolander

how abt the games running under ntfs format?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Xahid

Everything will work fine and smooth....

Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.